Belkits MG Metro 6R4 1/24 (BEL-015)

Belkits MG Metro 6R4 1/24 (BEL-015) - Stash Order 14 

This is the twelth and final build of my stash bash which aimed to reduce my anxiety of too many kits and not enough time and get the stash to a manageable level of 2. Links to the others at the bottom.

My newest kit that I really wanted to do justice to. I decided to make a Tony Pond version as I used to work for Roversport parts and had worked with him I actually sold parts for the 6R4 so it was a bit of a nostalgic build. The kit is lovely, and the interior and engine extremely good and a joy to build. Only the rubber HT leads were a bit fiddly, but i got there in the end. The only thing slightly wrong with the interior is I painted the dash counter colour is not quite the right shade, but I can live with it.  

Some builds I saw had an issue with the steering rack but looking at them I think this is because of a construction error as the instructions could be misinterpreted, mine went together with no problems at all 

The body though has been sprayed about 3 times, it was almost perfect first time but I had a significant blue overspray on the top of the rear wheel arch, I did think I could sand it off but went through the white to the bare body, got annoyed so stripped and started again. I used Tamya Primer for the white and Zero 6R4 blue, both nice paints. Decalcas provided the decals and these were excellent as were the kit ones. My only reservation is the lettering on the front number plate that looks a bit odd from digit to digit.  I decided to try and spray a gloss finish by airbrush after reasonable success with the previous Ferrari. I used Tamiya X22 thinned with Mr Colour levelling thinner. Turned out quite good. I think previously I didn't trust the mist coat thinking it would give a rough finish, but after reading a few good articles and understanding that the newer coat effectively melts the mist coat a little I was more confident to let the mist dry a bit more and then lay that heavier coat with less risk of runs. A bright light was definitely needed though to see that glossy coat. After getting the paint to an acceptable finish I thought I would Klear coat the clear parts, my Klear though must be so old it thickened up and consequently had a thick, uneven layer on the clear parts that I couldn't fully remove and despite polishing isn't quite right, I can live with it,  I also lost a couple of bits of photoetch off the built body when polishing. Also after putting all the small parts into a Tupperware box at the bedinning of the build I still managed to lose some of them no idea how!. Strangely the Carpetmonster spat out some (one a good couple of weeks after losing it) I also managed to lose the aerial somehow but was pleased to make one from stretched sprue at about the 10th attempt all the others gave no stretch at all, but one did give a nice one. Also a seat belt name decals came off and when i tried to glue it down it decided to curl over on itself. 

I have this in a case with an actual 6R4 engine plate that I kept from my old job. Quite pleased with the outcome. 

Although I don’t have a lot of experience with saloon cars I’d highly recommend the kit. 

I have a Williams FW14b to build next, which hopefully I'll start soon and take my time with an hope to produce my best one yet! After that a 1/72 lunar module awaits then stash will be done and I'll be free! I may go for the Tiger Moth again or possibly a 1/35 armour, maybe a Sherman as I built a couple when i was younger and enjoyed them, no gloss finish, plus they lend themselves to having a nice diorama too. 

y4mDq46-fixYj6aEgBoFTMI4a6P7JxdzWnr1PHU_

y4mrS632tTtTOCEIGaJ3_Xu_HnT29dl8wj7d8gJn  y4mom89nH3eHK3IO_TERXLzenX82_ME3QxM8zqFx

y4m8K2Z8NcwEwP3ZcjZ-uDW4UBXQuG0yIUt9yLkY  y4mwftsND1gm7hrRQiHcWfQLOcKQ5YKD6jWPunDC   y4mfSTDU99ZBU-XUEJez97G9tEpKH5f0N1m5wGzU  y4mBzwxEnb6K27jnBmYmupjv71zJJRyE68gIfIxM  y4ms_e3-23u7-qys0tO4lDOyp3fCFich_f9xZ-rg  y4mgtErk0_flWy9F4FKDOyzSzC_cGeGP8U0JQMad

Links to other builds in the Stash Bash:-

Airfix BAE Hawk 1/72 (A03073) - Stash Order 8 - Not built as all the decals broke and I wasn't happy with the silver finish - Binned!
Airfix Tiger Moth 1/48 (A04104) - Stash Order 12 - Crushed the wing struts and applied yellow paint the was not in a symmetrical pattern and way too thick - Binned!
Airfix Skylab built as Saturn V 1/144 (A11150/A11170) - Stash Order 5 Link
Airfix Mustang 1/72 - Stash Order 9 Link
Academy Hawker Typhoon 1/72 (12462) - Stash Order 10 Link
Airfix Space Shuttle 1/144 (A10170) - Stash Order 7 Link
Airfix DUKW 1/72 (A02316) - Stash Order 13 Link
Revell Eurocopter EC-145 1/72 (04653) - Stash Order 11 Link
Tamiya Newman Haas T93 Lola 1/20 (20040) - Stash Order 2 Link
Tamiya Williams FW14b Mini F1 1/28  (28004) - Stash Order 3 Link
Tamiya Ferrari F189 early 1/20 (20023) - Stash Order 1 Link
Airfix MkVb 1/24 Spitfire (A50055A) - Stash Order 4 Link
Airfix GR7 Harrier 1/72 (A82010) - Stash Order 6 Link
Belkits MG Metro 6R4 1/24 (BEL-015) - Stash Order 14

Edited by Deanali
  • Like 10

Nice!!  Lovely model of (what is now) a legendary car.  A great shame that the real thing didn't achieve more success.  It deserved to, just based on the sheer "bonkers-ness" of the idea of putting a Metro on steroids!

Trevor

I think most people here would agree that a stash of two is far too small - get buying! 😄

That's a good end result you have there, and seeing as this kit is currently residing in my stash I'm glad to see good reports on it. Thanks for showing it.

• Like 1

Iconic car and iconic driver. Lovely rendition of the real car. Trevor summed up the car superbly “a Metro on steroids” 

nice photos of your model as well allowing us to see the detail.

Excellent result 👏  When I built mine a couple of years ago I found it a hugely satisfying model to build , despite the inevitable Belkits idiosyncrasies . Hope somebody on the forum builds the Rothmans 6R4 . Come on , be brave . It's worth it !

Gary . 

20 hours ago, Spiny said:

I think most people here would agree that a stash of two is far too small - get buying! 😄

That's a good end result you have there, and seeing as this kit is currently residing in my stash I'm glad to see good reports on it. Thanks for showing it.

8 hours ago, galaxyg said:

Great build.

Stash anxiety at below double figures?   Mine is ~80 including all the cars and planes...

I'm now sweating and probably won't be able to sleep tonight now that I've read these posts 🥵  🥵  🥵

3 hours ago, Windy37 said:

Excellent result 👏  When I built mine a couple of years ago I found it a hugely satisfying model to build , despite the inevitable Belkits idiosyncrasies . Hope somebody on the forum builds the Rothmans 6R4 . Come on , be brave . It's worth it !

Gary . 

Yes, hugely satisfying is a great description, especially the chassis and interior with the photoetch and seatbelts etc.!!

• Haha 1

Brilliant model Deanali. Lovely detailing.

Some time ago I made a 6R4 model by cobbling together bits by from the old MRM resin kit and kit bashing them onto a Burago Metro die cast body. Both were supposed to be 1/24th scale but we're more like 1/20th in reality. At the time I thought no 6R4 will ever be done in plastic.

Not long after I finished it the Belkits one was released.     Ironic!

Edited by Noel Smith
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

Now that's a really nice build, despite your hiccups with paint.  You've done the real thing, (which was just madness on wheels) justice. 👍

Keith 😁