1965 Aurora 1/25 Aston Martin DB4 as re-issued by Revell/Monogram (1997 kit)

I started by test fitting and assembling the main engine bits. I did a cursory glance at reference photos I found on-line and the plastic lump that the kit tries to pass off as an engine is complete and utter rubbish. The kit designer must have been smoking some funny stuff or have never seen an Aston Martin engine. The "gearbox" is laughable and I'm being kind. An extensive rework is needed to make everything barely passable. Yikes! 

20221116-121928.jpg

Edited by mikevillena
  • Like 4
  • Sad 3

Hello Mike … Im sorry you’ve started this as the build ended last Sunday.Depending on wether you're on cellular or desktop you press the three dots or pull down screen. There is an option to flag this and ask an Moderator to move it to the automotive section. 

8 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello Mike … Im sorry you’ve started this as the build ended last Sunday.Depending on wether you're on cellular or desktop you press the three dots or pull down screen. There is an option to flag this and ask an Moderator to move it to the automotive section. 

I apologize as I did not see an end date listed in Greeting and Rules thread.

11 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Sorry, I only have REPORT, SHARE, or EDIT options on the three dots

2 minutes ago, mikevillena said:

Sorry, I only have REPORT, SHARE, or EDIT options on the three dots

Yes I was referring to the the report option thats my fault. It will get the moderators attention and they can move the thread. Of course you can still build it here, just not as many people will see it as its not in a current group build. 

3 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Yes I was referring to the the report option thats my fault. It will get the moderators attention and they can move the thread. Of course you can still build it here, just not as many people will see it as its not in a current group build. 

Thank you. I've sent a report with a request to move it to the correct forum.

• Like 1

Surgery has begun. 

20221116-135450.jpg

I am moving the intake and exhaust ports to the cylinder head instead of the incorrect location on the block. Started re-shaping the cam cover. The cam cover thickness will also be built up. Adding some styrene to the lower block to build up the shape. Mind you, I'm just eyeballing things so it won't be 100% accurate but I'm hoping it would be an improvement over the lump of plastic.

20221116-175639.jpg

• Like 7

A bit more work on the engine bits. I sliced sections of some styrene tubing and glued them onto the block.

20221117-172111.jpg

My tube of Tamiya putty had dried out so I was forced to try Vallejo Acrylic Putty. I find that it didn't work for me in this application. I also started building out the cylinder head side.

20221117-174503.jpg

I also sliced off the cam cover with the intent of shimming it up a bit higher.

20221117-202944.jpg

20221117-203334.jpg

I also glued on some styrene strips to replicate the ribs between the cylinders.

20221118-070730.jpg

Thing s look a bit of a mess at the moment but I'm hoping to blend everything together and add some casting texture.

• Like 8

Thanks johnlambert 😀

@Toftdale - I've always used a bit of soapy water when using a razor saw especially on tricky cuts. 

IMG-1056.jpg

IMG-1057.jpg

It also helps when wet sanding contours or lubricating the back of the knife blade when scribing through to cut out doors.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well, a bit of one step forward and several steps back. I was extremely unhappy with the engine block proportions; it's just as welll since my texturing technique filled in the ribs so I decided to strip my mods and re-do everything. I chopped everything into basic bits which I will be re-shaping and adding shims as needed. The horror story continues. 😬

20221119-150716.jpg

20221119-125644.jpg

The cylinder head shape is finally getting better.

20221119-165453.jpg

As always, thanks for looking.

• Like 7

13 hours ago, JeroenS said:

Lots of surgery going on, always a plus! Looks like whatever you do, it will be better than the kit version.

Thanks Jeroen. Not sure how much I've bitten off. I wish I could just build things straight out of the box just like everybody else. 🤪

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This is turning out to be a real challenge for me. Trying to fabricate and make cuts and sand corners so that they are crisp and sharp. Oh well, a bit more progress on re-constructing the cylinder head.

20221120-151950.jpg

20221120-195329.jpg

20221120-195402.jpg

You can see the original remnant of the kits "cylinder head" sandwiched between the added styrene.

20221120-195431.jpg

• Like 3

After a bit of brainstorming, I think I figured out how to add the exhaust port flanges (or bosses). A bit on the rough side and will need refinement. I will also need to fill in the space between the pairs based on my reference photos.

20221120-202359.jpg

Sliced off sections. A bit wonky at this point. I am really missing my "The Chopper" which was lost during my last relocation. I bit the bullet and ordered another one from Amazon for 80 USD. Ouch!

20221120-202832.jpg

20221120-203738.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, mikevillena said:

Not sure how much I've bitten off. I wish I could just build things straight out of the box just like everybody else. 🤪

Not quite everybody else... I haven't been able to build a kit out of the box for about 20 years!

It's a hobby - you do what you want.  Looking great so far.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, mikevillena said:

Thanks Jeroen. Not sure how much I've bitten off. I wish I could just build things straight out of the box just like everybody else. 🤪

Nah, where's the fun in that 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, mikevillena said:

I totally understand the wish, but would we really be happy with the result?

Building a Heller '59 Eldorado, nothing fits or locates properly, the only thing I haven't had to massage is the dashboard - such is the life!

• Like 2

Jo NZ, JeroenS, & Lvp - Thank you guys. 

@Lvp I didn't even know that Heller made a Cadillac kit. To be honest, my only experience with Heller kits is confined to two 1/72 aircraft which were great kits. I have the Jag XKE in my stash. I'm hoping I won't have to deal with the same nightmares as you did.

Started on the bodywork. Made some dissolved styrene to fill in some of the low spots. An old painting knife makes applying putty and dissolved styrene a breeze.

20221121-154547.jpg

I am also trying out Tamiya's Basic Type Putty and their Surface Primer. I love how stable and quick drying the putty is.

20221122-171125.jpg

I finally received my "The Chopper".

20221122-171050.jpg

Thanks for looking in and an advanced "Happy Thanksgiving" to all. 🙂 🍗

Edited by mikevillena
  • Like 5

Endless rounds of putty, surface primer and wet sanding involved in trying to chase the contours based on my reference photos. The model kit is exceedingly slab sided.

20221124-081641.jpg

20221124-081632.jpg

I also started work on the hood. I chopped off the molded hinges and began thinning it down from roughly 1 mm

20221124-081542.jpg

20221124-081606.jpg

The hood opening will be reworked extensively in order to address the huge gap at the shut lines. Happy Thanksgiving!

• Like 4