MIG 21 twin launcher for R60

cherisy

Evening all

Can anyone tell me when the twin launcher for the R60 (aphid) was first fitted to the Mig 21 ?

I've seen photos online that probably date from the early 90s but I am more interested  in the  Soviet era and in particular  the 1980s.

Thanks in advance

10 hours ago, Shorty84 said:

Maybe someone else will correct me but according to Wiki, the MiG-21MF was the first version to employ the R-60 on twin P-62-2 launchers:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Mikoyan-Gurevich_MiG-21_variants#Armament

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikojan-Gurewitsch_MiG-21#Bewaffnung

Cheers

Markus

Thanks Markus hadn't seen that.

Hi there 

Well regarding the Russian R-60 Wymopel (Aphid) I always wonder to know that other than its used by Ethiopian AF Su-27 to shootdown the Eritrean AF MiG-29 where or when had been use sucefully  and against what

Ahhhh Alsowere used by Cuban Mig-23/29 to shoot down a pair Cessna 337

Regards

Armando

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, RAGATIGER said:

Well regarding the Russian R-60 Wymopel (Aphid) I always wonder to know that other than its used by Ethiopian AF Su-27 to shootdown the Eritrean AF MiG-29 where or when had been use sucefully  and against what

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R-60_(missile)#Operational_history

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, RAGATIGER said:

Are you sure about that?

I have never seen any R-60 on any Flanker variant. I doubt it was even integrated....

I'd assume those were R-73... or unlikely R-27...

On the MiG-29 on the other hand it was. Not sure though on 9.13 variants...

2 hours ago, exdraken said:

Are you sure about that?

I have never seen any R-60 on any Flanker variant. I doubt it was even integrated....

I'd assume those were R-73... or unlikely R-27...

On the MiG-29 on the other hand it was. Not sure though on 9.13 variants...

The Wympel R-60 is carried by Mig-29 (9-12) and (9-13) and by Sukhoi Su-22,Su-24 and Su-25.

Saluti

Giampiero

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, cherisy said:

Evening all

Can anyone tell me when the twin launcher for the R60 (aphid) was first fitted to the Mig 21 ?

I've seen photos online that probably date from the early 90s but I am more interested  in the  Soviet era and in particular  the 1980s.

Thanks in advance

I can't imagine anything was developped for the MiG-21 in Russia (i.e. post Soviet Union)

so needs to pre-date that considerably, no?

some more info here

https://en.missilery.info/missile/r60

MiG-23 MFs and MiG-21 MFs had them, also seen on MiG-25, Su-24, and probably Su-15s

Earliest pics I have seen are from the mid 70s - on p. 78 of the Mikoyan MiG-23 & MiG-27 tome in Yefim Gordon and Dmitriy Komissarov Famous Russian Aircraft range are shots of an uncoded factory fresh early allover grey MiG-23M (version produced until 1978) with the twin rails fitted under the belly (as well as an interesting shot with added underwing APU-60 single rails, for a six R-60 load).

HTH,

Andre

• Like 1

In 1975, the lead batch of APU-60-II aircraft launchers was released. They are a modification of the APU-60-III launcher that was originally developed and did not go into the series. The APU-60-II launcher allows simultaneous suspension of two R-60 missiles.

APU-60-II is structurally a beam consisting of a frame and two pylons put on it. Electrical equipment (communication, power supply, control, delay units) is placed inside the frame; in the pylon there is an electromechanical lock, an anti—vibration mechanism and a mechanism for cutting off the electric lift of the rocket. To reduce aerodynamic drag, front and rear fairings are installed on the APU-60-II. The frame and pylons are made of lightweight and durable aluminum profile. The pylons have rail guides with a special hard coating. Structurally, the pylons are completely interchangeable with the pylons included in the starting devices of all modifications of the APU-60-I.

The mounting of the APU-60-II on aircraft is carried out through a beam holder by means of eye bolts.

The APU-60-II aircraft launcher was produced in right and left versions to ensure the symmetry of the suspension on the carrier.

The main tactical and technical characteristics of the APU-60-II
Weight - no more than 71 kg;
Dimensions - 2020x250x335 mm;
The force of the rocket descent is 120 ± 60 kgf;
The number of launches from one APU is 150.

Edited by Dmitriy1967
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 6

On 11/23/2022 at 11:12 PM, Dmitriy1967 said:

In 1975, the lead batch of APU-60-II aircraft launchers was released. They are a modification of the APU-60-III launcher that was originally developed and did not go into the series. The APU-60-II launcher allows simultaneous suspension of two R-60 missiles.

APU-60-II is structurally a beam consisting of a frame and two pylons put on it. Electrical equipment (communication, power supply, control, delay units) is placed inside the frame; in the pylon there is an electromechanical lock, an anti—vibration mechanism and a mechanism for cutting off the electric lift of the rocket. To reduce aerodynamic drag, front and rear fairings are installed on the APU-60-II. The frame and pylons are made of lightweight and durable aluminum profile. The pylons have rail guides with a special hard coating. Structurally, the pylons are completely interchangeable with the pylons included in the starting devices of all modifications of the APU-60-I.

The mounting of the APU-60-II on aircraft is carried out through a beam holder by means of eye bolts.

The APU-60-II aircraft launcher was produced in right and left versions to ensure the symmetry of the suspension on the carrier.

The main tactical and technical characteristics of the APU-60-II
Weight - no more than 71 kg;
Dimensions - 2020x250x335 mm;
The force of the rocket descent is 120 ± 60 kgf;
The number of launches from one APU is 150.

Wow I didn't  realise they went back as far as 1975 !

Thats great info many thanks. I take it these were for the Mig 21 Bis and SMT only ?

On 11/21/2022 at 6:13 AM, Hook said:

Earliest pics I have seen are from the mid 70s - on p. 78 of the Mikoyan MiG-23 & MiG-27 tome in Yefim Gordon and Dmitriy Komissarov Famous Russian Aircraft range are shots of an uncoded factory fresh early allover grey MiG-23M (version produced until 1978) with the twin rails fitted under the belly (as well as an interesting shot with added underwing APU-60 single rails, for a six R-60 load).

HTH,

Andre

And I've got that book but missed it  I'll dig it out later and take a look.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, cherisy said:

Thats great info many thanks. I take it these were for the Mig 21 Bis and SMT only ?

It's probably easier to name planes where it wasn't used. :)

Here is an article about the R-60 rocket. The article is in Russian, but I hope Google translator will help you understand.

R-60 / R-60M - AA-8 APHID

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Dmitriy1967 said:

Here is an article about the R-60 rocket. The article is in Russian, but I hope Google translator will help you understand.

Spasibo Dmitriy!

I have the decals for the Sukhoi Su-24MR in commemorative markings celebrating 100 years of VVS.

Saluti

Giampiero

• Like 1

On 11/25/2022 at 11:06 PM, cherisy said:

Wow I didn't  realise they went back as far as 1975 !

According to my references, the SMT / bis were the first versions wired for the R-60 when built.

The only MF's that could carry them as delivered from the construction line were the Izdeliye 96D Gorki-built export versions that had some bis features (Eduards 1/72nd MiG-21MF "interceptor" boxings). 

HTH,

Andre

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Dmitriy1967 said:

Thankyou for sharing that Demitriy. I've learnt a few things from that . I never knew it was in service as early as 1974 and I certainly  didn't know that it was fitted on the MI 8 and MI 24. I've both in the stash so there's an option for an Afghanistan  or East Germany  option there.

• Like 1