2023 Definitive Groupbuild Calendar

On 06/12/2022 at 22:08, Bertie McBoatface said:

What was the previous highest total Enzo, if you have figures on hand? (Don't go counting them up just for my curiosity.)

How will we know if we have too many? Or still not enough? I'm just musing over my last cup of tea before bedtime...

Apologies for the delay in replying. 

I'm afraid I lied to you all...   Not counting Blitzbuilds and the KUTA, 2020 and 2019 matched this year.  The next highest was 2021 with 19. 

How will we know if we have too many?   Well, strictly speaking we already have too many.  In the groupbuild policy polls which we held in 2020, the decision was to have 7 each of GBs and STGBs.  I always start out with good intentions to stick with that, but then important historical subjects crop up, so I tend to chuck in an extra here and another there.  :)  They all mount up.

In the past couple of years we have taken to having two Classic GBs per year.  These seem to be popular so I would recommend keeping them. 

My proposal would be to stick with the 7+7+2 formula, with space for three discretionary GBs for dates of historical importance.

The only way that we know that we actually have too many is when people start complaining about them.  That hasn't happened so far.   In fact you lot all seem happy to take everything I chuck at you!  :lol: 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

The only way that we know that we actually have too many is when people start complaining about them.  That hasn't happened so far. 

I'm complaining that too many of the GBs that I want to do have found their way onto the 2023 calendar. 😲 I'm just too damned lucky! I seriously doubt that I'll be able participate in all of those I signed up for. 

For the hard of irony, that was a joke. I know that others of us have only seen one or two desirable GBs go through.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

I always start out with good intentions to stick with that, but then important historical subjects crop up, so I tend to chuck in an extra here and another there.  :)  They all mount up.

Could we just combine Historical subjects to one group build say “1943”. And it can cover any important things from said year. In the case of 1943 Kursk, Sicily, Tarawa, and other major battles. We could then have sub-galleries for the specific subjects  ? 

• Like 3

I’ve slagged off spitfire builders and yet I’m gearing up to do two for the entropy build. 

I may somehow have gotten a job for 2023 so that may curtail my Gb activity so maybe I will only ( fingers crossed as I say this) build one build per GB ( well for some eg the B17 and the Drakken STGBs I only have one kit ) or even sit out some of them ( I hope not)

But I still wouldn’t say we have too many GBs.

Bit then again as the Salty sea dog looms I definitely want to build the Freidrichshaffen and the Sablatnig so that’s that vow broken already :) 

Actually the big for 2023 is making a serious dent in the wip over the next two weeks…

Edited by Marklo

1 hour ago, RC Boater Bill said:

Is the master list/chart available somewhere as a spreadsheet to download?

No.  The graphic in the first post of this thread is taken from a spreadsheet. 

I believe that the forum software does not allow files other than graphics to be embedded to prevent malware abuse.

This may help. I created it to add to Google Calendar and Todoist

It should be importable into a spreadsheet as comma separated values 

Subject, Start Date, End Date
The Salty Sea Dog GB, 07/01/23, 30/04/23
FW-190 STGB, 21/01/23, 23/04/23
Japanese Classic, 18/02/23, 09/07/23
Reconnaissance and Scouting, 25/02/23, 18/06/23
TLC - Transports Loaders and Carriers, 18/03/23, 09/07/23
Not my comfort zone, 08/04/23, 30/07/23
Airco and De Havilland, 29/04/23, 20/08/23
Go large or go home, 20/05/23, 10/09/23
Southern Europe, 10/06/23, 01/10/23
The Entropy Groupbuild, 01/07/23, 22/10/23
Italian Classic, 08/07/23, 26/11/23
Above the Karman Line, 12/08/23, 03/12/23
I feel deserted!, 26/08/23, 17/12/23
Draken STGB, 04/03/23, 04/06/23
Last of the Gunfighters / SLUFs, 25/03/23, 25/06/23
Leopard STGB, 27/05/23, 27/08/23
38(t) STGB, 24/06/23, 24/09/23
B-17 STGB, 05/08/23, 05/11/23
Mig-25, 02/09/23, 03/12/23
P-47, 30/09/23, 31/12/23
Here comes the Fleet! (Air Arm), 22/07/23, 12/11/23
Marcel Bloch / Dassault Aviation, 04/02/23, 28/05/23

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hmmm... well these are mine. I always over-commit, nothing new here this year :D

The Salty Sea Dog - USS Lexington with a full airwing SS British Sovereign (Oil Tanker) & Maybe the Lady Lex
Marcel Bloch / Dassault Aviation - Falcon 20, Falcon 50 or Falcon 900

Japanese Classic - SP-2 Neptune perhaps
Reconnaissance and Scouting - RC-135 U or W
TLC - Transports Loaders and Carriers - USN LPD, APA or HMMET civil tanker
Airco and De Havilland - Rapide or Mossie (Highball)
Italian Classic - Macchi MB-326H
Above the Karman Line - NCC-1701 (Motion Picture version)
I feel deserted! - Hurricane IIC

Draken STGB - Finnish special scheme
Last of the Gunfighters - Would love to but don't have a kit as yet.
Leopard STGB - Aussie AS1
B-17 STGB - Would love to but don't have a kit as yet.
Here comes the Fleet! (Air Arm) - Nothing in the stash at this stage

No doubt some of these will change when I go stash diving.

Edited by Romeo Alpha Yankee
Updates to builds
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Scuse me if I'm a bit slow, @Enzo the Magnificent. I'm not familiar with the usual KUTA dates. I know one is running in these weeks. Is this the only KUTA for the year? If not, could multiple KUTAs in a year be considered? I'm sure my fellow modellers have more than a few partially completed models put aside. I have five that need attention. A regular group-build slot would certainly help me finish them off between participation in other GBs that require a complete build (or thereabouts).

I guess classic is used as a euphemism for old?

Does that mean I'm a classic? Who loves ya, baby?

Kojak.jpg

• Haha 4

8 hours ago, Maginot said:

If not, could multiple KUTAs in a year be considered? I'm sure my fellow modellers have more than a few partially completed models put aside.

Hmm... not sure about that, to be honest. 

The current 2022 one is already 5 months long, and I guess the 2023 entry has been time-limited for that reason.
If you're not careful, you end up with a permanent 'anything goes' semi-GB and that's essentially covered by the WIP sections soo.... 

Nothing stopping you from doing 'themed' completion build threads with a couple of buddies in that section.

• Like 1