Tamiya 1/72 F4U-1D - Another American in the Royal NAVY

Hello fellow britmodellers,

My second model on this forum. I wanted to build Tamiya ever since I came back to scale modeling and here is the realisation of my wish. Legendary F4U-1D in 72th scale and in the Royal NAVY livery. What can I say - Tamiya is really, REALLY good. Crisp details and  panel lines, two options of canopy, great assembly engineering  - all you need to build a proper Corsair. This time I've also used Eduard photo etched kit for the cockpit, decals from Xtradecals: Yanks with Roundels Part 3 and have made some conversions:

1. Cut edges of the wing

2. Air intakes on the sides of fuselage and outlet on the belly

3. Improved tailwheel frame 

4.Made a frame inside tailwheel bay (I didn't take a photo during the process and now it's barely visible on the completed model 🙂)

5. Drill the identification lights, fill it with clear varnish and then add clear colours 

Hope you’ll enjoy the result of my work,

Alex

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

52505792547_2498f61e29_b.jpg

52505792552_cdc20a217b_b.jpg

52506277401_fabe4d1a0a_b.jpg

52506277426_7b7016f502_b.jpg

• Like 35
  • Thanks 1

That's an excellent model. Very well done indeed 👏👏👏

11 hours ago, Keep_calm said:

(I didn't take a photo during the process and now it's barely visible on the completed model 🙂)

Standard for extra detailing 😂 at least you know it's there.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Keep_calm said:

Hello fellow britmodellers,

My second model on this forum. I wanted to build Tamiya ever since I came back to scale modeling and here is the realisation of my wish. Legendary F4U-1D in 72th scale and in the Royal NAVY livery. What can I say - Tamiya is really, REALLY good. Crisp details and  panel lines, two options of canopy, great assembly engineering  - all you need to build a proper Corsair. This time I've also used Eduard photo etched kit for the cockpit, decals from Xtradecals: Yanks with Roundels Part 3 and have made some conversions:

1. Cut edges of the wing

2. Air intakes on the sides of fuselage and outlet on the belly

3. Improved tailwheel frame 

4.Made a frame inside tailwheel bay (I didn't take a photo during the process and now it's barely visible on the completed model 🙂)

5. Drill the identification lights, fill it with clear varnish and then add clear colours 

Hope you’ll enjoy the result of my work,

Alex

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

52505792547_2498f61e29_b.jpg

52505792552_cdc20a217b_b.jpg

52506277401_fabe4d1a0a_b.jpg

52506277426_7b7016f502_b.jpg

Welll done

Alain

• Like 1

19 hours ago, modelmania said:

Lovely job, just wish I knew how on earth you can achieve the aerial wire arrangement in this scale as it looks amazing and bewildering in equal measure - please share!

Well, all you need is to turn on calm music, a lot of time, a lot of superglue and some hairs that your girlfriend spreads all over the place while brushing 😁.

But seriously, a good glue solves 90% of problems with wiring.