The true old times are dead (1/72 92 Squadron Lightning F.2)

3 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

My Daughter is 26 so Im halfway in between your Crikey’s. 😉

Actually, I used crikey in error. It should be creaky.     :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Haha 8

Very brief update:

I got the Reskit engines painted and added, but the step makes it look...not good. Which is too bad, because the kit resin bit was awful, tons of pinholes, and the inward-projecting portions of the jet pipes were subtly angled so it didn't quiiiite fit.

PXL_20221229_025631231

PXL_20221229_025613062

PXL_20221229_025608187

You can see the very prominent step. I almost wonder if the replacement aft section Quickboost makes for the Trumpeter Lightnings might not be a better bet.

Decals are starting to come on, including the wing walk stencils, which absolutely suck to put on. The Sword instructions for them are worse than useless, so I'm relying on the placement guide for the Xtradecal Lightning stencil sheet, with some theft of wing walk lines as well.

PXL_20221229_041405209

The metal replacement shock cone is on, atop a fair bit of noseweight, because you never know.

PXL_20221229_043301175

This build has suffered a great deal from overconfidence, which I'm not ordinarily overburdened with.

• Like 33

On 11/27/2022 at 11:01 AM, Mr T said:

MThe overall effect seems to be a somewhat overblown and hackneyed love story with an incidental shipwreck in the background.

Much like the execrable “Pearl Harbor,” which one reviewer described as “Japanese attack an American love triangle.”

• Haha 9

2 hours ago, Steve Coombs said:

That back end makes me think the jet pipes were designed for the Trumpeter abominations. Wasn't it Aires that provided the fix?

They were designed for the Airfix kit, but the plastic on the Sword fuselage is extremely thick, far more so than on the Airfix.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Procopius said:

This build has suffered a great deal from overconfidence, which I'm not ordinarily overburdened with.

It's certainly going better than the Sword T.3/4 that I'm rapidly losing interest in.

• Sad 1

Only just caught up from just before Christmas with the ongoing saga of the Lightning build and the US equivalent of 'The Archers'.The Lightning is looking very nice. I can understand your frustration. My current builds (the Pavla S6B and Mikro Mir AW52) are both causing me some grief. Christmas can b a very stressful time of year. One time my late father, go get a bit of peace, told my aunts that he was coming to us, and told me he was going to my aunts. Of course, he was found out and got stick from both of us, me on the grounds of why didn't he just tell us. Our daughter came back and both of my offspring reverted to being teenagers. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 6

10 minutes ago, Mr T said:

One time my late father, go get a bit of peace, told my aunts that he was coming to us, and told me he was going to my aunts. 

True genius.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

16 hours ago, Procopius said:

I almost wonder if the replacement aft section Quickboost makes for the Trumpeter Lightnings might not be a better bet.

I have an extra set of the Aires corrected "rear end" for the Trumpeter kit if you want it. I don't think Quickboost ever had one, but they are Aires anyway so that makes no difference. The set has a bit similar to what you've used, and then also the aft fuselage sides to replace the "abomination of desolation" that Trumpeter created. (Sorry, a little Old Testament humour there...but a truly wrathful God would have destroyed all copies of the Trumpeter kit just as quick as he zapped Sodom and Gomorrah.)

The exhausts (don't stare at the Trumpeter part in the background or you'll turn to stone)

100_1567

And the aft fuselage replacement (which you wouldn't need, so why did I post this photo?):

100_1571

Anyway, they're yours if you'd like them.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

And the aft fuselage replacement (which you wouldn't need, so why did I post this photo?):

100_1571

Anyway, they're yours if you'd like them.

I actually think it WOULD need the aft fuselage replacement, as the Sword plastic is hugely thick back there. And people are going to think that I'm just doing this build to get stuff from other people, which is ridiculous. As a howling vortex of pure need, everything I do is towards that end, not just hobby activities.

That said, yes please. I have another Sword Lightning single-seater thanks to Steve, and a trainer as well, so I'm certain one or the other would benefit from it. Let me know what you'd want for it!

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Procopius said:

That said, yes please. I have another Sword Lightning single-seater thanks to Steve, and a trainer as well, so I'm certain one or the other would benefit from it. Let me know what you'd want for it!

For you it's free. Consider it payment for all of your wonderful musings about parenting. I'll dig it out, but I'll need your new address. Otherwise, I'll send it to your old address and the current occupants would be very confused. Send me a PM.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I only stumbled onto this thread yesterday, so this may be too late, but I would like to point out that Barracuda Studios produces some excellent resin upgrade parts for the Airfix Lightning:

http://barracudacals.com/products.php?cat=15
I believe Hannant’s stocks these.

Disclaimer: I have no interest in Barracuda Studios other than as a satisfied customer.

21 hours ago, Space Ranger said:

I only stumbled onto this thread yesterday, so this may be too late, but I would like to point out that Barracuda Studios produces some excellent resin upgrade parts for the Airfix Lightning:

http://barracudacals.com/products.php?cat=15
I believe Hannant’s stocks these.

Disclaimer: I have no interest in Barracuda Studios other than as a satisfied customer.

They do, however, as I live in this large-scale social experiment across the waters, I order from them direct. In fact, I used one of their seats for this build!

• Like 3

Another pleasant catch-up over crimbo, lightning looking crisp and shiney like a Chaza pound coin.

May the road rise to meet you in 23

Box On

Strickers

• Thanks 1

On 12/27/2022 at 9:08 PM, Navy Bird said:

My son is 40. Imagine how crikey that makes me feel!    :)

Cheers,

Bill

One's own son is 39 and daughter is 37,they're of the age where car insurance is cheap enough,so like their Father,they only drive Audi,

Mercedes Benz or BMW.

Son is a manager for a water purification company,daughter a manager for a UK supermarket chain,fortunately,neither live at home,that's just the wife of 40 years,one's self and our Dachshund.

• Like 1

On 1/1/2023 at 4:19 AM, Dave Wilko said:

One's own son is 39 and daughter is 37,

Your son is my age, Dave! And clearly more successful. I share my wife's aging and deteriorating 2011 Subaru Forester, a car renowned for its ability to guzzle oil.

Sorry for no updates for a bit, the kids are on vacation, and I was, which meant a lot of co-parenting, and Winston had a really severe asthma flare-up that required doses of Ventolin every two hours through the night, meaning I didn't have a lot of time for modelling. He did tell me he wanted to write a book "about a superhero who's a dad", which is either because his current father is lacking, or because I'm apparently not doing a terrible job. It's also likely influenced by the fact that his grandmother let him listen to the obscenity-packed audiobook of The Life and the Times of the Thunderbolt Kid, by Bill Bryson while he was visiting her, the framing of that memoir having to do with secretly being a superhero.

I did receive the 1/48 Airfix Sea Vixen that I won at an auction (which I presume was an estate sale) as part of a lot, the remaining kits of which I allowed the boys to divide up amongst themselves, and instantly regretted it, both because I'm selfish, and because there was fighting.

PXL_20221229_225046623

PXL_20221229_225050960

Win picked the 1/48 Academy F4U-4, and 1/72 Hobbyboss F-5E, Italeri/Esci F-8 Crusader, and Minicraft Ventura. Grant took the 1/48 old-tool Airfix Hurricane, 1/48 Monogram Panther, 1/72 Minicraft/Hasegawa F-16A, and a 1/144 Revell Lufthansa Embraer 190. A 1/48 Tamiya F-51D (I suspect the prior owner of these kits had a 1/48 Korean War project planned at one point) was "claimed" by Mrs P to prevent squabbling. 

Grant is really taken with his airliner because it's German (he likes Germany...modern Germany, I found the boys drawing swastikas with the red no-symbol (Ø) surrounding them of their own accord, as heartening as it is cringeworthy to proudly share on social media, since they only know what I tell them about it, which does indeed merit a hearty no-symbol) and peaceful. 

PXL_20221230_214603713

Win has been working on the F4U-4. I have no idea how accurate it is, not my scale, but it's very nice to build. 

PXL_20221230_215535220

Unfortunately, the glue aggravates his asthma, so he can't do as much as often as he'd like. 

Mrs P cut her hair, which looks nice. This is a relief, as she wanted to get it cut "like [pop star] Pink", but Pink has millions of dollars and her haircut still looks awful, but mercifully, the hairdresser refused(!) to the point of claiming they didn't have a razor (when one was clearly visible three feet away) to provide the cut, and so Mrs P had to give a more flattering cut to herself in front of the mirror.

PXL_20230102_143403292

I also fixed my broken 3D-printer, to make some Star Wars statues for her to paint in her copious spare time, per her request.

0bc18e79-c663-4aee-b409-1371995beeab

I'm hoping to get back to the bench soonish...I just need things to stabilise here a bit. And then during the first week of February, I have to fly to New Orleans for work, a part of my job that I thought had ended with the pandemic. 

• Like 23

Sorry to hear of Winston's asthma  flare up. Unwell children are a worry, even when they grow up. 'The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kit' is an interesting book, in age he is between me and my older brother, but obviously lived in a completely different world, not withstanding the fact that our parents didn't have a lot of money.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Mr T said:

Sorry to hear of Winston's asthma  flare up. Unwell children are a worry, even when they grow up. 'The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kit' is an interesting book, in age he is between me and my older brother, but obviously lived in a completely different world, not withstanding the fact that our parents didn't have a lot of money.

My dad, who was born in 1956 and grew up as the son of second-generation immigrant plumber (my grandfather's parents emigrated from Swinford in 1910, a few years before my namesake was born), relates to a surprising amount of it, for someone who claims to have no memory of his childhood.

• Like 3

After reading intro etc, and having an Airfix Ligtning in Stash #1, I thought that a metal nose ring and shock cone would be a good addition to the bits n pieces, so I pinged a request off to Mini World. I didn't realise that they are based in Kviv, and are probably freezing their B******ks off due to the situation over there. I have been humbled by the fact that they are able to find a small bit of humour as they included a Mr Packy flier in with the order, this describes standard working practices for Ukrianian farmers and the best way to see off unwelcome ships in the Black Sea. For those that haven't used this company before I would strongly recommend reaching out to them. They are producing niche consumer items under challenging circumstances and on first inspection the parts look well made, so as the TESCO Supermarket advert says...Every little helps

I note that there was fighting over the recent models, I hope that you have recovered :) and are not too badly roughed up

Anyhoo

Box on

Strickers

• Like 7

Late last night, after watching the Poseidon Adventure (dreadful) with friends over Zoom, and swapping out a plate in the 3D printer*, I wandered over to the Lightning, and sanded it for a good ninety minutes around the tail.

PXL_20230104_080558894

PXL_20230104_080610759

Excuse the blurriness, it was almost 2AM.

My goal here was to thin down the exterior of the plastic to fair the Reskit engines into it. I had to use my scalpel a bit as well.

Before:

PXL_20221229_025608187

And after:

PXL_20230104_080602457

There's obviously going to be a bit of cleanup and sanding (and then more cleanup) still to come, but I think it's much improved now.

I also opened up the box of a 1/48 (I know...) Airfix Lightning F1A/F2/F3 boxing, and whoever was selling it must have been either doing so on consignment (in which case, they did a bad job), or as part of an estate sale (which, given the number of sex toys and lingerie -- used? -- they're apparently selling right now, suggests a modeller with a fascinating inner life), but clearly they didn't know anything about models, because the box was packed to the gills with aftermarket, all left unmentioned in the product description, and I paid less than retail for the kit to begin with.

PXL_20230104_152142563

There's a second Aeromaster decal sheet, two or three resin cockpit sets...unreal. 

* I'm making some Space Marines for Winston, with the ulterior motive of forcing him to do some reading (of stat lines) by playing a bowdlerised version of Warhammer with him, with dear old dad taking a dive. 

PXL_20230104_072343777

"Why are some missing hands, Edward?" Look, I get left and right mixed up sometimes, okay? 

• Like 20

35 minutes ago, Procopius said:

Look, I get left and right mixed up sometimes, okay? 

Easily done though. Want to confuse me? Invert a  model aeroplane and ask me to point out the starboard landing gear. 

Nice work on the jet-pipe sanding mate, a definite improvement B) 

Nice work with the Lightning aftermarket too, especially considering the box could have been stuffed with used lingerie :) 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Procopius said:

the box was packed to the gills with aftermarket, all left unmentioned in the product description, and I paid less than retail for the kit to begin with.

That's the kind of surprise I like from an online purchase. I recently took delivery of a Matchbox Meteor with a PR10 conversion kit and some white metal undercarriage included - a nice bonus!

Nice work on fairing in the Reskit parts, by the way :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Nice work on the exhausts, and I am impressed by the 3D Space Marines. Your dad is two years younger than I am, and so can probably relate to what early sixties America was like. I think one of the things that got me about it was how much space there was. Not surprising, given the size of the USA. I grew up on the outskirts of Nottingham, in the next street there were still gaps in the row of terraces from where the Luftwaffe were trying to hit the nearby ROF and  rail yards. Mrs T has some far more interesting history. 

• Like 1