Ju 88 C6 Night fighter ***Finished***

Walter

Hello everyone I'll  be using the Revell rebox of the ICM tooling. Converting the A4 to the C6. It would be easier to have there own boxing of the C6 but I had this in the stash so waste not want not. So there will be some scratch building to do. I also have the aims radar and nose cone to use.

20221108-085324.jpg

Edited by Walter
  • Like 6

Working on the condola, convertint it from a bomber viewport to a cannon mount,

182311.jpg

So far cannon ports made and primed. A lot of time went into this I've discovered that they used many different calibre guns for this position. Most of the scratch building is just for this part and I'm not even sure what the little bump is on the nose, If anyone knows please share.

161950.jpg

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Andwil said:

Is that a picture of the JU 88 in the RAF museum?  If so, its a R-1 not a C-6.

AW

Yes it is, I'm using it as a reference for the gondola only so I could see what modifications were made in order to mount guns. All the 88's with this gondola setup are the same except for the varying array of weapons used.

In any case the R1 was virtually identical to the C6 except for the engines.

Edited by Walter
  • Like 1

The little bump as you describe it is labelled shell ejection chute in the Aircraft in Action book 2 on the Ju 88 I think and is open at the rear. I suppose it is for the cases from the nose guns above it.

Pete

6 hours ago, Walter said:

So far cannon ports made and primed. A lot of time went into this I've discovered that they used many different calibre guns for this position. Most of the scratch building is just for this part and I'm not even sure what the little bump is on the nose, If anyone knows please share.

161950.jpg

The little bump as you describe it is labelled shell ejection chute in the Aircraft in Action book 2 on the Ju 88 I think and is open at the rear. I suppose it is for the cases from the nose guns above it. It seems to have been the full width of the gondola in early C versions but it was reduced in width from the C-4 onwards to provide clearance for any forward firing cannon mounted in the gondola apparently, as on the Revell C-6 kit.

Pete

Edited by PeterB

7 hours ago, PeterB said:

The little bump as you describe it is labelled shell ejection chute in the Aircraft in Action book 2 on the Ju 88 I think and is open at the rear. I suppose it is for the cases from the nose guns above it. It seems to have been the full width of the gondola in early C versions but it was reduced in width from the C-4 onwards to provide clearance for any forward firing cannon mounted in the gondola apparently, as on the Revell C-6 kit.

Pete

Thanks Pete, if that's the case then it was open at the rear. I can't say I noticed will have to look closer at the RAF museum plane.

2 hours ago, Walter said:

Thanks Pete, if that's the case then it was open at the rear. I can't say I noticed will have to look closer at the RAF museum plane.

From the pic you posted above that does seem to be likely!

Pete

Edited by PeterB

Canopy masked and set in place temporarily for painting. 

Only disappointment thus far is the very light detail for all the service panels on top of the fuselage, which is strange given the rest of the plane shows really crisp details. Perhaps the moulding for this sprue didn't quite work as it should. I wonder if anyone else with this kit can tell me if they have the same problem? 

142021.jpg

Edited by Walter
  • Like 3

Wings glued into place, there's no real support across the wing root so tape across the wing span will fix and set them into place.  

Entire plane got a once over of rivets along the panel lines. ICM missed the mark here there should be rivets all over this thing. 

143538.jpg

• Like 2

I had to fabricate the flare ports as this kit didn't have it. I've also set in place the gondola. 

20221128-142158.jpg

Next was the tricky installation of the engines and nacelles. I had to do a little trimming to the rear nacelle section marked in blue and the front landing gear (red) in order for this to fit. 

If anyone is building this kit I suggest not gluing the back section of the nacelles, also leave the extra engine covers off. If you leave these parts last after installing the engine I think it will be much easier to get a nice fit. Good luck!

20221128-140356.jpg

Edited by Walter
  • Like 5

I've been spending countless hours on paint scheme's for this plane and still no closer to a decision. My first option was to apply 76 wellenmuster over the top of 70/71 splinter. But I see so many models mainly that are 76 over 75.

What do you think, your help is greatly appreciated. 

For what it is worth, I always associate the wellenmuster over greens with maritime planes, such as in Norway or perhaps over the Bay of Biscay. The lighter grey scheme sounds a bit more appropriate for a night plane.

Pete

On 11/29/2022 at 8:04 PM, Walter said:

I've been spending countless hours on paint scheme's for this plane and still no closer to a decision. My first option was to apply 76 wellenmuster over the top of 70/71 splinter. But I see so many models mainly that are 76 over 75.

What do you think, your help is greatly appreciated. 

I’ve seen a reference to Ju-88s in the Mediterranean with Wellenmuster of RLM 77 over 70/71 splinter, but they were A-4 bombers.

AW

Yes Aw you are correct. I have seen it on C6's too but not on 70/71 I may be pushing the reality of the past but I'm think it's more than likely it happened especially on early versions just like @LanmiR2 version 

Edited by Walter
  • Like 1