1/35 T-35 heavy tank "the battleship" (semi fictional)

What better way to start off the collection of WWII Soviet armor/vehicles, than with one of the biggest ones available.

The mighty T-35... or more accurately mighty looking, as it was pretty much completely useless in practice.

Here is the WIP side of things,to give you a more complete idea of everything that went into making this, and my impressions on the kit itself.

Basically, i wanted to create a T-35 that was a little more my own, and a little more lively and colorful than a huge Russian green steel brick.

I also wanted to give the T-35 more of a fighting chance in WWII.

The model is mostly out of the box with a new Gun 3D-designed and printed by me, and with a couple stowage items from Tamiya.

The figures come from a couple Miniart-sets.

Painting is a two coat job of Tamiya nato green and some matt white rattle-can paint put on top of all the parts, with everything else had-painted on top using basic Revell paints.

Custom inscriptions where done using a 3D-printed stencil and a pen, and some of the decals come from an FW-200 kit believe it or not.

"The Battleship"

NOTE: the title-above, and everything below, is just a figment of my wild imagination, so don't take this too seriously. While i will be referencing history to a degree (to try an make all of this "fit in"), this vehicle or any of the guys operating it, aren't supposed to represent anyone or anything specifically.

xc9NxOR.jpg

hVbdav4.jpg

Not exactly the most popular or successful of vehicles, the last T-35 tanks where supposed to be scrapped in 1941 following a less than stellar success in the battle of Brody and further engagements in 1941. but our unit, dubbed the "hand-me-down division" still has 3 operational vehicles in the Winter of 1942, now on a small brake following the victory at Stalingrad.

These vehicles being kept operational by using spare bits from other broken T-35 tanks.

The 3 tanks of the units have been nicknamed "Battleship" "Monitor" and "Dreadnought"

One we will be focusing on, is Tank 1, "Battleship"

One of the tanks that took part in the fighting in 1941, still carrying around the scars from those battles. While otherwise a fairly lucky vehicle, in one battle it had to go up against a couple German tanks, thankfully these where or the older and lighter kind.

rqEuUlP.jpg

The German tank crews realized that it would be best to disable the T-35's armaments first, and indeed managed to knock out the forward 45mm turret out of action pretty early on.

9lBdixQ.jpg

As the battle continued, the two tanks exchanged fire while getting ever closer, With the Germans guns being rather light, and the short 76mm gun of the T-35 lacking range.

A few hits where sustained on the main turret before the German tanks where eventually destroyed just in the nick of time.

GjtbZzi.jpg

first hit scraped the roof of the turret...

ztylwn8.jpg

While the second scraped the side of the turret. By this point the other German tank was knocked out. Before the other one was taken out it had managed to get so close that the third and final hit nearly penetrated the turret armor.

Instead of this and other T-35 tanks being completely scrapped as they probably should have, our, then fresh, unit's commander decided to accept a few of these into the unit, to be used as mobile-pilloboxes of some sort. 4 vehicles were originally planned, but the fourth one was instead assigned to be used as a source for spares.

With a less than stellar success, and given the high likelihood that in further engagements, enemy tanks would be even better armed and armored. the commander and the tanks crews looked at ways of upgrading the vehicle. The Driver having worked as a test driver for the factory where these where built, he knew of some of the modification/upgrades that at some point where planned for the T-35 and even the T-28 tanks. And thus, they set about making these happen.

First was the tanks main-gun. Since they couldn't get access to any ZIS-4 guns (one being tried on the T-28) they decided to instead modify some of the unit's ZIS-2 AT guns to work as tank-guns. With the ZIS-2 being a relatively light gun, it should work quite nicely give the sheer weight and size of the new platform for the gun (i know, while in many ways they are the same gun, there are some notable differences between the ZIS-4 tank-gun and the ZIS-2 it was created from)

Another one was the addition of a new more powerful engine (a more powerful engine was an actual planned upgrade for the T-35, tough never implemented). They are of a rather dubious origin, and it's pretty-safe to say someone might come asking-around for them.

It was also around this time that winter was coming around, so the tank received a new white winter-camo, onto which custom inscriptions where painted in red.

And also some big red-stars where applied as-well. The unit not being afraid to "fly the flag" as it where.

o66Gm87.jpg

(I really hope that google translate didn't pull a prank on me :wicked: and that that is the correct translation for "battleship")

Winter of 1942 saw the vehicle engaging in some rather heavy fighting, having to hold off large German formations together with a network of gun emplacements and artillery giving fire-support.

During one particularly nasty battle the tank was almost knocked out as an artillery-shell struck one of the skirts and pretty-much destroyed the entire armor-panel. Thankfully the shell wasn't big enough to cause any further damage.

IAhmXxR.jpg

Coming from the spares vehicle, this panel is still sporting the original green color. To get the tank operational quickly, it was decided to leave the panel green and just slap on a new inscription in a hurry.

As a result of some shrapnel damage from that artillery-barrage and other sources, a couple other bits where also replaced.

It's winter of 1942 now, with the battle of Stalingrad won and the Germans now on retreat, the "battleship" is still rocking and rolling, tough wear and tear and sings of heavy use are evident troughout.

RkBWhV3.jpg

g8nc11u.jpg

And that's where the story ends for this vehicle.

Overall, i really enjoyed the build, and it was a lot of fun taking things to the next level, and finally adding some serious weathering, as well as adding the PE bits provided in the kit.

It was certainly a learning experience for me. Tough i wouldn't say there where any major pitfalls, i will certainly be doing a few things in a slightly different order.

And to close things off, here is a little shot with some of the tanks crew together with their vehicle.

nwokXcd.jpg

And no, the guy on top is not actually part of the crew, he's the one wondering why he agreed to loan he's precious guns to be used on a monster like this.

I left the original 76mm gun's barrel on the fender, so you can see just how tiny the original gun was.

Oh, and be sure to check out the figure side of the project as-well, trough that you will also be able to find all the other parts of the WWII Soviet collection/project.

:thanks: for watching, and i hope i didn't bore you to death or explode your brains with my fictional story for this tank.

Edited by kapteenipirk
Typos everywhere...
  • Like 22

Hi kapteenipirk,

Curious vehicle, one that could have been, that surely would have been more successful, with a main gun like that.... I like the story behind the model, something plausible. I also made one of these, which is posted on the forum, but I adjusted to the OOB model, and the "soviet green brick" type...😅.

Cheers and TC

Francis.👍

19 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

Hi kapteenipirk,

Curious vehicle, one that could have been, that surely would have been more successful, with a main gun like that.... I like the story behind the model, something plausible. I also made one of these, which is posted on the forum, but I adjusted to the OOB model, and the "soviet green brick" type...😅.

Cheers and TC

Francis.👍

Thanks. Well, im glad the story worked out and my historical knowledge isn't completely wrong :phew:

I mean, there's nothing wrong with an all Russian green tank, it's just a personal taste thing ;). And your build looked fantastic.

14 hours ago, StuartH said:

Interesting background information and thanks for sharing.

Great job with the winter wash and I particularly like the tracks 👏

Thanks.

On 11/15/2022 at 3:45 PM, LeeM said:

Nice work and a good story. I can feel the cold.

On 11/15/2022 at 9:15 PM, sardaukar said:

That's a big gun, not sure the turret could've handled that, but great work, I love the idea of land battleships.

On 11/16/2022 at 2:43 PM, Muchmirth said:

I like your own take on this! 

On 11/16/2022 at 4:14 PM, ErikT said:

I think it's beautifully done, and I really enjoyed the story along with it!

Thanks everyone :D

Well, i shall endeavor to create stories around all the other vehicles of this project ^_^, even tough i just realized im kinda empty on ideas for those at the moment... :hmmm: ... well, time to get those creative juices going :pipe:

As far as the 57mm gun working on the T-35, id say it's a pretty safe bet that it would actually work pretty-well.

The 57mm gun was planned to be installed on the T-28. There are no historical photos that i could find, that would show it actually being installed... but what was installed in one vehicle...

omdWocj.png

...was the 95mm F-39. Now that if anything would rip your turret right off.

Also, the ZIS-2 was installed on a bunch of these as-well

jxoqgeC.jpg

And quite successfully, creating a pretty good light AT vehicle. And the T-20 is about the closest your gonna get to a toy-tank in the WWII era Soviet union.

It certainly helped that the ZIS-2 was quite a lightweight gun.

But who knows... :shrug:

One thing is for sure tough, and that's that Land-battleships didn't really ever have a chance to succeed, just too big and too heavy, which is a shame as i do really like the idea of them as-well.

A bit like those huge passenger airships, absolutely magnificent, and you'd love to ride in one, but one also can't help but think of the fact that they are about as inefficient and dangerous as a flying craft can get.

• Like 2

This is my kind of modeling. Take an interesting vehicle. Write an interesting story. Make everything a bit bigger than life. This is a style that I call Grand Opera. It's not to everybody's taste, but I think it's far more interesting then going for absolute realism. Excellent result both in model and in storytelling ! 😁

23 hours ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

This is my kind of modeling. Take an interesting vehicle. Write an interesting story. Make everything a bit bigger than life. This is a style that I call Grand Opera. It's not to everybody's taste, but I think it's far more interesting then going for absolute realism. Excellent result both in model and in storytelling ! 😁

Thanks.

Yeah, definitely not for everyone, but i think using a little creative freedom makes for a much more fun project ^_^.

10 hours ago, sardaukar said:

Actually I release now this sis a similar gun to what made it into the T-34-57, so not impossible by far. The Komsomolets ZiS-30 is fun if you've ever played war thunder.

Indeed, the ZIS-4 used in the T-34-57 being essentially just a slightly modded version of the ZIS-2 made to fit in a tank-turret.

One could say a fair few hours :whistle:, tough that was years ago. Im actually in the process of doing a little homage to all the hours i spent in that game.

The ZIS-30 was pretty-fun, but a little too much of a bullet-magnet, like most open-top vehicles.

• Like 2