HMCS Eyebright - 1/350 Mirage Hobby/White Ensign

robgizlu

Hi Rob, coming along nicely, mind if I ask a newbie question? The bulwark supports look great, can I ask how you go about cutting small pieces of sheet like that and keep the size consistent for lots of pieces, its one thing (of many) I'd like to be able to do, as you see those kind of supports everywhere on ships, 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rich75 said:

Hi Rob, coming along nicely, mind if I ask a newbie question? The bulwark supports look great, can I ask how you go about cutting small pieces of sheet like that and keep the size consistent for lots of pieces, its one thing (of many) I'd like to be able to do, as you see those kind of supports everywhere on ships, 

Hi Rich

You need some 0.3 x 1mm plastruct strips.  Cut 3mm (in this case) sections and simply cut with a sharp blade (Swann & Morton No 11 is my go-to) from the bottom corner to the opposite top and you then have 2 (usually) equal bulwark supports that I fix using Tamiya Extra Thin cement.

HTH

Good luck 

Rob

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Bridge house is "roofed" and the bridge area is "pimped"

2022 11 29_4380

2022 11 29_4381

The Etch wiind deflectors did not fit that well and I damaged them beyond repair so ...had to resort to plastic.  it looks clunky but will paint up OK 

2022 11 29_4378

The 3D printed splinte mattresses from Micromaster  are just Excellent :clap2:

2022 11 29_4386

The funnel was detailed as was the 4" gun arrangement.  Peculiarly, Eyebright's gun had a "skirt" around the bottom of the shield which is replicated from Green stuff putty as is the barrell blast bag

2022 11 29_4387

Once again the shell holders look clunky in plastic but after paint will blend in.  I opted to keep the etch ones for HMS Jonquil for no good reason.

The plastic white rods sticking up are there for easy placement of the cowl vents

2022 11 29_4388

The rails around the 4" gun differed enormously .  Once again Curiously Eyebright appears to have very short stacnchions with no rail or wire around, at least none that is visible.  I did them first in 0.3mm diam plastic rod then when i came to look at the pics here, went back and replaced with 0.2  nickel rod which works a whole lot better

2022 11 29_4392

Noooooo....

2022 11 29_4394

Better.

I deliberated about fitting the Pom Pom 2 pounder platform at this stage before priming and painting but finally decided to go ahead as the thin plastic rod "supports" stick better with styrene glue to "bare" plastic.  Once painted yo are obliged to use CA which is harder and messier.

2022 11 29_4389

2022 11 29_4390

Primer soon - Thanks for looking

Rob

• Like 15

• 3 weeks later...

So - Rain did rather stop play.  The reason for the delay here is that my top floor "playroom" sprung a roof leak whcih necessitated emptying it all and throwing away 20 years of accumulated junk together with all my old medical books and paraphenalia (there's no going back :yahoo:).  What an utter nuisance.  Then re-decorating.  The only bright spot was that I bought another display case to decant my models into whilst moving the original Ikea unit.  I now have a clean empty room with double the display space and don't know where anything is :doh:

So.....where were we?  Well first let me just remind you all that Ben Druel at Black Cat has released several Fabulosa sets of Royal Navy figures including Those in European dress, Tropical and Duffle Coat Northern Atlantic garb.  They are iin my opinion Excellent.  I did post in my "Comparative Review" thread in WW2 section but it gets sunk under other threads and you really do deserve to know about these.  

2022 12 13_4395

2022 12 13_4412

2022 12 13_4411

2022 12 13_4414

2022 12 13_4413

In truth they are difficult to photograph and do justice to.  For my money they are now the best RN figures around and very reasonably priced.  I'll be using them later in this build.

Ben has just announced a Long Foc'sle Flower Class Corvette for next year which is really long overdue, and will make the Mirage offerings and the up-detailing they need pretty redundant.

I've asked him to produce some "Rope coils" that I know we all NEED and some Merchant Navy type figures in overalls and unoffical dress that you see in Trawler or Corvete photos.  Fingers crossed.

Progress on the Corvette has been slow as per the above so this is a quick look at where I'm at.

The mast had the yard arm soldered on using liquid solder

2022 12 21_4419

And I built the whole using  a crow's nest from the Starling Bangor Class...

2022 12 21_4420

2022 12 21_4421

Primer in the form of Mig Ammo One-shot has been applied to all of the parts and maini hull

2022 12 21_4416

I treated myself to an early Christmas present courtesy of Peter Hall

2022 12 21_4417

At first glance the moulding is just Superb.

2022 12 21_4418

My only single disapointment is that after carefully studying all of the photos available HMS Severn is NOT in a white livery for her hull as she appears to be be.  It really is a trick of the light and all of the hull save the green and blue bits are Weatherwork Grey.  Can't help feeling the Navy missed a real artistic opportunity here :weep:

Expect it completed soon.  I hope to up my building pace for 2023.

A provisional build list is as follows:

1)  Complete HMCS Eyebright

2)  Build the P2000 Archer class to iron out any issues before...

3)  Building HMS Severn

4)  HMT Sir Lamorack

5)  River Class Frigate HMW Wye

6)  LCT-5 in Holland with a Low altitude Barrage Balloon

7)  Finish the AVRE, now that DEF models have done a resin Canvas mantle

Which now only leaves me wishing you ALL a very Happy, Safe, Warm Christmas and a Prosperous and Healthy New Year.

Thanks for your company throughout the year which I've enjoyed enormously

Rob

• Like 13

Good to see you back, bit of a bummer about your water problem.
That HMS Severn is very tempting, probably another one to add to next years ‘to buy’ list, which is definitely getting a bit out of control.

Thanks for all the inspiration this past year.

A Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you, ‘see’ you in ‘23.
Jon

• Like 2

Sorry to hear about the room damage and books destroyed but sound like you could be onto a winner with the extra storage and now free time I will be joining the ranks of retirees next April only 16 weeks to go.  :thumbsup:

very tempted buy the Severn kit will see what Santa brings before I order though .  :whistle:

Loving all the little details and the Black Cat figures do look rather nice as well.

Stay Safe and Cosy over the holiday period wishing you and the family

Best Wishes for 2023.

beefy

• Like 2

10 hours ago, beefy66 said:

I will be joining the ranks of retirees next April only 16 weeks to go.  :thumbsup:

Gidday, I'm sure you're counting down the days - I was. And I can highly recommend retirement.

And @robgizlu, sorry to hear of your water damage. But now that you have another display case you'd better get on and fill it! 🙂       Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, robgizlu said:

there's no going back 

Oh dear!  :hmmm:

Does that mean more modelling. .. :nodding:

Sorry to hear of your enforced clean up but a good platform to start anew.

Interesting provisional list. I note a slide towards modern Navy.

Seasons greetings to you and yours 🎅. Stay safe and dry

Kev

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about  the water damage, Rob.   Sounds like you've successfully implemented a damage control plan.

I was surprised by your photo showing how big HMS Severn is relative, to HMCS Eyebright.  It really puts the small size of the corvettes into perspective.

On 21/12/2022 at 07:35, robgizlu said:

... My only single disapointment is that after carefully studying all of the photos available HMS Severn is NOT in a white livery for her hull as she appears to be be.  It really is a trick of the light and all of the hull save the green and blue bits are Weatherwork Grey.  Can't help feeling the Navy missed a real artistic opportunity here :weep: ...

I agree!  Not applying a creative camo scheme  to the River Class ships was a opportunity lost.

Best wishes for the holiday season.

John

Edited by JohnWS
  • Like 1

On 12/21/2022 at 12:35 PM, robgizlu said:

I bought another display case

Can I take it that this new case is for your maritime subjects 'cos I need one of them? Details please?

As for the early Christmas present, why not...

Best wishes Rob

Stuart

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Courageous said:

Can I take it that this new case is for your maritime subjects 'cos I need one of them? Details please?

As for the early Christmas present, why not...

Best wishes Rob

Stuart

Hi Stu

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/rudsta-glass-door-cabinet-anthracite-50450137/

Builds without difficulty and sits under my sloping roof

HTH

Rob

• Like 3

Definitely following! A favourite type of small ship and the build is shaping up really nicely! I'm fascinated by the use of foam for a base  - I'd like to use it for my T-Class. So far I  haven't found it in any of the local Diy emporia's website...or am I not looking for the right thing? Choice is a bit limited here on the Island. Jewson? B&Q?

• Like 1

On 12/24/2022 at 8:19 AM, S-boat 55 said:

Gald you got the roof and decorating sorted, I looked at the same unit for mine as well, be curious to see a real life photo if you get the chance, 

Have a great Christmas and New year's, 

Your wish, my command

IMG_0657

And for those of you with modelling palaces........this is the rather humble Matthews shipyard ;)

On 12/24/2022 at 8:31 AM, seadog said:

Definitely following! A favourite type of small ship and the build is shaping up really nicely! I'm fascinated by the use of foam for a base  - I'd like to use it for my T-Class. So far I  haven't found it in any of the local Diy emporia's website...or am I not looking for the right thing? Choice is a bit limited here on the Island. Jewson? B&Q?

Hi Fraser

This is my source to date - https://modelshop.co.uk/

Sadly looking through this week - they no longer have any "White/cream" 20mm deep Styrofoam.  They only have it in a depth of 80cm.  They seem to be replacing with the grey Styrofoam which is fine - Stiffer and better for large bases BUT not so easy to carve AND does not deform with the blowtorch like the cream does.  I'll give them a ring in the new year to see if they'll do more.  I've looked elselwhere but have not found anything that seems entirely similar :weep:  te American sites often mention buying similar from DIY stores but I've not seen anything similar in UK.  I stand to be happily corrected if anyone knows otherwise.

And so after priming, i laid down base coats of 507A and rust colours ini anticipation of soome "Hairspray" fiddling.  Great fun though very little will eventually be seen

2022 12 30_4435

2022 12 30_4429

2022 12 30_4430

2022 12 30_4432

2022 12 30_4431

Then sealed it all with a coat of Tamiya lacquer that I hope will protect the base coats and prevent them "lifting"

2022 12 30_4428

The base was sprayed with Vallejo MA DSGrey and Med SG 2 : 1 and foam wake added

2022 12 30_4424

the contrast water swirl was done with Pale blue grey 71.046 and white

2022 12 30_4425

The hull white needed up to 4 light coats to adequately cover the mess beneath

2022 12 30_4422

2022 12 30_4426

Progress is necessarily slow as I want each coat to dry before beginning serious masking

2022 12 30_4423

More soon

Happy New Year All

Rob

• Like 11

17 hours ago, JohnWS said:

Rob, I've been looking for display cabinet that fits in my small modelling space.  That Ikea unit should fit nicely.  Thanks for posting the info. & photo.

John

Hi John - I forget that some things such as Ikea are international :winkgrin:.  UK cost is £129 which I thought reasonable.  Ikea also do LED flat circular lights that you can fit - I had to buy double sied adhesive tape which has only been partially successful to date.  Drilling through the metal doesn't really seem an option.

John - BTW - do you know if Resinshipyard/Hawk Graphics Decals are still in business?  Thanks for any intel

Rob

She's looking stunning so far and I'm enjoying the progress!

Noting you bought a Severn, I've been debating  either her or one of thebatch 2 whenthey arrive. I'm fascinated by the commerative sheme they painted her in - something very different from grey overall :)