Midair collision Wings over Dallas air show.

Julien

Just to repeat what everyone else has said. A tragic loss of life, loss of irreplaceable aircraft too, and I also feel for the people that had to witness it. I watched a few videos myself, and it made me feel a bit nauseous in the end. 

RIP to all those lost, and let’s hope some lessons are learned from the investigation. 

• Like 4

The armchair accident investigation helps no-one. I'm sure many of us have an intuition about what the cause was here, but there's nothing to be gained by sparring with one another over what it was or wasn't caused by when in truth none of us have full understanding of what was planned, briefed, communicated in the air or what the involved pilots had going on in their cockpits.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Horrible tragedy. My heart goes out to the families.

Someone took high resolution still shots with professional camera gear and posted the shots to a photography enthusiast site (I will not post a link - I stumbled across it looking for an update). The photos are horrific and should have been sent directly to the NTSB and FAA, not posted on the Internet for all to see. I don't understand people sometimes.

Bill

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MrB17 said:

Very tragic, I can’t and won’t look at any photos or videos. The news has shaken me to the core. 

Rest In Peace 

Humbly

Jeff

It shook me up a bit. I've seen plane crash videos before but this one was different for some reason. Saw it once, good enough.

14 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

The armchair accident investigation helps no-one. I'm sure many of us have an intuition about what the cause was here, but there's nothing to be gained by sparring with one another over what it was or wasn't caused by when in truth none of us have full understanding of what was planned, briefed, communicated in the air or what the involved pilots had going on in their cockpits.

Yes, no more arm chair investigations or trying to apportion blame,

• Like 1

Absolutely horrific, at first I thought it was a RC crash as the first vid was posted on twitter in I think it was spanish and the way the debris fell didn't look full scale, till I saw the full scale fireball, that was a real sucker punch, thoughts are with the families of the deceased and their colleagues at the Commemorative Air Force. Also a bit weird for me as I have modeled that particular b-17 and its sitting next to my bench currently and get an awful feeling every time I glance at it.....

• Like 2

I was at the airshow when it occurred.  From what I saw, the B-17s, B-24, B-25s and a Helldiver were lining up from the south the make a fly by pass along one of the runways running North/South.  There were several P-51s in the air and the King Cobra.  Fifi, the B-29 was approaching the runway to take off.  The fighters were supposed to be the "top cover" for the bombers doing the low level fly by.  This is a maneuver I have seen done at this airshow over the many years I have attended (the first being in the 60s when it was based in Harlingen, Texas with just a P-38 and a Bearcat.)  As the B-17 was approaching the runway for the fly by and in a turn, the P-63 was also turning to line up with the runway.  The B-17 of course has a wider turn radius.  The P-63 just didn't take into account the wider turn radius and its turn intersected the B-17 mid-turn cutting it in half.  Part of the B-17 hit very close to the edge of the north/south runway and it must have had the fuel tanks as the flames were quite high and very hard for the two airport firetrucks to extinguish.  The airshow crowd was told to leave the airport immediately, but no explanation of what happened was given.  Several of the crowd though it was the pyro-technics going off prematurely.  Most of the crowds focus was on the aircraft (P-51s) flying directly in front of the runway heading south to begin their turn to line up for the fly by.  That and most of the attention was watching FIfi (B-29) start up her engines and begin taxing out to take off in front of the crowd.

Local news reports have stated 6 fatalities, 5 crew members in the B-17 and the pilot of the P-63.  

I am devastated as I have watched the Confederate/Commemorative Air Force grow up since it started as a kid living in the RIo Grande Valley in Texas.  I doubt they will ever be able to use this airport again or possibly any airport in Dallas County.  The airport used has housing around it and major highways.  Some wreckage fell on Highway 67 and shut it down.  The residents around the airport have already expressed their concern this could have occurred over their houses. 

All around, just a bad situation.  Thank you to everyone who has had the members of the CAF and people attending the airshow in their prayers and well wishes.  It is one of the things I like about this forum, its humanity and compassion.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 3

20 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Horrible tragedy. My heart goes out to the families.

Someone took high resolution still shots with professional camera gear and posted the shots to a photography enthusiast site (I will not post a link - I stumbled across it looking for an update). The photos are horrific and should have been sent directly to the NTSB and FAA, not posted on the Internet for all to see. I don't understand people sometimes.

Bill

At least those photos exist so that investigators can have a look...

Posting them elsewhere does not help or harm those directly involved anylonger...

Just my 2cts....

6 minutes ago, exdraken said:

At least those photos exist so that investigators can have a look...

Posting them elsewhere does not help or harm those directly involved anylonger...

Just my 2cts....

Unfortunately the videos of the crash have been already posted ad nauseum on social media - the photos being available will no doubt start appearing regularly as well and these will inevitably appear on feeds of those directly connected to the incident since most are going to be aviation enthusiasts and social media algorithms are very effective but completely heartless.

For family and friends of those killed and to those who witnessed it in person, to be exposed to these images over and over again is just horrific and absolutely not without harm to their mental wellbeing in this period of shock and grief.

Pictures should have been provided to investigators directly, not put online for some sick kudos.

• Like 3

I said no videos or armchair experts in this thread and I meant it. 

Next one posted get a holiday until after Christmas

Have some respect for those who died and leave the reasons to the accident enquiry. 

Julien

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

https://t.co/X88rY61rfK

Read the interim report.

There were no altitude deconflictions briefed before the flight or while the airplanes were in the air. When the fighter formation approached the flying display area, the P-63F was in a left bank and it collided with the left side of the B-17G, just aft of the wing section.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1