BAe Harrier FRS.1 ZA176 - 809 NAS - Falklands April 1982

Hi Folks,

So far this year, I have managed to double my build rate from 0 to 2, in time for Telford !. I produced this model of ZA176 from the Kinetic kit and portrayed it as it would have looked just prior to transfer to HMS Hermes having travelled south on the ill-fated MV Atlantic Conveyor. At this time the aircraft was flown by Lt Bill Convington whom I later worked for at RNAS Yeovilton so there was a personal connection. The model was produced as part of the huge 40th Anniversary of Harrier Operations during the Falklands Campaign display that was put on by the Harrier SIG during SMW'22 last weekend. The kit is mainly out of the box with some modifications to kit parts, scratchbuilding, Aires Exhaust Nozzles, Eduard seatbelts and Pavla wing pylons. The weathering was kept relatively light at this stage since these particular jets were washed just prior to disembarkation having been encased in a big bag for the journey South. I would have liked to have done more to improve the overall look but the build gave me valuable experience when it comes to tackling the next one.  

20221113_161448

20221113_161512

20221113_161521

Mark

• Like 66

1 hour ago, George Norman said:

I remember this one. Very nice

What Struck me is the anti-Collision beacon glinted in the light and I thought it was lit! Looked very real!

Good 'ol Mr Hobby H90 - Clear Red over the top of the kit transparent part !

• Like 1

Thanks again, Chaps !

It's heartening to receive so many compliments especially since I have been 'out of the game' for a while. I was also pleased to hear that you appreciated the Harrier SIG display at SMW'22 in it's entirety. Nick Greenall, our SIG Leader, put in a enormous amount of planning and effort (over a 4 year period !) to bring this display to fruition and we were very proud to receive the first ever Airfix Trophy for our display at Telford last weekend (even though the vast majority of models on display were from Kinetic !).