Rolls-Royce Armoured Car - Project Abandoned, photos lost

10 minutes ago, Courageous said:

My seed of an idea was obviously genetically modified to get to your seed derivative :rofl:

Stuart

Mutated!

2 minutes ago, edjbartos said:

This looks a smashing model model Bertie, I really like the look of the wheels.  Must get one of these...

Ed

It is a good kit and elsewhere on this GB it's being built properly...

• Haha 2

I've pottered around a bit today, still sneaking up on the airbrush.

y4m7pc-wc809lsq11zSFoPwXCUVNQsn7qOKk7TZo

I installed the Scarff ring on the turret. This holds the Lewis gun for anti aircraft defence. As you see, there's a gap in the middle where the gun mounting should be. I left that part of the component on the sprue when I detached it. Well, it looked like a part of the sprue to me!

y4mJQr5xzsCMP6dWD1EZ0I5jnrRiS_CiOeqMnfly

As it happened, this was 'A Good Thing' as I was able to improvise a mounting which moved the Lewis gun a few mm forward, clearing the turret opening for the figure that I've decided to incorporate. 

y4mbGltGtWBmeBgvmfYEaAnoDi_lm1ZKC6WsqZNv

He's a WWII armoured car commander from MiniArt but I thought the hat and jumper wouldn't be too outlandish for a WWI rear echelon tank regiment officer on detachment to Woolwich Arsenal. The tankies were something of an elite corps and rather unconventional in many ways. I had to shorten his left leg by about five scale inches to make it fit through the hatch but it's surprisingly unnoticeable, and will be completely invisible anyway. Still, I'll know that most of him is there. 😄

I came across this Tank Museum video on the R-R A/C today. It's 'quite interesting' as David Fletcher puts it.

• Like 13

Those paint schemes certainly look interesting, you don't mind a challenge do you?

What is the quality of that figure like Bertie? I think I'm going to have to put one in my 1920 car, that's quite a large opening to fill. I'm not very experienced with figure painting though, so a tarp may be the answer.

Wayne

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, diablo rsv said:

Those paint schemes certainly look interesting, you don't mind a challenge do you?

What is the quality of that figure like Bertie? I think I'm going to have to put one in my 1920 car, that's quite a large opening to fill. I'm not very experienced with figure painting though, so a tarp may be the answer.

Wayne

MiniArt figures are very good imo for the price. I like this one because you can't really see his face!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Courageous said:

Like doing figures then Bertie...

Stuart

I do actually but this one is just a small scale accessory to the car so I'm not inclined to spend much time on him. Funnily enough, I haven't done the Rolls' priming yet because I've been distracted by some Games Workshop figures which I've been assembling today. I thought it would be time efficient to prime all of these things at the same time and then ran out of time. 🤣

• Like 2

On 24/11/2022 at 19:05, Bertie McBoatface said:

I've been all over this forum today determined to make it to my next rank. I've been so busy there was no time for modelling, but I'm now officially a Blabber Mouth!

I guess the forum software is running way behind, we've all known that for some time! 

• Haha 6

On 11/18/2022 at 10:31 AM, Bertie McBoatface said:

What could be better?

Superb work Bertie and thank you for the play-by-play wheel instructions.  I'm not so worried now.  I remember trying to do this with 1/72nd scale aircraft wheels and simply gave up.  I think it might have been a HitKit Offag Albatros, which was nightmarish anyway...

Your miniart figure looks good but I find that some of them have an annoying mould line running down the sides of their faces. Their poses are generally more interesting though.

Those wheels look mint! 
 This will be a great build, best of luck with the rest.

Paul

Edited by Muchmirth
Typo

On 11/26/2022 at 12:56 PM, John Masters said:

Superb work Bertie and thank you for the play-by-play wheel instructions.  I'm not so worried now.  I remember trying to do this with 1/72nd scale aircraft wheels and simply gave up.  I think it might have been a HitKit Offag Albatros, which was nightmarish anyway...

On 11/26/2022 at 8:06 PM, Muchmirth said:

Your miniart figure looks good but I find that some of them have an annoying mould line running down the sides of their faces. Their poses are generally more interesting though.

Those wheels look mint! 
 This will be a great build, best of luck with the rest.

Paul

On 11/27/2022 at 5:30 AM, CliffB said:

It's looking superb so far Bertie.  Those wheels would be good sold separately as aftermarket bits :)

Thank for your encouragement chaps. Alas, the painting was a disaster, some real world issues have trampled my mojo into the dust and I'm calling this project off. 

In the words of the philosopher Kenny Rogers, "You've got to know when to walk away and know when to run."

• Sad 8

1 hour ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

some real world issues have trampled my mojo into the dust and I'm calling this project off. 

I am saddened to hear that Bertie.  I hope everything works out alright and you are able to pick this build back up.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

In the words of the philosopher Kenny Rogers, "You've got to know when to walk away and know when to run."

Very wise, best to stop if your hearts not in it.

Jon

• Thanks 1

• Bertie McBoatface changed the title to Rolls-Royce Armoured Car - Project Abandoned.
  • 5 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Sorry to hear this one has stalled Bertie. 

Please don't forget it, I had a similar issue with a Fairey Fulmar a while back, bizarrely it felt all the better when I returned to finish it.

Cheers Pat 

When I abandon a project, it stays abandoned. Straight into the bin with it! 🧨

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

Straight into the bin with it! 

Indeed. 

In fact, I did a wee bit of that today. After a week of fighting with the snow, I finally was in a mood to spend some time tinkering in the workshop. First thing I did was a bit of painting and once that was done and out of the way, I spent a couple of hours just cleaning and tidying and tossing out some old still born projects and test pieces. It was mind clearing, refreshing and good for the soul, readying a clean slate clear of clutter so that I can carry on being productive with something else.

40cm of snow in the past 10 days plus a bit of rain - a winters worth of snow!  Last year and the year before there we had barely a tenth of that. Every winter season is different. I have tried arguing and reasoning with Mother Nature but just won't have anything of that. Arguing with a cloud is however possible, they just leave with a huff or a puff. 

Seasons Best Wishes.

Cheers, Graham

Edited by ColonelKrypton
addition
  • Like 1