Westland Wessex HU.5 FLY 1:32

3 hours ago, junglierating said:

This is hoofin work.

Out of interest where or when was this 771 cab supposed to be...its unusual 

It was a scrapper, the owner at Weston painted the Union Jack on it, it never had it in service. 

https://www.airfighters.com/photo/12453/M/UK-Air-Force/Westland-Wessex-HU5-WS-58/XS486/

Edited by sniperUK
  • Like 1

It's still here, at the Helicopter Museum.  The actual serial is XS486 [WA160] and was originally a Junglie of 848 NAS and also 707 NAS at Culdrose

spacer.png

Back then the cab was in Sand and Spinach colours, being painted overall green with the rest of the squadrons around 1969.

The cab was again transferred to 848 NAS, code WW, in 1976; after being repaired following a car accident*, and later was deployed to the Falklands on board RFA Regent in April 1982.

After retirement it was transferred to RNAY Wroughton in 1986, then transferred to RNAS Lee on Solent in 1989, for use as a mobile recruiting exhibit, where it was repainted in the blue/grey and red SAR colours.  This aircraft eventually came to the museum in May 2004.  The Union flag was already painted before it arrived at the Helicopter Museum.

* I remember this cab as, one early and dark morning in March 1971 at Culdrose, whilst being towed from 707's hangar; a tilly drove into it's port oleo causing it to fall over onto the tilly. I was driving a Land Rover some way behind the tilly, travelling from the control tower to 848 NAS's hangars at B Site.  The wren driver was slightly hurt.  The cab was recovered to RNAY Fleetlands for repair.

EDIT:  I forgot to mention how good your model is, wonderful in fact.  :thumbsup:

cheers,

Mike

Edited by bootneck
further updates.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1