Wingnut Wings in 2023?

Steve Coombs

Me too!  But this is the second round for me as I bought and built my first and to date only WNW from MBK’s previous last ever chance to buy!

On 11/14/2022 at 8:00 PM, Steve Coombs said:

I've just seen on the website of my plastic pusher of choice (MBK, if you're familiar with it) that it will be selling Wingnut Wings stuff in the new year. No details yet.

It can't be shifting remaining stock, because they don't have any. As I see it, there are three possibilities:

1. Someone discovered some unsold stock sitting in a warehouse somewhere
  2. Someone has taken possession of existing moulds and is in a position to use them
  3. WNW is coming back

Seeing as several of the old WNW team are now part of Kōtare, I doubt option 3 is realistic, though I'd be happy to be proven wrong.
This is in the Rumourmonger section; let the rumours fly!

Hey, that would be cool, buying without paying crazy customs duties and handling fees! But I assume stocks will not last till Lingen - if that one will happen in the first place... Looks like I'll have to fold the rear seats flat and drive to Delmenhorst in January - 1.800 liters should accommodate a couple of kits 🙂

On 11/15/2022 at 8:09 AM, Paul Thompson said:

Nice to see someone who can memory. Every discussion about WNW falls into the trap of rememberring them going bankrupt. Which they didn't.

Paul.

Just the same regarding Frog 45 years earlier - the Frog moulds were NOT "sold" to the USSR because DunbeeCrombexMarx went bankrupt (IIRC that happened, but somewhat later), but as an attempt to be able to offer product at unbeatable prices. Or as regards Airfix in 1985 - "they" (actually there was no "they" as Airfix was merely a trademark then) did not "break down", but General Mills as ultimate owners decided to divest non-core businesses including toys. Perhaps it makes people feel better if someone's exit from business is down to bankruptcy, or it is an unconscious reflex to think this. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, czaralko said:

Wow never thought this kit went on for sale, even in very limited quantities

In fact the Ho O/100 and O/400 never went for sale. There were only two shots, one of each version, given to two modelers to build them for marketing purposes. And then WnW closed their gates… 

There's a serious source for what happened to WnW, the „ww1aircraftmodels.com“ (https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=13468.0 - Look for posts by the forum's administrator Dave Wilson.)

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, RHWinter said:

In fact the Ho O/100 and O/400 never went for sale. There were only two shots, one of each version, given to two modelers to build them for marketing purposes. And then WnW closed their gates… 

There's a serious source for what happened to WnW, the „ww1aircraftmodels.com“ (https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=13468.0 - Look for posts by the forum's administrator Dave Wilson.)

Particularly reply number 10 by Mr Wilson on the first page of that linked thread.

Paul.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, KITCAT said:

Now what about the Brown box series listed on the WnW's website and also some decals?

Those I saw at my local hobby shop for sale back when WW was still going strong, but i am surprised they are not part of the liquidation, i guess those were produced in limited quantity and sold out

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Paul Thompson said:

Particularly reply number 10 by Mr Wilson on the first page of that linked thread.

Paul.

I'm unclear how he knows what another person will do in the future? And I'm unclear how Jackson can have a competitor in an industry Jackson has exited? Nor why a "valuable asset" wouldn't be sold for its value? Frankly, if Jackson chosen not to sell the moulds, that's his choice but it's a pretty churlish choice if he's never going to use them.

• Like 1

I suspect that the molds will be sold or leased eventually, but it makes sense to dispose of the remaining WNW stock before doing so.  Sell them off, let the feeding frenzy die down, let the prices go back up as kits get built...then put the molds on the market.  I'd figure three to four years.

On 16/11/2022 at 17:01, sanfrandragon said:

I put a couple on back order at Hannants inc the Goering Fokker DVII F, as I bought some lovely Aviattic Ukrainian AF decals (proceeds to Ukrainian Red Cross) for the F model.

Is that the same as placing a confirmed order for when they arrive?

I see that Hannants have added a note to their homepage stating that product pages for the incoming kits will be removed as full allocation is approached. To me, that means if you can place it on backorder then it’s yours.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/17/2022 at 11:54 AM, Don149 said:

I`ve got 22 WNWs built and always regretted not getting the Jeannin Stahltaube , now there`s one on backorder . "YABA DABA Doo ! .

Same here, that was the one i really wanted but was not able to buy one when it came out, i am glad i was able to secure one! 
in another note did inflation make these kits cheaper? I remeber they used to be expensive back then, now they dont seem as bad 

8 hours ago, czaralko said:

Same here, that was the one i really wanted but was not able to buy one when it came out, i am glad i was able to secure one! 
in another note did inflation make these kits cheaper? I remeber they used to be expensive back then, now they dont seem as bad 

A few years of Ebay prices will do that to you.

Paul.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1