The Eagle And The Telescope, ICM 1/48 Ju-88D 2.(F)/123 Greece January 1942.

13 hours ago, Walter said:

Have fun the nacelles on the wing😄

I have already given them a trial fit and can see some "fun" ahead trying to get them in place and looking good, not like ICM at all but I suppose this would class as an older kit by now already.

4 hours ago, coneheadff said:

What a great project Craig 😀

I will be definitely following 

Thanks Alex, I have wanted to do this since first seeing the picture in the book and it has taken me far too long to make a start on it.

2 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

Craig, I just checked again what that book would cost me as a new one, if bought now. I'm going to make you an offer you can't resist: When you have finished your build and "don't need the book anymore", I can buy it from you second hand with 4 pounds - a 100% profit :giggle:

Seriously, though, as my military history interests focus on Luftwaffe in the Mediterranean, and in the Arctic (and the 8th AF and Finnish AF), and Ju 88 is one of my top-3 aircraft, I'm probably buying both Aufklärer books by the author one day. Thanks for the tip and congratulations for the bargain :thumbsup:. V-P

It really is a great book and you will love it but as tempting as your 100% profit offer is I shall be keeping hold of my copy.😁

🇺🇦

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, franky boy said:

Nice start Craig 

The ICM 88’s look like nice kits and are on my to build list at some point.

Will follow along for the build. 

James 

Cheers James, always happy to have you along.

Its quite a nice kit but certainly not up to the standard of their latest models in terms of fit.

🇺🇦

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Cheers James, always happy to have you along.

Its quite a nice kit but certainly not up to the standard of their latest models in terms of fit.

🇺🇦

That’s interesting to hear. I’ve got the Eduard boxing of their Do-17, which I also followed your build of, and that looks very nice in the box. 

James

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, franky boy said:

That’s interesting to hear. I’ve got the Eduard boxing of their Do-17, which I also followed your build of, and that looks very nice in the box. 

James

The Do-17 has better fit than the Ju-88 which is odd as they were released around the same time.

The Eduard boxing has everything you need for a great model from the box.

🇺🇦

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Apologies for not keeping this thread updated but I haven't had any time for modelling with work and also working on the house in my time off and I doubt very much that I will be anywhere near completion by the end of the GB, but if its okay with our esteemed leader VP I shall keep the thread going and complete the build when I can.

Now this doesn't mean that I haven't been making progress and she is definitely looking very Ju-88 like;

spacer.png

The majority of the build went well with only small amounts of filler required but as @Walter warned getting the nacelles in place was a right pig of a job, one side fitted quite well but the other needed all the locating lugs cutting off the nacelle (and a modicum of interesting language) to get the other in place but I got there in the end and after a bit of cleaning up and filler it doesn't look too bad;

spacer.png

And with both securely in place this is the view from the underneath;

spacer.png

I am very glad that I left the side panels off the engine nacelles before I fitted them as it gave added flexibility which was very much needed, it doesn't mean that they were a good fit afterwards as they were not as there are quite a few gaps;

spacer.png

Fortunately the nacelles are going to be covered by some tarps which will cover up the less than perfect fit of these parts.

As you may have noticed in some of the pics above the nose glazing and canopies have been fitted and they went on quite nicely and wouldn't take much to get them perfect if they too weren't being covered over with tarps;

spacer.png

The clear parts for the canopy and nose are really very clear and if the cockpit interior were fitted you could really see everything through them;

spacer.png

Just like you can see that I didn't fit the cockpit in mine which is one of the things keeping this build vaguely on track. My next job is to get the tarps fitted and then I can get some paint on her. Talking of paint she will be in the simpler RLM 79/78 scheme as after having a closer look at the pictures in the book the aircraft I originally wanted to build is a D-2 whereas I have built the model as a D-1 (different engines and propellers) which should make @Andwil happy as she will be wearing the codes 4U+CK!

Thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

🇺🇦

• Like 8

28 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

Finish her when you find time for it, no need to rush only because of a GB deadline. This is a hobby, and this should relieve our stress not increase it!

ICM really knows how to mold clear parts 👍. V-P

Thanks mate, I really want this to look right as I have wanted to do it for a while. And you are right that I have enough stress without my hobby becoming stressful.

And ICM really are very good at clear parts, no need for any coatings on them at all.

28 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

P.S. Oh when this is finished, and you don't need the book anymore :2c: :2c:... :giggle:

Nice try.😁

3 minutes ago, coneheadff said:

Keep it going, Craig! 

The nacelles really look like a pain in the back

Thanks Alex, I shall keep going with it but it will be a lot slower than I had hoped.

Yes the nacelles were a complete pain, most unlike ICM really.

🇺🇦

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Still plodding along with this one and she actually looks quite different from the last time you saw her;

spacer.png

spacer.png

As you can see all the major paint work is now done and the tissue paper tarpaulins are in place on the front fuselage and engine nacelles. I have varied the tone of the 78 and 79 by mixing a lighter version of the paint and spraying it mostly in the centre of panels and I am quite happy with how it has turned out. I couldn't find any definitive proof that this aircraft carried the under wing theatre markings or not and as some aircraft in the unit definitely carried it and as I like how it looks that is what she got. I have a couple of spots of paint that need touching up but she's almost ready fro the next stage which is giving her a coat of gloss in preparation for the decals.

Definitely not going to make the deadline unfortunately but starting tomorrow I have 8 days off work and hope to spend at least some of that time modelling.

Thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

🇺🇦

• Like 9

1 hour ago, franky boy said:

Nice work Craig

Its good to see a Ju-88 in something other than the usual greens. 

Look forward to more progress. 

James

Thanks James, I really like the 78/79 scheme, its probably my favourite Luftwaffe scheme and does make aircraft that we are used to seeing in either various greens or greys look different.

I have painted the tarpaulins this evening and am quite happy with how they look, I will try and post some pics of them tomorrow.

🇺🇦

• Like 3

As promised here are some pics to show the finished tarpaulin covers;

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Quite happy with how thats turned out.

As you can probably see I have also made a start on the decals, in fact a lot more have gone on since I took these pictures and the wings are complete, hopefully tomorrow I will get the rest of them on.

Thanks for looking and as always all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

🇺🇦

• Like 8