Dealing with stiff non sticky decals?

BikingLampy

I'm part way into an Airfix 1/72 Phantom FG.1 and I'm struggling with the decals (of which, being a 'toom, there are bazillions...)

Currently trying to do the weaponry, but the decals, despite LOTS of Microsol/set are just sitting there like planks and refusing to soften and conform. Quite a problem doing the stripes on a Sidewinder that's about 1.5mm dia. and the decals need to wrap around. 

Normally you apply the 'sol and after a minute or so the decal wrinkles up a bit and you can smooth it down with a cotton bud. These are just ignoring it. Even when I can get them to conform a bit they're not adhering to the surface, poke one bit to try and make it nestle down and the rest just slithers off again.

Ideas? Is there a more superduper decal softener out there?

Thanks!

BL

1 minute ago, BikingLampy said:

Ideas? Is there a more superduper decal softener out there?

Several! DACO Red is difficult to obtain outside of your hemisphere, so I've never used it, but it has a reputation for Ark of the Covenenant-like melting powers on decals: https://www.dacoproducts.com/Ksetting.php

Here in the USA, I use Solvaset, which can do to frail, thin decals what Regency-era rakes did to naïve maidens, but which is pretty much certain to melt a decal right to a model.

8 minutes ago, BikingLampy said:

Ideas?

Are you using cold water?   Have you tried hot water?  I mean quite hot.  It has been discussed on here regarding Japanese decals which are thick, due to the heat activated glue.    I have used a saucer of hot water kept hot on coffee machine hotplate.

Alternately press with a hot flannel/cotton bud.

12 minutes ago, BikingLampy said:

Even when I can get them to conform a bit they're not adhering to the surface, poke one bit to try and make it nestle down and the rest just slithers off again.

Bed in Kleer , which aids adhesion. Can be combined with hot water.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235038987-bedding-decals-in-klear-future-or-equivalent/

As with anything new, try on a scrap decal first. 

HTH

• Like 1

Thanks guys.

Anyone got an (in stock) source for Daco Strong? Either my google-fu is utter rubbish, or its currently not available in the UK. 

How does "Ultimate Decal Setting Solution (Extra strong)" compare?

I've got a bottle of Pledge/Klear, so I might give that a whirl, although TBH, I've never found it much use for anything.

2 hours ago, BikingLampy said:

I've got a bottle of Pledge/Klear, so I might give that a whirl, although TBH, I've never found it much use for anything.

Depends what you want/expect.  It's great for these non floor applications

1.Great gloss coat when applied soft wide flat brush. It's meant for floor so very tough. 

2. canopy dipping, as a self levelling liquid, it will fill an small imperfections and makes a canopy seem clearer and shinier as a result.

3. as a decal bedding agent, ideally over a Klear gloss coat, it acts as an adhesive and surface leveller,  thus dealing with silvering.

They work for me, but as my sig says..... it's what works for you.

• Like 1

On 11/14/2022 at 1:12 PM, BikingLampy said:

Is there a more superduper decal softener out there?

I had quite good results with Humbrol DecalFix. They recommend actually *soaking* the decal in it.

There is good tutorial here:

Be careful it may react with gloss layer if you have any.

But as always - test with some spare decal there if you have any left.

Edited by Casey