1/72 NASA T-38 canopy question

Michael Morris

I'm looking to build a mini diorama of a NASA astronaut climbing into his/her T-38 jet with ground crew in the scene as well.  I'd like to keep the whole thing small, do I'm opting for 1/72 scale.  I'm on the look out for an example of Hasagawa's venerable old kit as a base for the display, with the company's US pilot and ground crew kit to flesh out the scene.  

I'd like the scene to show the pilot actually entering the plane, so I want to have the canopy open.  The Hasagawa model doesn't have this option.  Do here are my question - 

Does anyone make an aftermarket opening canopy for a T-38 in 1/72 scale? If not, what would be the best way to cut the clear part on the kit?

Before anyone suggests, just do the diorama in 1/48 and use the Hasagawa or Wolfpack T-38 kits - I don't have the room to display it, hence why I want to do it in 1/72.

Thanks.

Sword’s 1/72 T-38 included the entire mechanism (front and rear) in their T-38 kit. I don’t think you can get that mechanism any other way. An additional advantage of the Sword T-38 is that  it is actually a T-38. An older kit, it is thin on the ground but pops up on e-bay from time to time. 

1 hour ago, Trenton guy said:

Sword’s 1/72 T-38 included the entire mechanism (front and rear) in their T-38 kit. I don’t think you can get that mechanism any other way. An additional advantage of the Sword T-38 is that  it is actually a T-38. An older kit, it is thin on the ground but pops up on e-bay from time to time. 

Thanks.  The problem is going to be getting hold of decals.  If I go for the Sword offering, then I'll either have to try to find a set of the long out of print VM Decals offering, or get the Hasagawa kit and scavenge the decals.

I think this could end up taking a long while to get together all the relevant components.