1:72 Bristol Beaufort Mk.I - 217 Sqn RAF

Dunny

Hi All,

My latest completion is Airfix' lovely 1:72 Beaufort Mk.I. I originally started building this last year but binned it after a rather disastrous weathering incident. It niggled me to the extent that I purchased another kit and recently had another crack at the same scheme, albeit using masks cut on my new cutter, which has been a great learning experience. 

The aircraft I've chosen to model is L9866 of 217 Sqn, based at St Eval in Cornwall in Feb 1941. This aircraft was flown by Sgt John Rutherford (pilot), Sgt Thomas O'Byrne (navigator), Sgt William Browning (W/Op), and Sgt John Wood (AG). The crew were all lost in the 1st Feb attack on the German cruiser Admiral Hipper whilst she was moored in Brest Harbour - the aircraft was thought to have been shot down by a Bf109-E4 of II./JG77. Brave men indeed.

I could not find any photos of L9866, but there are some nice colour photos of other 217 Sqn Beauforts (images for discussion only and will be removed on request):

Beaufort-color.jpg

Beaufort-217-Sqn.jpg

Bristol-Beauforts-217-Squadron-in-flight

Some nice details in there, such as the absence of a chin turret, the EDSG spinners, and general wear on the airframe. Here's the WIP if anyone is interested:

Anyway, here's the photos:

20221118_110312.jpg

20221118_110316.jpg

20221118_110330.jpg

20221118_110347.jpg

20221118_110400.jpg

20221118_110414.jpg

20221118_110421.jpg

Finally here's a couple of shots with my recently completed 'other' Bristol aircraft (different scale, obvs):

20221118_110448.jpg

20221118_110503.jpg

Both beautiful kits and schemes! I've really enjoyed this build and am glad to have got it over the line. Thanks to all who have offered kind words and encouragement along the way - it has been much appreciated!

Thanks for looking,

Roger

• Like 58
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Giampiero Piva said:

Very nice work ! Congrats.

Thanks for the kind words Giampiero - much appreciated!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Grey Beema said:

Super job (as always) Roger.  I love the finishing and fading..

Thanks very much GB - it's a lovely little kit!

4 minutes ago, moondrome said:

Nice nice. I like this airplane. I Have one Bristol in my stash. It's the tamiya. Your model looks great 

Thanks for the kind words - much appreciated!

7 minutes ago, Bobby No Mac said:

Good work, I really like the muted faded finish :like: 

Thanks for the kind words Bobby - much appreciated!

11 minutes ago, jackroadkill said:

I'm glad you enjoyed the kit; it's probably the Airfix kit that I've enjoyed building the most.  Your scheme looks superb, and I reckon you've knocked it out of the park.

You are most kind JRK - it's a little cracker of a kit and so many schemes! I've already got a Coastal Command scheme and an RAAF version on my roadmap,

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1

Cracking Beau Roger  love the faded look too great work and great job on painting the markings too.  

Enjoyed your WIP as always. 

This is the scheme I would like to do as they were going after the Admiral Hipper and that ship was involved in the sinking of HMS Achates  my Grandad's Ship.

Brave fellows all .  

Chris

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Cracking Beau Roger  love the faded look too great work and great job on painting the markings too.  

Enjoyed your WIP as always. 

This is the scheme I would like to do as they were going after the Admiral Hipper and that ship was involved in the sinking of HMS Achates  my Grandad's Ship.

Brave fellows all .  

Chris

Chris, 

Many thanks for the kind words and the support along the journey. Wow - with such a personal connection you must build this kit! Happy to send a set of masks to help 😉

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Epeeman said:

Lovely job, Roger -

Great faded paint job too

Regards

Dave

Thanks for the kind words Dave - much appreciated!

10 hours ago, Dunny said:

Hi All,

My latest completion is Airfix' lovely 1:72 Beaufort Mk.I. I originally started building this last year but binned it after a rather disastrous weathering incident. It niggled me to the extent that I purchased another kit and recently had another crack at the same scheme, albeit using masks cut on my new cutter, which has been a great learning experience. 

The aircraft I've chosen to model is L9866 of 217 Sqn, based at St Eval in Cornwall in Feb 1941. This aircraft was flown by Sgt John Rutherford (pilot), Sgt Thomas O'Byrne (navigator), Sgt William Browning (W/Op), and Sgt John Wood (AG). The crew were all lost in the 1st Feb attack on the German cruiser Admiral Hipper whilst she was moored in Brest Harbour - the aircraft was thought to have been shot down by a Bf109-E4 of II./JG77. Brave men indeed.

I could not find any photos of L9866, but there are some nice colour photos of other 217 Sqn Beauforts (images for discussion only and will be removed on request):

Beaufort-color.jpg

Beaufort-217-Sqn.jpg

Bristol-Beauforts-217-Squadron-in-flight

Some nice details in there, such as the absence of a chin turret, the EDSG spinners, and general wear on the airframe. Here's the WIP if anyone is interested:

Anyway, here's the photos:

20221118_110312.jpg

20221118_110316.jpg

20221118_110330.jpg

20221118_110347.jpg

20221118_110400.jpg

20221118_110414.jpg

20221118_110421.jpg

Finally here's a couple of shots with my recently completed 'other' Bristol aircraft (different scale, obvs):

20221118_110448.jpg

20221118_110503.jpg

Both beautiful kits and schemes! I've really enjoyed this build and am glad to have got it over the line. Thanks to all who have offered kind words and encouragement along the way - it has been much appreciated!

Thanks for looking,

Roger

Very nice, I like it

Alain

29 minutes ago, Unfinished project said:

Beautiful Beaufort very nice subtle weathering your build makes me want to dig mine out to the top of the stash. 

Thanks for the kind words Up - crack it out, can't beat another Beau!

9 minutes ago, MACALAIN said:

Very nice, I like it

Alain

Merci bien Alain - you are most kind!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AliGauld said:

An absolute corker.

A masterclass in weathering.

An entertaining build thread.

What more could we ask for.

Thanks for sharing this belter.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks for the kind words Alistair, and for the support along the way. Have you started yours yet? :jump_fire:

• Like 1

Always nice to see an Airfix Beaufort built and I have to say, yours is most certainly up there on the top shelf! 

That’s turned out beautifully so well done for having another go and getting this one over the line. 

Cheers and well modelled.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Always nice to see an Airfix Beaufort built and I have to say, yours is most certainly up there on the top shelf! 

That’s turned out beautifully so well done for having another go and getting this one over the line. 

Cheers and well modelled.. Dave 

Thanks for the kind words Dave - much appreciated!

• Like 1