1:48 de Havilland Mosquito FB Mk.VI - Banff Strike Wing *FINISHED*

Dunny

Totally agree with the final version of the paint job, Roger.  And, you did a great job with its execution.  The markings came out really well, too.  

The piece de résistance though is the undercarriage which looks spectacular, great job there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, mark.au said:

Totally agree with the final version of the paint job, Roger.  And, you did a great job with its execution.  The markings came out really well, too.  

The piece de résistance though is the undercarriage which looks spectacular, great job there.

Thanks very much Mark - I think the paint repair colour does kind've make sense. Appreciate the kind words,

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Impressive work Roger !!

Mmmh, I'll restart my mossie too...

Banff wing is a great choice too !!

Sincerely.

CC

Thanks CC! I do not recall your Mossie build, but my memory is not what it used to be...

• Like 2

One thought about the "invasion stripes". If these were painted "correctly", they would have been 120" wide in total, and thus extended further forward than the discoloured upper fuselage. As the stripes would have been removed quite early on the upper surfaces, and retained longer on the lower surfaces, would there not have been some colour effect of overpainted lower surfaces? Both fuselage and wings. Or, might there have been other causes for the fuselage spine discolouring? If so, there would not have been any reason for similar overpainting on the wings.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Vingtor said:

One thought about the "invasion stripes". If these were painted "correctly", they would have been 120" wide in total, and thus extended further forward than the discoloured upper fuselage. As the stripes would have been removed quite early on the upper surfaces, and retained longer on the lower surfaces, would there not have been some colour effect of overpainted lower surfaces? Both fuselage and wings. Or, might there have been other causes for the fuselage spine discolouring? If so, there would not have been any reason for similar overpainting on the wings.

Vingtor,

I believe that the stripes were 18" wide each, giving a total width of 90" for 5 stripes? From the photographs I have seen the 'saddle' position matches pretty well with the invasion stripe location. From the photographs of the airframe there is no noticeable difference in the Sky, but it is a much lighter colour and therefore less susceptible to fading (and also on the underside less exposed). Whatever the case, I am sticking to my theory but happy to see evidence to the contrary,

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 2

Looking at this again, I think the underside is so mucky (and, such fun to be had weathering this one!) that new paint would very quickly merge into old, especially as it’s the same colour.  The underside would have (probably) been overpainted in October ‘44, three or four winter months before the reference photos were shot.

As for the uppers, the saddle area matches, more or less, where stripes would have been.  Overpainted stripes is still the most plausible theory and as such would necessarily include overpainting on the wings.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, mark.au said:

Looking at this again, I think the underside is so mucky (and, such fun to be had weathering this one!) that new paint would very quickly merge into old, especially as it’s the same colour.  The underside would have (probably) been overpainted in October ‘44, three or four winter months before the reference photos were shot.

As for the uppers, the saddle area matches, more or less, where stripes would have been.  Overpainted stripes is still the most plausible theory and as such would necessarily include overpainting on the wings.

Thanks Mark,

I agree - I had considered a 'fresh' section of Sky but came to the same conclusion as you. As the lower stripes would have been painted over later, it's conceivable that EDSG was available for this element but not the uppers, hence the 'fresh' EDSG surround to the saddle. Good enough for me but appreciate the logic,

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 3

Just playing the "devil's advocate" role here, and I don't mind if I am wrong... 🙂

What about the thin stripe of EDSG between the overpainted DSG on the top and the Sky beneath. What happened here when the "invation stripes" were painted over, and EDSG was not available?

Still, a very interesting and well built model...

Nils

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Vingtor said:

Just playing the "devil's advocate" role here, and I don't mind if I am wrong... 🙂

What about the thin stripe of EDSG between the overpainted DSG on the top and the Sky beneath. What happened here when the "invation stripes" were painted over, and EDSG was not available?

Still, a very interesting and well built 

Hi Nils,

Happy to have the logic tested! The lower portion of the stripes would have extended roughly half way up the fuselage, as in the photo below:

Stripes.jpg

Therefore when they were overpainted, it would require the application of Sky and EDSG, hence the fresh stripe of EDSG (which I am proposing had now become available). Appreciate the kind words,

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1

Always enjoying a good discussion, Roger, especially about colours and markings. I am not concerned about being right or wrong. I am happy about whatever we can conclude about. 🙂

I was obviously wrong about the 120" wide stripes. Thanks for correcting me. I took the measures from a profile drawing (which I had made myself...). 🤥

The truth is out there - somewhere...  🥸

Edited by Vingtor
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Vingtor said:

The truth is out there - somewhere... 

That's why it's such fun Nils! Appreciate your input...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dunny said:

Thanks CC! I do not recall your Mossie build, but my memory is not what it used to be...

How, That's about normal, given the number of started kits....:rofl2::rofl2:

Well, The Revell one that is rectified to become a pathfinder...

And an old Airfix, modified as a Tse tse one....

Tse tse that have been used in the Banff wing....

Great mind think alike....:bandit:

Sincerely.

CC

• Haha 3

Hi All,

A little progress on the Mossie today! First job of the day was adding exhaust staining and oil staining to the nacelles:

20221203-123547.jpg

Once that had been done I permanently affixed the wings so the undercarriage could be fitted, and here she is on her legs:

20221203-125845.jpg

The final jobs for today were the spinners and exhausts:

20221203-132945.jpg

I've managed to procrastinate on the ordnance, so tomorrow will be RP day! I suspect it will also see this over the line,

Thanks for looking,

Roger

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

To Quote Christopher Eccleston - "Fantastic"

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks very Alistair - I must say I'm quite pleased with the way it's looking,

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Dunny said:

I must say I'm quite pleased with the way it's looking,

And, after a catch up, so am I. Well done, Roger.

BTW, I remember a piece from one of the 'forgotten voices' books.

A lady that was employed to paint Mosquito landing gear parts. Spraying without wearing masks.

It didn't mention the paint type, but she had to see a Doctor when she started throwing up blood.

It was affecting her throat and she was prescribed a pint of milk a day!

They also serve....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

And, after a catch up, so am I. Well done, Roger.

Thanks for the kind words Pete - much appreciated!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Looks fantastic Roger standing on it's undercarriage,  an awesome looking beastie .  Great job fella. 

Chris

Thanks very much Chris - looking forward to getting this over the line!

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

A lady that was employed to paint Mosquito landing gear parts. Spraying without wearing masks.

It didn't mention the paint type, but she had to see a Doctor when she started throwing up blood.

It was affecting her throat and she was prescribed a pint of milk a day!

They also serve....

Crikey - probably a lead additive? They certainly did all serve - my grandmother tested rifles for Lee Enfield, and was profoundly deaf later in life as a result...

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

• Dunny changed the title to 1:48 de Havilland Mosquito FB Mk.VI - Banff Strike Wing *FINISHED*

Hi All,

Well there really wasn't too much more to get the Mossie over the line. I spent yesterday detail painting the RP load, and they were duly attached. Today has been about adding the final fiddly bits and rigging, and I'm calling this one done! Here's a few teaser shots:

20221206_144138.jpg

20221206_144145.jpg

20221206_144200.jpg

20221206_144212.jpg

I've very much enjoyed this build and learning more about the actions of the Banff Strike wing. Thanks to all that have followed along and offered encouragement - it is sincerely appreciated! Special mention must go to @Lawzer, @TBC, @Matt_ and @Vingtor, who have all contributed useful information which has enriched the build. I'll post over in RFI,

Thanks for looking,

Roger

• Like 12

1 minute ago, bigbadbadge said:

Looks fantastic Roger,  I do like the scheme and the DDG areas add a great deal of interest.  A Mossie with go faster stripes !!! Love it.

Great work fella, you are motoring through these builds.

Chris

Thanks very much Chris - I'm pleased you approve of the scheme! Glad to have it over the line,

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 2