The true old times are dead (1/72 92 Squadron Lightning F.2)

And that's that. Grant has RSV, and Mrs P, who let him get in his baby sister's face all week, is having a nervous breakdown. I am no longer going to New Orleans for work.

• Sad 17

Sorry to hear your woes Edward. We have been in hospital with one of our '*boys' this week. (*He's 22). For the squeamish among us (including me, I can hardly type this) gloss over the next few lines. He was servicing one of his bikes, and got his index finger caught inbetween the chain and chain wheel, where in true cheap B movie gore flick fashion is acted exactly as you think it would, breaking clean through the bone and severing the end off. He was on his own, and coped really well, calling mum, who called our neighbours round while she rode home from work. He let them in before he passed out.

He's just had what's left of the tip, minus the nail, stitched back on this morning. My wife says they've done a pretty neat job. It's not his first rodeo at this sort of thing, he's doing OK. And it's only Wednesday.
I only recount this as maybe a slight distraction from your own woes. I wish you much Churchillian spirit to see you through these testing times. "If you are going through hell, keep going"

• Sad 14

5 minutes ago, Quiet Mike said:

For the squeamish among us (including me, I can hardly type this) gloss over the next few lines.

Jesus Christ! As if I didn't have enough reasons not to ride a bike already.

• Like 3
  • Haha 10

Reading through this has been terribly entertaining as all of the issues you have found with the kit have been identical to the issues I have found on my current build... even down to the gap on the port inboard flap 😆  I'm glad you were the guinea pig for the metal intake ring as I was contemplating this myself. They do look good though so I may try one on the next Airfix one I build. 

• Thanks 1

Sorry to see this crap is still ongoing at Hedgehog House/Manor PC, surely has to be getting to the end of it all now so the wide open uplands get a sporting chance.

Looking forward to getting together in a bar somewhere so we can blow off angst  and steam.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, perdu said:

Looking forward to getting together in a bar somewhere so we can blow off angst  and steam.

Thanks, Bill. That sounds lovely.

Mrs P and baby now both have RSV. Mrs P was coming off a cold and is very groggy, baby is in good spirits so far and we are keeping a close eye on her. Grant seems to have turned the corner. 

• Like 15

9 hours ago, perdu said:

Can I second that!

As Bill suggests Edward, hang on in there. Many of us have been through similar angst stuff with families. Wishing you all a speedy route out through these challenges.

By the way. We have an informal weekly coffee morning (in Wimbourne) where a few members of our local model club get together and generally solve the world's problems. This morning, quite by chance, an elderly couple overheard our banter and we got chatting, only to find out as we chatted that the older man (who was pretty deaf and I would say in his early 80's) was an ex-RAF Lightning pilot! I asked if his deafness had been caused by Avon's and he found that very funny, but nodded in agreement! He regaled us with some tales for a while before leaving us to our coffee. A fantastic morning was had by all.

T.

• Like 11

Sorry that Maddy and Mrs P have now become unwell, and it is impacting on work. I am glad that Grant is improving. Hopefully things will improve soon. 

• 1 month later...

Hullo chaps,

I owe you all some kind of update.

The Lightning remains in limbo on my bench. I turned 40 on the 15th.

I am exhausted. Every day. I've truly entered the meaningless treadmill of middle age. At work I find myself sidelined and aging out in an industry that worships youth, and at home it's a constant struggle to take care of three children and their inscrutable mother. By the time the boys are in bed by eight and after Mrs P has finished showering and takes the baby back around 9, I'm so tired that I don't trust myself not to make mistakes modelling. The gulf between who I am now and the still vaguely optimistic man in his twenties who joined this site back in the 2010s couldn't be greater, it feels like. I hate virtually everything about my life right now, and yet it is the ineluctable consequence of choices I made myself, which weirdly doesn't make me feel a whit better. 

I just have to believe that this too will pass. I remember being pretty miserable when my other children were babies as well. 

PXL_20230319_192753230

• Like 15
  • Sad 7

Always a pleasure to see hoghedge posting, I can only add my hope that things turn corners for you.

Had to look up RSV as I wasn't sure if this was a modelling acronym that I'd not come across. 

For any sneezy, cold, fluey type symptom, my father swore by a used sock tied around the neck and worn overnight, (had to be your sock tho). Sounds rank but it seems to work.

Anyhoo you only have to hit a few bricks out to make a wall fall down

Box on

Strickers

• Thanks 1

Hang on in there Edward and think about what I got through back in the day (Edward knows what I mean)!

At the ripe old age of 68 I look back on my life so far (which had many good, and some not so good at all moments), and I can honestly say I would do it all again, so be very careful not to wish it away .......... 🥲

The young lady looks like a positive charmer!

Take much care.

Terry

• Like 6

It won't help you a jot Edward, but misery loves company.

I understand. I love my family, but watching my children expend energy feels like watching someone set fire to my own to torture me. I am everyone else's backup plan, and have no backup or safety net myself. I must perform. I'm an introvert who needs to earn money in an industry environment where extroverted emotional vampires need constant attention and the feeling like I actually care what they did at the weekend. We must listen constantly to campaigns to bring everyone back in to the office because the noisiest extroverts feel "energised" by it. Ergo those of us who communicate only when we need to and perform very well the way we want to do it are actually just energy sources for extroverts to consume because they lack an energy source of their own.

I made the mistake of starting a side business 8 and a bit years ago thinking it would be fun. It's got good points and some isn't so fun. It's a drain on time.

I enjoy problem solving hobbies like old cars and stuff like that, but it's energy intensive and I don't have it to spare. I'm knackered after having to maintain people all day every day. The role I have is a bit hard to describe, but in essence I fix things which go wrong, am to develop processes (or convince their owners to) such that things don't go wrong, stay ahead of our competitors and generally get to reconcile contradictory things which nobody else knows what to do with or develop material nobody else seems able to articulate.

I enjoy my model making, but the truth is I feel guilty about even thinking of doing it if I have outstanding more pressing tasks. As all will know, there is always a list of outstanding more pressing tasks. Thus, motivation for model making is usually close to zero - especially when it's a stage I don't really like doing.

And then the guilt trip messages from relatives who are frankly a net drain that I haven't spent time on them arrive.

Did you know that lots of modern, sage, sayings are complete contortions of the original meaning?

1) "Pull yourself up by your bootstraps". Written by privileged people who incorrectly attribute their fortunate circumstances to their own hard work. Actual origin is attributed to a late 19th century physics book with the question “Why can not a man lift himself by pulling up on his bootstraps?”. When someone asks you this idiotic question, just remember that it was originally written to make it obvious that this was an impossible task.

2) Blood is thicker than water. Written by toxic relatives who feel owed more than we might think. Originally it was "The blood of the covenant is thicker than the water of the womb", i.e. meaning the exact opposite. Relationships between people who mutually value and accept one another are worth more than shared DNA.

• Like 18

Sympathise I do young man, (when you are three quarters of the way into your first century a forty year old is but a stripling) but remember always that there, just there, is a young woman who will always reach for you because you are you.

Dad

As for the worship of youth that's always happening.

My career vaporised because old bones don't do things young ones are stupid enough to try, all industries cater for the young idiots coming along not the dregs of humanity they have stripped of usefulness and dignity.

Sit back and wait for the grandchildren your lovely babies may bring you and savour it when they do.

My grandson just paid me £60 that I had spent on him recently, with pleasure, with the words "You have done so much for me and it is time I gave a little bit back, plus I am an adult now so it's time I acted like one"

Kids can surprise too, 'tisn't all such a pity.

• Like 16