Airfix Beaver RNZAF Antarctic Flight NZ6001

I've got an Airfix Beaver tucked away somewhere but can't remember the shapes in that area. Other than what you needed to do to move the wing back, could you use the original screen molding on this. It looks very good to my eye, very right in fact. 👍

Steve.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

I've got an Airfix Beaver tucked away somewhere but can't remember the shapes in that area. Other than what you needed to do to move the wing back, could you use the original screen molding on this. It looks very good to my eye, very right in fact. 👍

Steve.

I think you'd struggle with the original screen parts...they barely fit the unmodified model.  If you have vac-forming skills I have the resin pattern provided by Lift Here to make additional vac-form canopies 

• Like 1

Very Nice :)

I find it also interesting, that the Beaver is wearing the same RNZAF serial

as the RNZAF's first Jet, the Gloster Meteor Mk III, who was also allocated

the RNZAF Serial NZ6001, circa 1946.

Thanks for sharing your build with us

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

Right, I found some Airfix instructions on Scalemates, which has me thinking you trimmed a couple of mm from the front of the top fuselage panel. Does the vac form have the cabin skylight windows in it, not that you needed them for this one? I reckon (famous last words), I could make up a windscreen shape to either crash mold or vac a replacement screen, or borrow your resin shape to make one.  :unsure: Male or female shape?

Steve.

Yes I had to from the front ‘lip’ off the wing to accommodate the vacform (which was also trimmed down). The rear roof also had 2mm shaved off to move whole assembly aft. The resin pattern I presume is a male mould…it’s quite long as the glazed forward section on the turbo beaver is somewhat longer 

(I’ll see if I can attach some photos at some stage).  I could lend it to you if you’d like to have a go…providing you might be able to do a few spares for me 😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, follasha said:

RNZAF Antarctic Flight markings as NZ6001.

1 hour ago, LDSModeller said:

Very Nice :)

I find it also interesting, that the Beaver is wearing the same RNZAF serial

as the RNZAF's first Jet, the Gloster Meteor Mk III, who was also allocated

the RNZAF Serial NZ6001, circa 1946.

Thanks for sharing your build with us

Regards

Alan

I just stumbled across this which leads me to suspect it should more correctly be NZ6010. :unsure: It did wear 6001 for some time though so both are obviously correct for display

Steve.. The later overpaint of the tail & wing tips with dayglo orange (?) would make for some interesting difference too.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/14/2022 at 9:35 PM, stevehnz said:

The first 3 are yours Harry, I should have it sorted by then. ;) :D I'll PM you soon to discuss this further. :) I could see in the Gypsy Queen one you did on WoNZ just how low browed the kit screen is, this mode definitely improves the look. 👍

Steve.

Actually I’ve got somebody who’s managed to vacuform some more beaver windscreens if you or anyone else might be interested in acquiring one or some? Would be interesting to perhaps see a ‘show of hands’ 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2