M3-LEE EARLY, 1/35 TAKOM.

Hi Pals,

This model is well known by many, it is quite simple, with some factory problems, but they can be solved with some skill.

I had read about it before, and since I thought I could fix it, I also bought it at a discount time.

I remember that the structure of the hull, being asymmetrical and complex in shape, I had some problem fitting it into place, I think I had to "sculpt" some joint, although not what it was...sorry, in case it was useful. ..

Another well-known thing is the "union" of the tracks, which although they are easy to finish, they have not measured the length they should have well, and there is a space of approximately one link that must be filled...

I saw that other modelers cut a link in half, and it was just right... I tried to cut two, so that the loss of width would be less noticeable...

As an improvement I tried making the grip straps for the tools out of masking tape.

Another problem with the kit is that the decals, although beautiful, are extremely thick...and that even with the fixing liquids, it was impossible not to notice that they "protruded"...incredible for a brand like " TAKOM"... despite everything, several layers of product and varnish, did the job...

The stars and the yellow band, I did try with a mask and tape, to airbrush them, because the quality was just as bad, but the surface was not smooth as with the numerals... I think that after several tests they turned out well...

The idea was to make a used vehicle, but one that has not seen real combat, since the paint options offered by the kit are from training schools, except the Soviet one, but since I wanted an American vehicle that I have very few, hence the chose.

I added a fiber antenna and that's it....

There are some photos with his "little brother" an M3 Stuart, which he had already done before (and published in the forum in case someone is interested in seeing it, I add a link WIP and RTI), and that seemed appropriate, since they are from the same period and same user, for comparison...

RECCE FORCE, M3A1 STUART 1/35 ITALERI

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235074828-recce-force-m3a1-stuart-135-italeri/

Thanks for watching as always.

Cheers and TC
Francis.👍

hfqaNyt.jpg

VjqqlgB.jpg

nl3dmGj.jpg

1NxkK3c.jpg

DNnE1gF.jpg

KBCNigr.jpg

ABG1RkK.jpg

xe3W0sL.jpg

ZpZ8oqD.jpg

FJ7EY68.jpg

ystrOQt.jpg

SOME PICS ON DETAIL:

f7Rmcr9.jpg

tiZBGmC.jpg

BROTHERS IN ARMS:

3Ajt9rO.jpg

CyJddjm.jpg

7OrXKve.jpg

Kd9ogbi.jpg

Edited by FrancisGL
  • Like 43
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, andmarsh said:

looks great - how do you weather the tracks?

Hi andmarsh,

Many thanks for your follow, like and kind words, i'm glad you like it.

Some time ago I even did the Lee, and I lost the photos of the WIP that I was doing, but I will try to review what I did then, The first, black primer, once dry, with some AK enamel product, I think "Deposits", somewhat diluted, a wash, so that there is dust between the links, once dry, brush, gently as much as possible, to remove from the outgoing the excess, and that there is contrast between the two parts of the track. As the track is made of rigid plastic, where there is contact, when the model is manipulated, it can be "peeled", so the soft brushing... And I think lastly, a pigment brush, just a little bit of powder on the brush. Seal everything with a layer of matte varnish. I hope that helps

Cheers and TC

Francis.👍

12 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

Hi andmarsh,

Many thanks for your follow, like and kind words, i'm glad you like it.

Some time ago I even did the Lee, and I lost the photos of the WIP that I was doing, but I will try to review what I did then, The first, black primer, once dry, with some AK enamel product, I think "Deposits", somewhat diluted, a wash, so that there is dust between the links, once dry, brush, gently as much as possible, to remove from the outgoing the excess, and that there is contrast between the two parts of the track. As the track is made of rigid plastic, where there is contact, when the model is manipulated, it can be "peeled", so the soft brushing... And I think lastly, a pigment brush, just a little bit of powder on the brush. Seal everything with a layer of matte varnish. I hope that helps

Cheers and TC

Francis.👍

Thanks I really like it,. And thinking about buying this takom kit now my tamiya Sherman is finished 😊

• Like 1

On 14/11/2022 at 16:32, IanC said:

A cracking model, nicely painted and weathered. It has a real 'heavy metal' look to it, and sits well alongside your equally impressive Stuart. 

Hi Ian,

Many thanks for your like and kind comments, i'm glad you like it.

It was a last minute idea, when I had finished taking the photos, I thought, why not put the "little one" next to it, it's not a figure, but at least it gives an idea of the size to the "initiated"... lol

Cheers and TC

Francis.👍

Very nice work,thanks for the heads-up.

I have some Lulubelle decals I want to use.

Also,are there any AM tracks available.

Edited by Tojo72
  • Thanks 1

On 14/11/2022 at 17:35, Stef N. said:

That's great workmanship Francis. Well done on an impressive pair of models.👍👏

Hi Stef,

Many thanks for your like and kind words, much appreciated, i'm glad you like it.

Cheers and TC

Francis.👍

• Like 1

On 14/11/2022 at 18:08, Bullbasket said:

Superb build Francis. You've done an excellent job on the painting and weathering, and nice work with the photos. They show it off perfectly.

John.

Hi John,

Many thanks for your like and kind words, i'm glad you like it, much much appreciated mate.

Cheers and TC

Francis.👍

• Like 1

On 14/11/2022 at 18:52, StuartH said:

Superb job 👏

Looks fantastic and as has been mentioned it has a very heavy realistic feel to it.

Great pair of models👍

Hi Stuart,

Many thanks for your like and kind comments, much appreciated, i'm glad you like it.

Sometimes I am surprised when I see the photos of the finished model, because when you see it in the showcase without adequate and direct light, it does not look like much, but once it is well focused and framed, everything, the good and the bad of the work, comes to light. the light...

Cheers and TC

Francis.👍

On 15/11/2022 at 08:05, providence said:

Great job with these two models ! The weathering is subtle and realist. I always like the tiny Stuart and your models is very nice.

Regards

Providence

Hi Providence,

Many thanks for your kind comments, i'm glad you like it.

This time I decided to do a light weathering, because the Lee is a training school version, and the Stuart, it seems that the real model, was put out of action very soon...

Cheers and TC

Francis.👍

On 15/11/2022 at 14:36, LeeM said:

Great work on both models. Really like the tracks and stowage on both.

Hi Lee,

Many thanks for your kind comments, i'm glad you like it.

The Stuart tracks are vinyl, and the Lee ones are link pieces (not link a link) that is, hard plastic.

Cheers and TC

Francis,👍

On 15/11/2022 at 21:08, edjbartos said:

That's amazing Francis, really, really good. The painting is great and the weathering is superb, I like it a lot, well done...👍

Ed

Hi Ed,

Many thanks for your kind comments, i'm glad you like it, trying to improve something each model.

Cheers and TC

Francis.👍

• Like 1