The Eagle And The Telescope, ICM 1/48 Ju-88D 2.(F)/123 Greece January 1942.

Every now and then you can get really lucky and stumble across a genuine bargain and a couple of years ago I found one in a local second hand bookshop, which was a bit of a miracle as they are usually very hot on knowing what something is worth, They have a section for bargain books that they have presumably had for a while but haven't sold so they charge £2 for them, and whilst perusing this section one day (it would be rude not to) the word "Adler" stood out on the spine of a new looking book, and even with my extremely poor knowledge of German I knew that it meant Eagle and that the word might have connotations towards the Luftwaffe so with one set of fingers crossed I pulled the book from the bookcase and this is what I was greeted with;

spacer.png

Oh yes!!! An absolutely first rate high quality publication covering the service of 2.(F)/123 full of fantastic pictures and even colour profiles, a genuine no-brainer for £2! Whilst looking through the book later at home I found a couple of pictures that I decided that I simply must try to replicate in the form of a diorama even though dioramas are out of  my comfort zone, and this is what I am going to try to replicate;

spacer.png

A Ju-88D in desert camouflage of RLM 79 and 80 over 78 but with a layer of snow on it! I just love the contradiction of a desert camouflaged aircraft with a covering of snow on it. They had a fair bit of snow on the airfield in Greece in January 1942 and I may add some vehicles to the diorama later to give an effect like this;

spacer.png

If I have problems with the blotches of RLM 80 then I could do an overall RLM 79 covered aircraft like this one with a Bf-110 from the same unit in the same scheme;

spacer.png

I have gathered all I need for this over the past couple of years starting with an ICM 1/48 Ju-88D. Now I know that the kit has problems with the cockpit being too shallow and also some have said that the replication of the front of the engines isn't right, but take a close look at the pictures and you will see that both of these "problem" areas are covered by protective tarpaulins, result! This could also mean that the build moves along a fairly rapid rate as I don't have to build and paint the cockpit and hopefully the engines too. here is a picture of the kit box top;

spacer.png

And the as yet unopened contents of it;

spacer.png

I have got some decals for the unit from Aims in the stash and should be able to get the code letters from various sheets I have.

I am really looking forward to building this as I have wanted to do it since getting the book a few years ago, I have an A-7 Corsair to move a bit further along before I start but I hope to get to it very soon.

Thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

🇺🇦

• Like 12

45 minutes ago, Mottlemaster said:

i am looking forward to your build come together Craig, afer seeing your wonderful build in the recent Dornier 17 STGB .

Cheers

Alistair

Thanks Alistair, thats very kind of you to say, although it does add a bit of pressure for it to be good!😁

🇺🇦

A diorama eh Craig? Will you be putting any trees in it? 🤣

Those that know will appreciate the comment!

Looking forward to seeing it progress and I shall wear the large Hat of Shame as I won't be contributing a build......

Dave

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Coors54 said:

A diorama eh Craig? Will you be putting any trees in it? 🤣

Those that know will appreciate the comment!

Looking forward to seeing it progress and I shall wear the large Hat of Shame as I won't be contributing a build......

Dave

Cheers Dave,

I shall try to get the diorama done in the GB but the aircraft itself is my main target due to time restraints and other commitments.

Fortunately there isn't a nearby tree to be seen in any of the pictures!

🇺🇦

1 hour ago, Andwil said:

How can you possibly go past an aircraft with the codes 4U+CK!

AW 

I hadn't noticed that AW! That now makes the choice of subject a trickier choice as I was all set on the aircraft with the RLM 80 mottling but passing up the idea of the aircraft with the codes 4U+CK won't be easy, especially as it means I can add a suitably painted Bf-110 to the diorama at a later date.

🇺🇦

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dansk said:

this will be brilliant craig. i look forward to see how you achieve the snow if that's the route you go.

Cheers Paul, I am looking forward to getting started on it. I bought some stuff to use for the snow on top of the aircraft at Telford, buggered if I can remember where I have put at the minute though, oh well plenty of time yet.

🇺🇦

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Cheers Paul, I am looking forward to getting started on it. I bought some stuff to use for the snow on top of the aircraft at Telford, buggered if I can remember where I have put at the minute though, oh well plenty of time yet.

🇺🇦

maybe it melted mate? 🙂

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Been far too long since I posted on this build and to be fair I haven't been able to give it the attention I would have liked for one reason or another but I have been slowly plugging away at the build and the fact that I don't need to do much work on the interior is going to be a help. 

I have been working on various sub-assemblies that will be joined together when they are all complete such as the wings, engines and tail surfaces. So here are some pictures of what I have done so far, starting with the undercarriage which has been assembled and given a coat of RLM 02;

spacer.png

spacer.png

The engine nacelles;

spacer.png

You might notice that there are panels missing from either side of the nacelles, I have left these off to give a bit more flexibility when I attach them to the wings. The engines were included in the kit, and quite nice they look too, but I built the nacelles without them as they won't be seen.

The aircraft's tail feathers;

spacer.png

One of the things that ICM has you do yourself is to mark out and drill the holes for the covers for the two vertical cameras fitted to the fuselage of the D model of the    Ju-88, this went easier than I had feared and they are fitted and masked off;

spacer.png

Next up will be joining the fuselage halves together which will hopefully be done very soon, then I can get that attached to wing centre section.

Thanks for your patience and for looking in, and a very Happy New Year to you all.

Craig.

🇺🇦

• Like 8

38 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

Glad to see you're back with the build :thumbsup:

Happy new year - I just today tested myself "positive" with you know what. What a way to end a year 😞

V-P

Really sorry to hear that you have covid mate, I sincerely hope that you aren't affected badly.

14 minutes ago, nickhenfrey said:

You don't see them even with the covers off... 

Looking good! 

@vppelt68 - hope you get well soon! 

Very true, and thank you very much.

2 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

An interesting project Craig and a great find with that book.

A happy and productive New Year to you.

Thanks Bob, don't think I'll ever find a bargain like that again.

A very Happy New Year to you too mate, may it be filled with plasticy goodness.

🇺🇦

• Thanks 2

Craig, I just checked again what that book would cost me as a new one, if bought now. I'm going to make you an offer you can't resist: When you have finished your build and "don't need the book anymore", I can buy it from you second hand with 4 pounds - a 100% profit :giggle:

Seriously, though, as my military history interests focus on Luftwaffe in the Mediterranean, and in the Arctic (and the 8th AF and Finnish AF), and Ju 88 is one of my top-3 aircraft, I'm probably buying both Aufklärer books by the author one day. Thanks for the tip and congratulations for the bargain :thumbsup:. V-P

• Haha 1