Air Graphics 1/72 RAF P-8 Poseidon kit.

TBC

Is there anyone on this forum that was present at Telford and picked up their Air Graphics boxing of the 1/72 RAF P-8 Poseidon MRA1 kit? If so, I would like to know what your thoughts are if you've opened it up.

Thank you.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Julien said:

I heard the resin was not available for the kit yet? But I dont actually know that for certain. 

Interesting! I posted on their Facebook page on November 5th asking when kits would be shipped to those of us who needed them posted to us. The reply was, "the week after next." That's this week.

I would have thought that whoever it was that replied to me on Facebook would have said something if the limited-run kits weren't complete yet, and there would be a delay.

Just now, TBC said:

Interesting! I posted on their Facebook page on November 5th asking when kits would be shipped to those of us who needed them posted to us. The reply was, "the week after next." That's this week.

I would have thought that whoever it was that replied to me on Facebook would have said something if the limited-run kits weren't complete yet, and there would be a delay.

I believe the owner has had some health issues -- he mentions on the site orders may be delayed up to six weeks, which I only noticed after I'd bought some early Hawk seats.

I saw this posted on their FB today?

All the new items released at Scale Modelworld are now on the web site plus our new Snowcat kit which only arrived this morning as it was stuck in customs.

We also have 8 P-8 Poseidon kits left from the weekend and this will not be restocked.

Thanks, Julien. So they were at SMW with the kits. Should expect mine to be on the way sometime this week I should think. Maybe there is someone on this forum who was there and picked one up and might like to offer a comment or two about the kit then.

I picked up my kit, and opened the lid when I got home. I was rather disappointed really. The kit came in its original BPK box, not the box that it is advertised with. No problem with that. More important is what is in the box. The first that comes into sight is the decal sheet for RAF Poseidons, and a small 8 page instructions booklet containing markings guide for the decals plus a few photos. Searching through the box for the "update parts" became a bit of a challenge. At the bottom I found three tiny plastic bags with some resin bits. These contained several lumps and bumps that were among the plastic parts already plus a set of slightly weighted wheels (that looks like they are copies of the plastic parts). A set of attachment plates for the wing pylons are more detailed than the plastic ones, but if you are putting on the pylons this will not be visible.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I was charged £ 160 for my preordered kit, while it sells for about £ 100 directly from BPK. It is definitely not worth it. In practice you pay £ 60 for a decal sheet (a rather good one though).

Air Graphics now announces a crew ladder set on their web site. This is among the parts I would expect to be included in an "update set" of this type. But it is sold separately for £ 22.

I did not know what to expect in this kit. But I really feel being cheated.

• Thanks 3
  • Sad 10

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, gmsphoto said:

Has anyone received their kit yet that didn't pick up at Telford? 

Nope. Don't even know if it's been shipped. Haven't heard from them at all.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Julien said:

Have you tried contacting them?

Yes. Three times actually. The most recent on their FB page on November 14th. They responded to my query with, "Yes as soon as posted. Most will go out on Monday as post strike should be over then." That means the date posted and when we should have been notified was November21st.

I'm left with the opinion now that kits were taken to Telford (prepaid pick-ups or cash sale) as a first priority and those of us who prepaid and required shipment (July 19th for me) were second in line.

Edited by TBC
  • Like 1

Contacted them not 10 minutes ago through their web page. I basically said that I had no idea what was going on with my order and that if they were unable to provide when it would be shipped and a tracking number, then at this point I would like a refund. They gave me my money back. Okay then!

So does that mean that they couldn't tell me or here is your money and go?

Edited by TBC

I have seen the basic BPK P-8A for quite a range of prices depending on whether tax and postage is included. Seems to be available at arounf £148 including postage through eBay in the UK (although I am slightly suspicious it may have increased since it was initially released). Hobby Link Japan has it at £142.90 + £17.77 (I assume there may be tax on that too).  So not really a cheap base kit. With additional resin parts / decals for around £12 its probably par for the course generally for Air Graphics stuff. TBH I can't see what added value the parts offer over those included in the kit in this case - they seem to be just replacements. 

Postage on the other hand at £20 in the UK does seem a tad excessive - unless they are using a special delivery or courier service. For Royal Mail (I doubt the parcel would be over 10kg) so it sould be around £5.95 - unless there's a hefty premium for packing...   🤔

Edited by RichG

On 11/28/2022 at 11:19 PM, gmsphoto said:

I think it's £160 and £20 postage. I emailed and cancelled my order. They did say it would  be posted out today.  so fingers crossed for people waiting.

Ah, didn't see that was inclusive of postage.

Edited by NavyWessex
  • Sad 1