Airfix 1/72 Tempest.(new tool)

stevej60

Hi folk's saw this for the first time in my LMS I'd seen BM's review and thought how nice it looked so it came home with me and started it a few days ago.

very similar cockpit set up the the newish tool Hurricane in it's costruction exept Airfix have used a single piece molding for the wheel well boxing in.

sprayed the interior then dry brushed the very nice detailing,An excellent decal sheet included with the full D-day stripes which is a nice touch.

20221119_192138

20221119_192204

20221119_192238

20221119_192217

• Like 15

Hope you enjoy your build, I built one as a Mk. VI using a Freightdog conversion set which wasn't intended for the New Airfix kit which goes together beautifully with very little need for filler if you are careful.

Enjoy

Gondor

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Gondor44 said:

Hope you enjoy your build,

So far so good Gondor!Before I join the upper/lower wing assembly heres the one piece wheel well boxing in,scrape a little off to get a nice fit on the wing's a dry run

or two was needed before gluing.

20221120_191523

• Like 8

Evening folk's,fuselage went together a dream just a little sanding along the join needed.

20221123_104800

Same story with the wing's then clicked into place with the fuselage again no filler at all needed on this build.

20221124_155452

• Like 10

Hi folk's,after primer I painted the underside light gray then upper darker gray,decided to paint the stripes rater than use the decals so masked and sprayed the white area which turned out fine.

Once the black is painted I'll mask the edges and brush paint on the green.

20221130_200724

• Like 11

I too went the painting route for the invasion stripes. I did try with the decals at first, but just could not get them to sit right over the details on the wings. IMO looks much better when they are painted on. 

Looking good so far!

• Thanks 1

Afternoon Folk's,mask on,mask off and lower surfaces finished.

20221204_155643

Aifix decals are now up there with the best and they seem to be overtaking even the AM guys I wonder if there may be an extra income in Airfix branded decals to compliment their kits

the way Esci used to.

20221204_155620

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Evening folk's,really enjoying this kit plus it's been a long time since I tackled a prop fighter,anyway hopefully a couple more session's should see her done.

The wash really got into the panel lines and brought the detailing out nicely.

20221213_181333

• Like 7

Looking shiny and very lovely, Steve.

It's sort of mind boggling that Bea was (IIRC)* a Group Captain, and only around 24 when he flew this Aircraft.

*I don't think I'm far out, It's been a while since I read about him).

• Like 2

Nice work going on there.

I like the idea of Airfix doing their own brand/ line of aftermarket decals. Could work out well for them. I recall back in the 70s the likes of Hasegawa and ESCI doing decal sets but never saw that many. The ESCI ones were of the time and not brilliant but the options and range was good. With the current decal quality in Airfix kits ,maybe they will do well. Who knows?🤔

• Like 2