Golden age of transport from 1918 to 1939 - Chat

4 hours ago, Rod The Fixer said:

do you think this plane can fit into the group build rules ?

Of course - very nice choice!

Posted (edited)
On 29/03/2024 at 12:21, Rod The Fixer said:

Hello everyone,
I have a doubt ... do you think this plane can fit into the group build rules ? ūüôā

spacer.png

Of course other racers of the era are in. Besides Jimmy Dolittle himself set several records in the plane for races and distance/endurance flights. 

From Wiki:

“Initial flight tests proved the aircraft required more rudder area to maintain stability and the fixed pitch propeller needed to be adjusted to allow takeoffs under a mile in length.

1931 National Air Races piloted by Jimmy Doolittle wins the Bendix Trophy at a 223 mph average speed.

1931 Thompson Trophy - Trial runs prove difficult, with aileron reversal occurring at speed. The main wing spar crushed from race loads, requires steel patches. Doolittle drops out of the race with engine trouble due to a scuffed piston.[3]

1931 In October, Doolittle flies the Super Solution on a flight between Ottawa, Ontario, Washington D.C., and Mexico City, setting a new speed record between the capitals of 12 hours, 36 minutes.

1932 In August, the¬†Shell Oil¬†sponsored Solution is test flown by Doolittle with new retractable gear. The aircraft is damaged in a gear-up landing, and Doolittle switches to the¬†Gee Bee R-1. The Solution is shipped to Shell Oil in St.Louis, then later donated to the Smithsonian's¬†National Air and Space Museum¬†by the¬†Swallow Aircraft Company¬†in 1948.‚ÄĚ

Edited by Julien
NO airliners.net images
  • Like 2

With nearly a quarter of this GB currently being things that run on rails, I took a look at my stash of models being held for next years 200th Anniversary of Railways GB. With progress on the Felthams and tube train progressing I offer this as a potential build here:

20240406_170240_resize

The entry would represent one of the wagons ordered in 1938 and that entered service before the outbreak of war. The order was placed to ensure that aviation fuel could be transported from West Coast ports to the Eastern counties. Pre war nearly all such fuel came into East coast ports.

Before confirming the entry I need to work our how many alterations are needed to the Peco kit to represent one of the early 1939 batch. The most obvious change is no need for the ladder and also the valves on the top are different.

• Like 6

I'll be building Roden's 1/144 Douglas DC-3 as well as Brebguns's 1/144 Texaco Doodlebug. As I'll put them on a base, AIM's 1/144 DC-3 steps will be in the mix.

And look what we have here, they're both on Roden's box art!

Roden-309.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dnl42 said:

I'll be building Roden's 1/144 Douglas DC-3 as well as Brebguns's 1/144 Texaco Doodlebug. As I'll put them on a base, AIM's 1/144 DC-3 steps will be in the mix.

And look what we have here, they're both on Roden's box art!

Roden-309.jpg

Should make for a nice little diorama. 

• Thanks 1

Now then, esteemed Transport people ūüėÉ

I've been trying to clear up some Frog builds on that Group and considering my options for an entry on here  One of the Frog jobs is Lockheed Ventura re-purposed as a Bolivian civil airliner....you can't get much more Transporty than that, can you.??

But you can't share one build between two groups so there you go. I can stick a photo or two in the inspiration gallery ūüėÉ

But I'm thinking and pondering what next?

I'd thought about a Triumph TR3 car which needs doing, but just recently I've been looking in a Matchbox box containing a Norduin Norseman float plane. An absolute workhorse,totally at home in the Canadian outback, the lakes, the Mountains the far-flung wilderness of the Canadian interior. 

1936 is given as the year of first production ūüĎć

I'm feeling almost ready to try my luck with another Floatplane project. 

Should I just start in with a WIP if and when I get going??

• Like 2

Although a week ago I put forward an Oil Tank Wagon as another build in this GB, these came up on e-bay today

53653753933_e3724315d9_w.jpg

They are both ideal for the street scene with the Trams. So I put in a bid of £6.99 for the pair and there were no other bidders. The Steam wagon is in period for the street scene but out of period for the GB. The coach fits the criteria so when they arrive I will start a thread for the coach.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, CliffB said:

Which kit is that Rob?

It's the Entex kit in 1.24 .This....

20240414_183000

I think others have used the mould before, or after, I can't remember the Scalemates information. 

Very toy-like in some respects but looks like a good overall shape 

• Like 4

Sorry guys, the TR3 doesn't fit the date parameters for this group at all. Always strikes me as a golden age car because I like it, but much too late. 

I did pick up a Matchbox Mercedes SSKL at the Poole show yesterday though.....ūü§©

• Like 1

On 29/03/2024 at 12:21, Rod The Fixer said:

Hello everyone,
I have a doubt ... do you think this plane can fit into the group build rules ? ūüôā

No Airliners.net images please, read the pinned post, these have been removed from your post, and the quoted reply.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi, may I join with 

Although Maia is started this is soooooo far  from completion. S23 is still untouched. 
If "yes", could I ask admins to move the topic into the GB please? 

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Pin said:

Hi, may I join with 

Although Maia is started this is soooooo far  from completion. S23 is still untouched. 
If "yes", could I ask admins to move the topic into the GB please? 

If you haven't done any more work on the one in the link I would say it’s below 25% ? Either way I say you can build them and enter the one in the inspiration gallery when finished. 

PS - you will need @Enzo the Magnificent or another mod to move the thread. Got to the three dots on your upper corner of your screen. Open it up and flag your thread. Ask the mods to move there. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

On 14/04/2024 at 18:23, Paul821 said:

Although a week ago I put forward an Oil Tank Wagon as another build in this GB, these came up on e-bay today

53653753933_e3724315d9_w.jpg

They are both ideal for the street scene with the Trams. So I put in a bid of £6.99 for the pair and there were no other bidders. The Steam wagon is in period for the street scene but out of period for the GB. The coach fits the criteria so when they arrive I will start a thread for the coach.

The Foden C type would fit the GB. It was produced from 1922, afair

9 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

Actually both qualify, I just double checked. They started service according to this in 1930. 

https://www.ltmuseum.co.uk/collections/collections-online/vehicles/item/1981-521-part-0

16 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

Unfortunately that news has come too late. The Foden and the coach are both very simple kits with few parts so, while waiting for glue to set on the Felthams, I started the aFoden and it now no longer meets the 25% rule. I

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

Unfortunately that news has come too late. The Foden and the coach are both very simple kits with few parts so, while waiting for glue to set on the Felthams, I started the aFoden and it now no longer meets the 25% rule.

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

PS - you will need @Enzo the Magnificent or another mod to move the thread. Got to the three dots on your upper corner of your screen. Open it up and flag your thread. Ask the mods to move there. 

Mike the Barely Adequate did that for you ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Paul821 said:

while waiting for glue to set on the Felthams, I started the aFoden and it now no longer meets the 25% rule.

Is it a "loophole" if the work was done after the GB start date?

/P

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, psdavidson said:

No.  It's not a loophole.  The build is perfectly acceptable in this GB because it is following the rules.   The beginning of the build may not have been documented fully, but hey ho.  :)  Enthusiasm is always a good thing.

@Paul821

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, psdavidson said:

/P

No you may enter it provided you follow all standard procedures and show the work from this point. 

3 minutes ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

No.  It's not a loophole.  The build is perfectly acceptable in this GB because it is following the rules.   The beginning of the build may not have been documented fully, but hey ho.  :)  Enthusiasm is always a good thing.

@Paul821

Thanks Enzo

• Like 1

On 11/04/2024 at 19:11, rob Lyttle said:

Now then, esteemed Transport people ūüėÉ

I've been trying to clear up some Frog builds on that Group and considering my options for an entry on here  One of the Frog jobs is Lockheed Ventura re-purposed as a Bolivian civil airliner....you can't get much more Transporty than that, can you.??

But you can't share one build between two groups so there you go. I can stick a photo or two in the inspiration gallery ūüėÉ

But I'm thinking and pondering what next?

I'd thought about a Triumph TR3 car which needs doing, but just recently I've been looking in a Matchbox box containing a Norduin Norseman float plane. An absolute workhorse,totally at home in the Canadian outback, the lakes, the Mountains the far-flung wilderness of the Canadian interior. 

1936 is given as the year of first production ūüĎć

I'm feeling almost ready to try my luck with another Floatplane project. 

Should I just start in with a WIP if and when I get going??

I picked up a few norsemen at the last show. Would be nice to see what you would do with it. I'd watch and learn with enthusiasm. I took some norseman pix at 2 diff museums if it would be if interest.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, marvinneko said:

Would be nice to see what you would do with it.

Well, Marvin, I did one in the Matchbox GB a couple of years ago. I finally got her on the floats after some difficulties. 

I quite fancy having another go and maybe make use of what I learned. Another little jetty scene on a water base like I did with the Beaver would seem like an attractive proposition. 

My goodness that was a BIG GB! Took me a while to find the WIP--  14 pages of Mbox builds!! I believe that every single Matchbox kit ever released was represented in the group. 

• Thanks 1