1946-1964 ('Baby Boomers') GB Chat

CliffB

2 hours ago, JosephLalor said:

I'd like to join in please.  I'm thinking in terms of the Bristol Superfreighter, which I think was still in service at the time of my birth in 1961.  I remember it featured in the Hippo Book of World Airliners in the 1960s.  A 502 Ulster Squadron Vampire or a Westland Wyvern probably wouldn't come amiss either.

A Superfreighter would be a great choice.  I have that Hippo book in front of me right now and the Bristol's on page 28!

2 hours ago, psdavidson said:

Well, since this is now in current groupbuilds, here's my planned entry

Alouette II

Maiden flight was 1955 so it qualifies, I think

Yes that definitely qualifies.  As far as I can remember, this is the first helicopter pledge (although I may be wrong :winkgrin:)

1 hour ago, Whirly said:

I'd like to join with a 1/144 Caravelle, late Alitalia livery (Landor scheme?) thanks to 26Decals.

What a beauty 😍.  I didn't know that Landor did airlines other than BA.  Very interesting. 

Cheers

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

My apologies for this, I thought it would qualify. 

No worries guv, was pretty sure it would be ineligible but thought I would give it a punt and see what happens. Alas, if the shop had the Flashlight, I would be golden. 

[EDIT] having said that, and my plan for the Fishpot is to practice my NMF for my Y/XB-35 build mid year, there is an even bigger 1/72 Tu-16 that could possibly be acquired too. I really shouldn't start my day snorting drain cleaner by the looks of it. Think small dammit!   

Edited by Evil_Toast_RSA
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

I'm planning to join this GB once I finish something in one of the GBs going at the moment. So far I've dug out a couple of Hawker Sea Hawks, one in 1/72 scale and one in 1/144. However, I'm waiting for Tamiya to reissue their 1957 Fiat 500F, which I think will fit in well.

• Like 5

On 06/02/2024 at 19:46, CliffB said:

Yes that definitely qualifies.  As far as I can remember, this is the first helicopter pledge (although I may be wrong :winkgrin:)

I might be swapping to rotary.  I remembered that I have an Italeri Wessex 1 in the stash which might give me a much greater chance of actually finishing in the timeframe of the GB than a Sea Vixen and I have nothing in the display cabinet in a 1960s jungly two tone colour scheme.

Downside is that I know next to nothing about Wessex 1s.  I flew a fair bit in Wessex 5s in my early days in the Navy before they were replaced with Sea King 4s, but the 1s had all been retired by the time I joined.  Can anyone advise how accurate that kit is?  I'm quite happy to do a lot of modification but at this stage not sure how much modification I might be committing to! 

On 06/02/2024 at 10:07, CliffB said:

Funnily enough, I did propose a 'Rolls Royce Powered' GB a few years ago, but there were virtually no takers :(

That would certainly pique my interest.  All those Rolls Royce Tyne/Olympus gas turbine powered ships to choose from

Edited by Chewbacca
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Richard Humm said:

I'm planning to join this GB once I finish something in one of the GBs going at the moment. So far I've dug out a couple of Hawker Sea Hawks, one in 1/72 scale and one in 1/144. However, I'm waiting for Tamiya to reissue their 1957 Fiat 500F, which I think will fit in well.

58 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

I might be swapping to rotary.  I remembered that I have an Italeri Wessex 1 in the stash which might give me a much greater chance of actually finishing in the timeframe of the GB than a Sea Vixen and I have nothing in the display cabinet in a 1960s jungly two tone colour scheme.

Downside is that I know next to nothing about Wessex 1s.  I flew a fair bit in Wessex 5s in my early days in the Navy before they were replaced with Sea King 4s, but the 1s had all been retired by the time I joined.  Can anyone advise how accurate that kit is?  I'm quite happy to do a lot of modification but at this stage not sure how much modification I might be committing to! 

That would certainly pique my interest.  All those Rolls Royce Tyne/Olympus gas turbine powered ships to choose from

Both would be great additions to the build gentlemen. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/7/2024 at 10:56 PM, Chewbacca said:

Hi Chewy. Nice idea for a Wessex HAS Mk1. Not a lot to do, excepting to lengthening the transition between cabin and tail cone. The kit is 6mm too short, so a new plug or some 2mm plasticard to make up the different. The exhausts were different too, slight S shape.

Lots of decals available on the the Model Decals sheets. All that pertains to the 72nd kit!

Ooops, I'm talking gash, you are looking at the 48th kit. Crack on it's good. Have you got the 4+ Publications book on the Wessex? The bible.

Colin the Wessex nut.

• Like 2

Hello to everyone,

I'd like to join this GB with another failed project from previous years GB.

In May 2022, I've joined The Century Fighters GB with ESCI 1/72 F-100D...

...but, although I did start work on the cockpit area, I didn't make any progress photos.

So, as I didn't go too far from the beginning, I am aplying today's state of work on this kit - very well below 25%, so I presume this work can qualify for the GB?

f-100d-danish-003.jpg

Thanks in advance, and if GB admins give green light for this project, I will start new topic for it :)

Cheers,

Srđan

• Like 3

19 hours ago, srkirad said:

Thanks in advance, and if GB admins give green light for this project, I will start new topic for it :)

Cheers,

Srđan

Yes, absolutely, please go ahead :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, heloman1 said:

Ooops, I'm talking gash, you are looking at the 48th kit. Crack on it's good. Have you got the 4+ Publications book on the Wessex? The bible.

Thanks Colin.  Coming from a Wessex guru like yourself that's good to know.  Sadly I don't have the 4+ book and it's currently showing as from £40+ on Ebay and Amazon so I won't be getting one of those!  I've got the Haynes Manual on order but my experience with those is very mixed when there are multiple variants covered in one book; for example the Haynes Lynx manual has only a couple of pages on the HAS Mk 2/3.

Just now, Chewbacca said:

Thanks Colin.  Coming from a Wessex guru like yourself that's good to know.  Sadly I don't have the 4+ book and it's currently showing as from £40+ on Ebay and Amazon so I won't be getting one of those!  I've got the Haynes Manual on order but my experience with those is very mixed when there are multiple variants covered in one book; for example the Haynes Lynx manual has only a couple of pages on the HAS Mk 2/3.

Hi, did you look at he Hannant's site Forty Quid is OTT! The Haynes manual is s good so the two together will give you all you need.

Only thin for me was that the exhausts could do with sharpening up but a small item. What scheme are you thinking of? I still would like to do a Red/RAFBG SAR cab.

Shout if you need help.

Colin the Wessex nut

Thanks - didn't think to look at Hannants.  Unfortunately they're out of stock so have put one on backorder and hope they might get some more.  As you say, a much more sensible price.

I was thinking the two tone sand/green Junglie scheme from the Malaya/Borneo campaign though a red/blue SAR cab is tempting.

I also need to source the blade fold gear/tail pylon fold though I can probably scratch build/3D print if necessary.

• Like 1

Oooooh....Guys, I have a shoo-in for THIS GB but I'm currently snowed under with projects in Frog GB and elsewhere. 

20240212_193311

However if I clear the decks soon I'd love to get onto this in the boomers club. 

I won't start a thread until I get sorted, but you may hear from me later ❤️

Plenty of time 😎👌

• Like 8

10 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

I won't start a thread until I get sorted, but you may hear from me later

I do hope that we see you Rob.  As you say, that TR3 would be a perfect candidate :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

I also have these.  Using the logic of the  Spitfire and the Fokker DVII, one cannot have too many Vampires...

53527392796_7c305d5ff4_z_d.jpg

53527392856_26be79aa7a_z_d.jpg

Both fall into the groove.  

53527570783_bd32f9daf4_o_d.jpg

53527392861_92abcae25b_z_d.jpg

--John

• Like 4

An eligibility question for @CliffB and @Corsairfoxfouruncle - the BAC One-Eleven 200 series is eligible, but the one I want to build is a 300. It's externally identical (I think) to the 200, it was a 200 with an uprated engine and higher fuel capacity. But it didn't fly until 1965. How much is too much modification to get to a different variant - is this enough to make it ineligible, or would it being identical to the 200 keep it on the right side of the line? 

I'd really like to build it, but I'm ok if it's ineligible, it fits a GB later in the year.

5 hours ago, zebra said:

An eligibility question for @CliffB and @Corsairfoxfouruncle - the BAC One-Eleven 200 series is eligible, but the one I want to build is a 300. It's externally identical (I think) to the 200, it was a 200 with an uprated engine and higher fuel capacity. But it didn't fly until 1965. How much is too much modification to get to a different variant - is this enough to make it ineligible, or would it being identical to the 200 keep it on the right side of the line? 

I'd really like to build it, but I'm ok if it's ineligible, it fits a GB later in the year.

Oh this a painful one (particularly as the One-Eleven is one of my favourites!).

I find applying subjective 'discretion' quite stressful, so I've deliberately tried to adopt eligibility rules that are unambiguous and can applied fairly and objectively to all.

To be eligible, a subject (defined as being a particular variant), must have been built within the Boomer timeframe and so the 300 series would not qualify, notwithstanding its visual similarity to the 200 series.  Sorry.

I'm glad to hear that you've got another potential GB home for it though, and I look forward to seeing it there 👍

Cheers.

2 hours ago, CliffB said:

Oh this a painful one (particularly as the One-Eleven is one of my favourites!).

I find applying subjective 'discretion' quite stressful, so I've deliberately tried to adopt eligibility rules that are unambiguous and can applied fairly and objectively to all.

To be eligible, a subject (defined as being a particular variant), must have been built within the Boomer timeframe and so the 300 series would not qualify, notwithstanding its visual similarity to the 200 series.  Sorry.

I'm glad to hear that you've got another potential GB home for it though, and I look forward to seeing it there 👍

Cheers.

No worries! I've got two of the Welsh Models boxings of the EE kit, but the ones I most want to build are 300s and 400s. But they'll qualify for Made In Ukraine later in the year. 

• Like 3

I've got a couple of old DDR kits of Soviet helicopters that'd sit right in here, though I'd probably just stick the little MI4 one in for now, as the monster MIL MI 6 I'll likely want to have a think about how I'm going to approach it. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 9

13 hours ago, Pig of the Week said:

I've got a couple of old DDR kits of Soviet helicopters that'd sit right in here,

These old East German kits have a charm of their own and will sit beautifully in the Group Build :thumbsup: 

• Like 1

Already got two subjects in mind and a potential large build eligible if a paint test buld goes well and then I go and disscover another future large build I have in the stash is eligible the airframe in mind was built in 1962........oh no 

• Like 2