Wingnut Wings in 2023?

Steve Coombs

Fought against the temptation and lost, a DH9 and a Dolphin on backorder.  Prety reasonable prices, all things considered, especially when you compare with Ebay prices :yikes:.  I wish the Ninack had been included, though, I had one before but foolishly sold it on :wall:

• Like 1

I wonder how many Wingnut Wings kits will ever be built before the planet expires?

A tiny proportion I guess? Most might end up as modellers collectors items ... maybe?

Speaking formyself and WnW were in full flight as  a factory I bought lots and I mean LOTS, it was embarrasing how many I bought, even in bulk as in 4 or 5 at once.

I was dimmly aware that WnW was going out of business or quitting and genuinly believed I thought these kits will stay with me for life.

But then realism set in, knew I'd never build them and a few months later sold them one by one on Ebay for what was bidded for them and in each case more than I paid for them ...  The Gotha especially ... Only time I ever made a profit on kits.

Fair play to those buying these, but ask yourselves, are they for the building or the colecting?

Enjoy.

• Like 2

I too have bought embarassing numbers, but still put a few more on backorder. I have not built a single one yet, but I do intend to build them - I’m waiting for age to catch up and force me out of the 1/72 game. I have already opened several to use them as reference for 1/72 models of the same planes, and opened the rest just to fondle and admire the plastic, so I’ve busted the collector value anyway :D

Edited by Torbjorn
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, One 48 said:

I wonder how many Wingnut Wings kits will ever be built before the planet expires?

This is why I sold all mine, at a loss, shortly before WNW itself went under. Well, I never was much good at making the right choices. But I daresay WNW kits are especially unlikely to be built compared to most.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Nobodys Judging anybody Jones :) WnW were as good as Tamiya or better for their choice in WW1 aviation kits .. enjoy my friend, have still kept back two here and those two will never be sold.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, One 48 said:

A tiny proportion I guess? Most might end up as modellers collectors items ... maybe?

Judging by the number of WNW models on display at Telford and in Malmø (at C4-Open), a good number of them do get built - but it certainly takes time.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, LN-KEH said:

Judging by the number of WNW models on display at Telford and in Malmø (at C4-Open), a good number of them do get built - but it certainly takes time.

suspect it’s a lot of people realising they can’t afford to make any errors in the build process due to availability of replacement parts. It would explain the price of spare parts and decals on eBay to a certain degree. 

1 hour ago, Sharpscale said:

suspect it’s a lot of people realising they can’t afford to make any errors in the build process due to availability of replacement parts. It would explain the price of spare parts and decals on eBay to a certain degree. 

Having built several, despite disliking the scale, I have to differ. I don't think most people able to stick two bits of plastic together would make errors so long as they followed the instructions. WNW went out of their way to make it all as foolproof and easy as possible.  Imagine if Tamiya had stopped trading. Would you not built those kits in your stash for fear of damaging them?

Paul.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Paul Thompson said:

Having built several, despite disliking the scale, I have to differ. I don't think most people able to stick two bits of plastic together would make errors so long as they followed the instructions. WNW went out of their way to make it all as foolproof and easy as possible.  Imagine if Tamiya had stopped trading. Would you not built those kits in your stash for fear of damaging them?

Paul.

Good post Paul.

And you know what ...

I do value Tamiya's 1/32 Aircraft range, have them all apart from the Mosquito, am a 1/48 focus modeller, but don't mind the odd 1/32 Aircraft kit too.

WNW were quite prolific in their day, knocking out high quality kits, left right and centre in a very short time span ... you have to admire what they did, even Tamiya could not match that pace for 1/32 aircraft and that's most unfortunate :(

We have what we have though, we are all different, still have my two remaining WnW kits that I will never let go, and yes my intent is to build them ... but gee wizz, for a while I almost had the whole WnW range here ... it was a nice collection, but had to let most go.

We all gotta do what we need to do as Modellers and Collectors ... take care out there

Anybody know when Hannants will be receiving their shipment and able to start meeting their orders?  i.e. is it going to be a Christmas present or a nice surprise during the post Christmas blues in January/February (or later!)

P.S. In regards to building or not building, I think lots of WnW are bought by money rich/time poor modellers like me who end up with a stash, but not very much time to actually build (only another 13 years to retirement!)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tangerine_sedge said:

Anybody know when Hannants will be receiving their shipment and able to start meeting their orders?  i.e. is it going to be a Christmas present or a nice surprise during the post Christmas blues in January/February (or later!)

P.S. In regards to building or not building, I think lots of WnW are bought by money rich/time poor modellers like me who end up with a stash, but not very much time to actually build (only another 13 years to retirement!)

Dont bank on it, amazing just how much there is to do when retired .🤣

• Like 2

Just over two years to my retirement, then I can start modelling in earnest :)

Just joking of course, model slightly just now, but we all aim for that target of retirement that holds no excuses for our various hobby's but to get going with them !

• Like 1

I am the only member of our club who has built 100% of his WNW kits.   Okay kit if we're being pedantic.

Anyone who thinks they don't have the skills to build one would struggle with an Airfix Starter kit!  They were designed to be straightforward and are as easy and well1designed as Tamiya.  The hardest bit is which recipe to use for PC10.

• Like 1

They’re very easy to build, difficulty maybe like an Eduard Hellcat (except rigging, but in 1/32 that is another thing entirely than in  1/72). Lots of parts true, but they go together easily without fuss or sanding and the instructions are clear. You’ll spend most of the time painting, which is why I stopped building the only kit - sorry, kitset - I started: I felt I spent all my time painting assemblies and got bored. If you, unlike me, like painting they’re perfect.

Edited by Torbjorn
  • Like 2

On 11/19/2022 at 8:01 PM, Sharpscale said:

I see that Hannants have added a note to their homepage stating that product pages for the incoming kits will be removed as full allocation is approached. To me, that means if you can place it on backorder then it’s yours.

If I’ve understood that correctly, it means there’s been no stampede for most kits, as nearly all are still available for back order.

If those WNW kits are not selling at Hannants very fair prices, I wonder how many chancers on fLeabay are actually selling anything at all?

• Like 4

On 11/23/2022 at 3:17 AM, firefly7 said:

I think Andy's Headquarters and possibly Spruebrothers still have the Ninack available Jones. And at the original selling price ( or very close to it ).   Cheers.

Thanks for the suggestion, but the Ninack kit they are selling is the post-war version, which is also available from Hannants, and it is the wartime version I am interested in.  I also suspect the cost of importing one from the US would be prohibitive.  Ah well, I'll just have to make do with the DH9 and the Dolphin.

1 hour ago, 593jones said:

Thanks for the suggestion, but the Ninack kit they are selling is the post-war version, which is also available from Hannants, and it is the wartime version I am interested in.  I also suspect the cost of importing one from the US would be prohibitive.  Ah well, I'll just have to make do with the DH9 and the Dolphin.

Are there any differences in the plastic between war- and post-war-version of the Ninack, Jones? Or is it the decals you're after? If it's the decals, try the good community of WnW fans on FB.

4 hours ago, RHWinter said:

Are there any differences in the plastic between war- and post-war-version of the Ninack, Jones? Or is it the decals you're after? If it's the decals, try the good community of WnW fans on FB.

It is the schemes, the post-war aircraft are in a silver dope scheme, apart from a Russian aircraft, so not my thing, and, sadly or otherwise, I don't do Facebook.

8 hours ago, elderly said:

If I’ve understood that correctly, it means there’s been no stampede for most kits, as nearly all are still available for back order.

If those WNW kits are not selling at Hannants very fair prices, I wonder how many chancers on fLeabay are actually selling anything at all?

Agreed, I think there are only a few that have 'sold out', one of which is the white Hermann Goring Fokker. Maybe anecdotal but I think eBay listings are increasing in number and with a lower starting bid price as people look to clear out their stock and get the best price possible before the incoming stock gets distributed.

And then there's a Felixstowe & Hansa Brandenburg combo on eBay for 700 squid...🙃

• 2 weeks later...