Kits World Decals 1/48 3D Decals BUCCANEER INSTRUMENT PANELS

ReccePhreak

I know these decals were designed for the new tool Airfix Buccaneer, but does anybody know if they will fit/work in the old Airfix Buccaneer kit?

The new tool kit is really nice, but on my retirement income, I just can't justify tossing the old one in the bin and buying the new kit. :shocked:

Larry

I can't answer your question directly, but I might take a look at the Kitsworld decals and compare them to the plastic in the kit you have in hand.  My guess is that they would probably work, even if it takes a bit of trimming here and there.  I'm getting the new Buccaneer myself, and need/want a cockpit set myself.  I see that Eduard Space has a 3D printed set as well, for the new kit that you may consider.   

Edited by Curt B

3 hours ago, Selwyn said:

I got the Kitsworld 3D decals for the Airfix  Vampire. They were the first 3D decals I had ever purchased, and will also be the last!

Selwyn

Thanks, Selwyn.

It's always preferred to have the opinion of an actual customer/user of a product. Can you elaborate why they will be the last you buy? The only Kits World 3D stuff I currently have (But haven't tried yet), are some 3D printed seatbelts.

Larry

Edited by ReccePhreak
More info

9 hours ago, Curt B said:

I can't answer your question directly, but I might take a look at the Kitsworld decals and compare them to the plastic in the kit you have in hand.  My guess is that they would probably work, even if it takes a bit of trimming here and there.  I'm getting the new Buccaneer myself, and need/ant a cockpit set myself.  I see that Eduard Space has a 3D printed sett as well, for the new kit that you may consider.   

Thanks for your suggestion Curt. I think I will stick with the kit's instrument panel decals, even though they're not super detailed. I am definitely not going to spend ~$100 for the new kit, as nice as it is. With my age, and the number of kits in my stash, I just can't justify the expense.

Larry

3 hours ago, Selwyn said:

I got the Kitsworld 3D decals for the Airfix  Vampire. They were the first 3D decals I had ever purchased, and will also be the last!

Selwyn

I'd be interested also.  Is your comment regarding the Kitsworld stuff specifically, or 3D printed decals in general?  I've used many Eduard Space, Quinta and Red Fox decals and I find them amazing!  

33 minutes ago, ReccePhreak said:

Thanks for your suggestion Curt. I think I will stick with the kit's instrument panel decals, even though they're not super detailed. I am definitely not going to spend ~$100 for the new kit, as nice as it is. With my age, and the number of kits in my stash, I just can't justify the expense.

Larry

Hi Larry.  Understood.  I'm recently retired myself (January) and I agree that I have at least 20X the number of kits I could ever hope to finish before I head off to the big model making room in the sky! 🙂  Still, doesn't stop me from wanting and getting more kits.  There will be some happy folks receiving my stash, or pieces thereof, after I'm gone.

Edited by Curt B
  • Like 1

I’ve used KW decals a couple of times, while not commenting on accuracy, the decals themselves were well behaved. Likewise I have used their 3D printed decal seatbelts (Quinta hasn’t done much in 1/72 for kits in which I’m interested) and those were ‘ok’. I liked Eduard’s’ Super Fabric better. I do have some of the KW 3D instrument panel sets but have not yet used any of those. 

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Curt B said:

Hi Larry.  Understood.  I'm recently retired myself (January) and I agree that I have at least 20X the number of kits I could ever hope to finish before I head off to the big model making room in the sky! 🙂  Still, doesn't stop me from wanting and getting more kits.  There will be some happy folks receiving my stash, or pieces thereof, after I'm gone.

Hi Curt,

ONLY 20X the number of kits you could ever finish? :rofl:

I've been retired (medically) for a number of years, and at my snail's pace of building, I would need to live another 100 years to complete my stash. :blink:

But I still "resemble" your comments. I "try" to not buy anymore kits, but the kit manufacturers keep tempting me with neat new products. :tasty:

Larry

Edited by ReccePhreak

3 hours ago, ReccePhreak said:

Thanks, Selwyn.

It's always preferred to have the opinion of an actual customer/user of a product. Can you elaborate why they will be the last you buy? The only Kits World 3D stuff I currently have (But haven't tried yet), are some 3D printed seatbelts.

Larry

They wouldn't stay where they were placed, initially and after a lot of fiddling and when they were finally on they didn't look good to my eyes. Before they dried so I could varnish them over to seal them they all fell off.

Selwyn

28 minutes ago, Selwyn said:

They wouldn't stay where they were placed, initially and after a lot of fiddling and when they were finally on they didn't look good to my eyes. Before they dried so I could varnish them over to seal them they all fell off.

Selwyn

WOW!! Definitely not a very "quality" product!

Thanks for that info! :thumbsup:

Larry

1 hour ago, Selwyn said:

Selwyn

I've only used 3D printed decals twice (Quinta and Red Fox) so far, but I used CA to fix them in place.  I don't think the decal adhesive is really intended to glue them down, but mainly to release them from the backing sheet.  One of them had a bunch of seat belts and what worked for me was to get them to release from the backing paper and then wipe them dry before using CA to glue them in place.  For panels I went ahead an used the decal adhesive to tack them in place and tried wicking some CA around the edges after they were dry.

My primary complaint is the color of the sets I've used have been way off.  FS36231 is a lot darker than what Quinta used.  It looked closer to FS36375 I tried to paint over it where I could and blend it in with washes. The Red Fox one was low resolution compared to the Quinta.  You cold easily see the dot matrix pattern used to print the colors.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Steve McArthur said:

I've only used 3D printed decals twice (Quinta and Red Fox) so far, but I used CA to fix them in place.  I don't think the decal adhesive is really intended to glue them down, but mainly to release them from the backing sheet.  One of them had a bunch of seat belts and what worked for me was to get them to release from the backing paper and then wipe them dry before using CA to glue them in place.  For panels I went ahead an used the decal adhesive to tack them in place and tried wicking some CA around the edges after they were dry.

My primary complaint is the color of the sets I've used have been way off.  FS36231 is a lot darker than what Quinta used.  It looked closer to FS36375 I tried to paint over it where I could and blend it in with washes. The Red Fox one was low resolution compared to the Quinta.  You cold easily see the dot matrix pattern used to print the colors.

I would argue if you have to use CA to glue it down, its not a decal.

Selwyn

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Selwyn said:

I would argue if you have to use CA to glue it down, its not a decal.

Selwyn

How many different products do you have in your inventory to deal with conventional decals?  Using CA for these doesn't really seem like a stretch to me.

I'd suggest that you quit thinking of them as decals.  They're not really, but the manufacturing process is probably similar to most decals. They are multicolored vinyl 3D printed parts. After I tried fixing the first one in place I realized the decal paper and glue was more of a shipping convenience and decided to assemble them more like pre-painted photo-etch.

44 minutes ago, Steve McArthur said:

How many different products do you have in your inventory to deal with conventional decals?  Using CA for these doesn't really seem like a stretch to me.

I'd suggest that you quit thinking of them as decals.  They're not really, but the manufacturing process is probably similar to most decals. They are multicolored vinyl 3D printed parts. After I tried fixing the first one in place I realized the decal paper and glue was more of a shipping convenience and decided to assemble them more like pre-painted photo-etch.

Surprisingly enough I have no products in my inventory to deal with conventional decals, no setting solutions or whatever. never had a use for them.

I'd suggest that you quit thinking of them as decals?  Why? They are marketed as 3D decals. Ergo they must be decals! Or should we invoke the trade descriptions act 1968?😉

Selwyn

• Like 4

I'd definitely agree about not thinking of them as decals, I've used a few Quinta sets and they also recommend using PVA glue or similar which I was surprised at. I got away with using it on some their 'parts' as the adhesive is pretty good.

I've used a Kits World set now too and to be honest it's like comparing the Revell Strike Eagle to the GWH one. The quality is just not as good with the Kits World items, the parts don't fit the kit cockpit as well and there a lot softer both detail wise and product wise. I will avoid Kits World 3D cockpit sets in the future but will definitely buy other manufacturers.

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Muzz said:

I'd definitely agree about not thinking of them as decals, I've used a few Quinta sets and they also recommend using PVA glue or similar which I was surprised at. I got away with using it on some their 'parts' as the adhesive is pretty good.

I've used a Kits World set now too and to be honest it's like comparing the Revell Strike Eagle to the GWH one. The quality is just not as good with the Kits World items, the parts don't fit the kit cockpit as well and there a lot softer both detail wise and product wise. I will avoid Kits World 3D cockpit sets in the future but will definitely buy other manufacturers.

Thank you for your User "Review". I will definitely not be buying them.

I agree with Selwyn, if they are marketed as DECALS, then that is just false advertising. 

Larry

1 hour ago, ReccePhreak said:

Thank you for your User "Review". I will definitely not be buying them.

I agree with Selwyn, if they are marketed as DECALS, then that is just false advertising. 

Larry

I believe Eduard are releasing a set for the Bucc this month.👍

I’m not sure about false advertising, they do need to be soaked in water like traditional decals to release from the backing, Quinta also needs a water soaking to release. Perhaps it is not so much false advertising as it is a case of not yet finding an appropriate name for that type of product?

• Like 1

On 11/13/2022 at 10:57 AM, Selwyn said:

Kitsworld 3D decals for the Airfix  Vampire. They were the first 3D decals I had ever purchased, and will also be the last!

Are they that bad? The photos I've seen looks pretty good. 

Cheers. 

Chris. 

20 hours ago, Muzz said:

I believe Eduard are releasing a set for the Bucc this month.👍

If they are designed for the new Airfix 1/48 Buccaneer, then my original concern is still valid - Will they fit the old tool Buccaneer?

Larry