Republic Thunderbolt P-47D in 1/48 scale

Einar

I've always liked the looks of the massive “Jug”, i.e. the barrel-shaped Republic Thunderbolt P-47D, and prefer its bubbletop version to the razorback one.

The painting of the USAF Thunderbolts was very colorful at the end of the war, and the well-known "Tarheel Hal" is an excellent example of that. There is still an airworthy one in the USA, painted in that colourful “camo”.

Tarheel Hal was the personal mount of Lt. Davis in the 9th Air Force, on the European theatre. Tar heel is the nickname given to the residents of North Carolina, and it is also used for students at the University of North Carolina.

I built my model from the Academy kit, but I got the decals from the USA through one of the international model forums. The decals are probably from an old Hasegawa P-47D model that I believe is no longer available. For the modeI also used photoetch parts from Eduard. The kit was of good quality and I didn’t encoungter any problems in the assembly. I painted the metal colour fuselage and wings with Alclad aluminium after having primed the areas with Tamiya black rattle-can spray.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Toryu said:

You built an excellent replica of this well-known Thunderbolt. I do like the colourful 9th AF markings, too. Well done!

Thank you Toryo!

Einar

8 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

A pink T-bolt? Or you may have to consult the manual of your camera. on how to set white balance… 😉

Beautiful model, as always! Though I had almost expected a one-off Finnair Thunderbolt.

Kind regards,

Joachim

Thanks Joachim and sorry about the lack of white balance. I'll fix the problem!

Cheers 

Einar 

13 hours ago, georgeusa said:

Very nice looking Thunderbolt and well done on the NMF.  Thanks for sharing.

Thanks George

Einar 

7 hours ago, kapam said:

I never tire of seeing all those late-war T-Bolt schemes in scale!

You have done an excellent job!

Very eye-catching!

👏👏

Thanks kapam!

Einar 

51 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

He wanted to be seen, didn't he! A really great build :)

Martin

Thanks Martin! ..and yes, the painting of the T-bolt was a real anti-camouflage😄

Einar