Flightpath 1/48 Beaverette Mk.III Airfield Defence Vehicle -- FINISHED

dnl42

The wheels are mounted on a center hub that marries to the axle. Dry fitting and drilling enabled the hubs to properly seat in the cast wheels. Additional filing of the end of the hub enablef the front PE lug-nut plate to properly seat in the wheels.

Beaverette-chassis11.jpg

Here is the nearly complete chassis, still in need of some representation of the tie-rods and center link. Again, thiis is purely speculative on my part, but at least it doesn't have a big ol' hole in the middle.

Beaverette-chassis12.jpg

I used 10 mill strip for the spring leaves, with 4 leaves per spring. The longest leaves were glued to the chassis and bent over the axle. The others were pre-bent overnight and then glued in place.

Beaverette-chassis9.jpg

This is a dry-fit of the nearly complete chassis to make sure it sits well.

Beaverette-chassis13.jpg

With Tamiya's 1/48 Tilly.

Beaverette-chassis14.jpg

Almost there!!!

• Like 14

I completed a vague facsimile of steering kuckles & tie rods.

Beaverette-chassis17.jpg

I filed the edges of the hull with a 0-cut file with no attempt to smooth any gouging, hoping it will look like a weld bead. I then airbrushed all the metal parts with Mr.Metal Primer. Flightpath had etched lines in the sides to represent weld lines; I overlaid those with Archer Fine Transfers' arc weld beads. I also overlaid the punched rivets, which I had already filed smooth, with AFT's fastener heads.

Beaverette-rivets-welds.jpg

With that, it's off to the paint shop! :penguin:

• Like 13

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for you comments and likes!

With some end-of-year work efforts and prep for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day done, I was finally able to get back to work. Google showed several contemporaneous camo variations, but I decided to stay with the 'black circle/oval' pattern suggested by Flightpath. I first painted the body Mr Color Flat Black and masked off the black areas with circles and ovals cut from Fristket using my Silhouette Portrait. As the Firsket isn't that flexible, I seperately maked and airbrushed Mr. Color Dark Earth on each slab side.

Beaverette-camo1.jpg

There's some touch up to do, especially in the corners, but I'm satisfied with the result.

Beaverette-camo2.jpg

Beaverette-camo3.jpg

I'll use decals left over from a Tamiya Tilly.

Thanks for looking! :bye:

Edited by dnl42
The cold meds were stronger than I thought!
  • Like 12

Woohoo! Done! With a lightly armored body on a civilian auto chassis, it's one of the dodgier subjects in the GB.

As they didn't appear to have extensive markings, I just went with a (Tilly) serial and the bridge plate.

Beaverette-done0.jpg

Beaverette-done1.jpg

Beaverette-done2.jpg

Thank you so much for the comments and likes. :thanks:

• Like 13

• dnl42 changed the title to Flightpath 1/48 Beaverette Mk.III Airfield Defence Vehicle -- FINISHED
15 hours ago, dnl42 said:

I suppose the association is inevitable given the shapes. :rofl2:

Yes, that style of camouflage was colloquially known as Mickey Mouse Ears.

The finished job looks excellent. Very nice work. I have a question for you about the Tilly. What paint did you use for the tilt?

John.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Yes, that style of camouflage was colloquially known as Mickey Mouse Ears.

The finished job looks excellent. Very nice work. I have a question for you about the Tilly. What paint did you use for the tilt?

John.

Hm, that's right Mickey dates from the late 20s. For the tilt, I used a base of Mr.Color Sail Color (C45) with Khaki (C55) and Tan (C44) for depth and highlight.

7 hours ago, Trevor L said:

Great job. A really interesting build

2 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

A lovely build, with some interesting diversions along the way, thank-you.

Thank you all. While a little daunting at first, this was ultimately a wonderful kit. Quite an interesting vehicle and the challenge of all metal. It also helped to prepare for other Flightpath kits in the stash--a 1/48 Nissen hut and various bits to go with it.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...