Hunting down an obscure little book from my youth.

SoftScience

Hi all, 

I'm not sure which subforum to put this in, so I'll throw it in here for maximum exposure to the hive mind.

When I was still a young dude, just getting into airplanes around 1990, my dad bought me this little pocket sized book with aircraft profiles. A color aircraft profile spanned each two open pages, and a few key facts about the plane were below it. A small drawing of alternate marks were in the bottom corner. The book had aircraft from both world wars. Later I also got a volume with modern tanks, but it didn't hit the same. The book was softcover and smaller than the Salamander volumes.

Memory is fuzzy about where the book was purchased, but given that it was 1990 and Chicago, I imagine a Walden Books or B. Dalton. The book became something of a bible for me. I would trace the profiles and draw different modifications to the planes, and would check off the types as I got them in model form. I remember the goal was to get all the WW II types that were illustrated. Never even came close.

I read and reread the book so many times that it literally fell apart. I forgot about it, but then about 10 years ago, saw a similar book of profiles and have searched high and low for my holy grail. I've tried all kinds of searches online but to no avail. 

I'm not sure how else to look for it, so I'm hoping maybe somebody in this crowd knows what I had, and can help me out.

Thanks for reading.

• SoftScience changed the title to Hunting down an obscure little book from my youth.
  • 1 year later...

On 19/11/2022 at 23:49, SoftScience said:

Concise Color Guides: Aircraft World Wars I & II.

It's not a great book, no doubt. It's value is all wrapped up in nostalgia. 

By the way, talking about books and education If you're having trouble analyzing the literary devices in "It Ends With Us," check out this content here on GradesFixer. It breaks down the nuances and adds a whole new layer to your understanding. As a student, this resource has been a game-changer for me, especially when diving deep into literature. Hope it helps you too! Happy reading!

Oh wow! Thank you for naming it! 

Edited by Tyler_Sanchez

On 11/19/2022 at 9:49 PM, SoftScience said:

Concise Color Guides: Aircraft World Wars I & II.

It's not a great book, no doubt. It's value is all wrapped up in nostalgia.

The greatness of a book is in its power to inspire you - all other considerations of quality are irrelevant

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 11/19/2022 at 9:49 PM, SoftScience said:

. It's value is all wrapped up in nostalgia. 

It's great when you can finally scratch that itch that's been bothering you for years.

In my case it was discovering that the monster movie 8 year old me had seen on TV

and spent 45 years tracking down was called "Space Amoeba".  And then 84 minutes to

realise I shouldn't have bothered !  :)

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, IanHx said:

It's great when you can finally scratch that itch that's been bothering you for years.

In my case it was discovering that the monster movie 8 year old me had seen on TV

and spent 45 years tracking down was called "Space Amoeba".  And then 84 minutes to

realise I shouldn't have bothered !  :)

Been there, done that - with several movies!

On 12/27/2023 at 8:29 PM, Admiral Puff said:

Been there, done that - with several movies!

Also with many so called "classic" kits that I have great memories of building as a kid. Sometimes it's best to let the memories stay as memories, rather than ruin them with an update :)