New Airfix F8 OOB build

Louise

I've a love for the Meteor. I recently sat in the cockpit of the 2 seater at Old Sarum and pondered "am I really fat or were those pilots back then really slim even with a flying suit on!  It's a tiny thing to sit in yet occupies a hell of a lot of space.  I've had absolutely no luck building any of the MPM/Special Hobby versions so was pleased to find Airfix are going to do a new tooling.  I got one from Hannants having it mailed over the pond (they still aren't available from any US supplies).

I started this Oct 23rd, posted on the 72scale forum, and now here.  Basically I was eager to try it out so that I could go buy more if I liked it.  I slapped it together in 1 day, unpainted just to see what's what.  Overall it's excellent, just some heavy clamping required on the nacelles to conform the shapes while drying.  I followed the build sequence but would not in the future.  The nose/undercarriage assembly would be better assembled not as a complete step as per instructions but as two separate assemblies. Stick the undercarriage assembly directly to the cockpit assembly when joining the airframe. I think this has been mentioned on another build topic(?) on this site. Otherwise it's a real PITA obtaining a good fix with the nose.

As the cockpit is black, I didn't bother painting the cockpit before assembling the kit.  That will all be painted later.  There will be little to discern with closed cockpit.

So here she is, still a few small parts to be added before she's ready for priming.  Nothing more than some runs of Valejo plastic putty required. Meantime back to Hannants and buy a couple more....

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 6

18 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Welcome aboard to the build, seeing as this one is mostly done its eligible for the inspiration gallery. Any other un-started Meteor kits may go into the standard gallery. 

OK, I wasn't too sure as time to get it finished far exceeds this so far!

• Like 1

Thanks for the pictures of an unpainted build - I really want get one of these. I see that Airfix have had a go at the pressure framing around the cockpit tub, but it looks slightly clumsy and could do with a bit of refinement including reducing the height of it slightly, and linking it up properly to the rear of the windscreen, as shown here: https://www.alamy.com/gloster-meteor-f8-jet-aircraft-cockpit-image256178154.html.  Still, it's a noble effort and I'm quite impressed.

Justin