1/144 AModel An-71 Madcap

Hi everybody!

Upcoming project will be another unusual soviet russian object, but this time a completely non-fictional one that actually flew.

y4mjyMigmawwmUQZPpshAl9edx9NWUKITTPvWYql

It's an Antonow An-71 AEW/tracking system based on a highly modified airframe of the Antonow An-72 series. This is in the box:

6 sprues of light grey styrene, 1 sprue with clear parts, 1 small PE fret, decals and instructions booklet.

y4mGf63zpxXzxo7fQOUfUBryM3EvwOm6VSsSA1iq

y4m6Bzd1EndDMmWLTG6ntYobPuxa2zxhkU3-R9Tb

y4mhFpJm7Q3DRbN7TulR8gvkunuEX2y6nAxQajx6

y4mSgmn03gng6MfiPOlBxkx84sQw26Qgp5l3Omo4

y4mz9Nfu32dRn-UTA09nABbkRyBSUn7s9HcfvKng

The eagle-eyed among you might already have spotted a tiny little amount of flash here and there. I think you know AModel kits, so I don't think that I have to tell you that this won't be an easy going build at all. This will be a slow, very slow build, I'm afraid. Well...I must be masochistic.

The build will start soon, first I have to sort some real life things.

Any thoughts, comments, encouragements will be very welcome!

Thanks for looking.

• Like 9

Right, the building fun started today with the assembly of the cockpit as per instructions.

All parts had to be cleaned from flash and some from chunky plastic like the crew seat shown below.

y4m026IVwmYyzoDlhVx6lLkjtI6Y7C6HuB1F3bYX

It took some time until all the cockpit parts were prepared for painting and assembly.

y4mWqHT7sH1Ux1_a7uspC1TCM1qVP9Vtk8gTsPXp

Cockpit is done. Now my poor old eyes need a break.

y4mUeVpTmXFWYEI9fS7ro5XZIkAKn-niWCLaAtsV

That's it for today, thanks for looking!

• Like 8

Hi, I had some progress with this build recently.

Following the instructions I assembled the main wheel wells, which go inside a separate part that forms the belly of the plane.

y4mGXKnPjilM5GgSg8LWUB7oevqEiS4NkDgWKx8g

I painted the insides light grey, but this is completely useless, because it won't be visible at all.

y4mkB5EZmJ7atC58hFRhbYTJsL8o6zH6i3IJpFYM

Next step in the instruction was the assembly of the auxiliary engine.

y4mntjbRVwIkT0-_RSNvoKIpc4zVmlhL_SXpi4-Q

You can see how the parts fit - the jetpipe had to be sanded down considerably and the hole between the two parts had to be widened to get all parts together.

y4mquzjfwqJ7QaEFW-y6QzvHlql3Uf53NzaBNC1C

It'll need some filler, as you can see, but no problem at all.

Next steps will be preparing of the fuselage halves,  glueing the cockpit into the left half, putting some weight inside the halves and then buttoning up the fuselage. This will be funny, I guess.

• Like 11

11 hours ago, flashlight said:

It'll need some filler, as you can see, but no problem at all.

Having built some A Model kits in the past, you will need a lot of filler. They do some interesting subjects, but the kits can be a little crude in places.

• Like 1

Now there's a subject that cries out...nay, positively shrieks......to be scaled up to 1/48.......or, at a pinch. 1/72 !

What a thoroughly attractive little aircraft of which I was unaware, so I'll be following your build, Nick @flashlight with interest. Perhaps, on completion, you will give us some idea of its size, as against a pot of paint or something.

Rog 

@John_W Hi Jon, thank you very much for your comment. I am quite aware of what I have to expect, but I like to build such kits of objects the main producers won't give us. I don't mind the many long filling and sanding sessions as long as the result seems to be worth it. Let's see if I'll tackle this kit.

@roginoz Hi Rog, nice to have you along! I'll be pleased to give you an idea of the model's size at the next occasion!

• Like 1

Okay, back to business. Today I put some filler onto the gaps in the auxiliary engine and while it settled, I cut the fuselage halves off the sprue and cleaned them from the partly big and chunky sprue gates and some flash, now they look clean and tidy.

y4mAU0KmKcEdQjEzXYKX7o_33pMrMrGicMifUMPe

A dry fit showed, that the fit is not so bad.

y4m4nDmVSDZPyO0ToeoE56ZWoXsRYjV5PL0md0K6

y4m3t25Wn6f1YP1paChswafrfJxGSLNGvjDgscus

Could be worse!

Now I did a dry fit of the belly.

y4mTmg_r5J6B8OUJNqrwH79nkVgXvuPEyEKGBAl7

Hmm...

y4mTVZtF_11I0JZUjBdXEHucx-TKvMyYJ1cncGen

Hmm...

Now the auxiliary engine, which was already filled but still not sanded.

y4mNfSquioybtHAaKltlEwkjJmFOJBq1k0EytGYn

Hmm...

We'll see how the components really fit when the fuselage halves will be joined, but I guess a little bit of trimming and sanding will be necessary...

Next I glued the cockpit into the left fuselage half (it's the only one with locating tabs for the cockpit) and after it dried up I filled both sides with weight, I hope it's enough.

y4mS54dndF1RJVVx0No0yQ45QUAQ7ke_pGm8YX8O

Joining the fuselage halves and trying to get the belly and the auxiliary engine to fit will be the main task tomorrow.

Thanks for looking!

• Like 7

Hi everybody,

today I glued the fuselage halves together. There are no locating pins, which is okay with me. I usually tape the halves together at the rear end and start glueing from the nose sectionwise back to the rear and, always taking care that everything lines up nicely. Now we have a fuselage - with a few big holes.

y4m_akajePg0GNLmtyUJZ6bMPeYbgklo4HBbF7N2

y4mPyqKl_We7OQi-TFvtCBUCcNqFXlPQ566m17Sf

It's quite okay, I think. I couldn't resist to check the fit of the belly and the auxiliary engine again.

y4m5F4lLDWaJbdiVDdxObF_cdLxvvdZKiZwWwd-Z

y4m0t_SCmY5Yqz1mngrsAiEyeOuSEqGBompQ_aob

y4mBLlBUYr9Us_w4S-2FWJnCrkv4rI_PmUI-G9g1

Well, not much better. This will be up to my good friends file, filler and sanding paper!

While the fuselage was put aside to dry I assembled the vertical stabilizer and the radar disc.

y4m-hGSPnKNQexmlN5nrJoLt2lahRCFRAwDa_7gd

y4mhSp-2yrRlhanIHMKhPyQxo6WsBYnftIeDBl_z

y4mdds7QmWmNrcmNd2YcLVQx2diLxcSr50ZZHH6e

No problem at all.

This pic is for you, @roginoz rog, not sure if my science fiction thingy is a suitable comparison, but it might give you a slight impression of the dimensions of this kit.

y4moxuo4DahffD_2-6z08nLHGgoeZkwsSzjhbCM4

That's all for now, thanks for looking!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

@roginoz You are welcome, Rog! When I work on the wings I will give you another comparison shot.

Right, today I fought with the belly part. I had a long session of filing/dry fitting/filing/dry fitting...but after quite a long time I've got it and the part fitted more or less - there were some quite big gaps, but what can you do. After this I glued the auxiliary engine on in a way that the step between the part and the fuselage was minimal, which caused a big gap on the left side. Shame on me that I forgot to take pictures of this status.

After the glue had dried I put on the filler everywhere to cover all seamlines and gaps.

y4m1ibW80077yrJP2lMPwIKWH0XNvFExhAYE2FR8

y4msNlwgGW7eihwG7YH8gxZ-fb40tBpmtdnYEw1t

y4mfqMrr1aQ6dNyvWJeFt6hYwvhIKScfFfJpOQDX

y4mEtj4cwV_UQbDEIGYK4XkhhnXxiahQxnZvjiYh

The fuselage was then set aside and I started working on the engines. These are the parts that build up one of them.

y4msz2xKn96bo2MQkY39Q_FCizmucDTrRQQo7OvZ

From right to left - the exhaust cone has to go inside the combustion chamber (?), the small ring hast to go to the front end of the chamber. Into this small ring the compressor wheel has to slide faceing backwards, the cylindrical part has to be placed between the two compressor wheels and all this has to be placed into the bigger ring. The whole arrangement has to be glued inside the nacelle with the big ring at the visible rim of the nacelle.

Nice theory.

Now who would have guessed that? :rofl:

y4mXaC7E0hM9pfxowiEwLmcvv8rP51PA0yqPF4Yv

No problem at all, out came the big old rough file and after a few minutes of brutal treatment the ring showed signs of obedience to my will. Before (left)/after (right), I think the difference is obvious. Sometimes I wonder how kit designers do their maths or do they just estimate the dimensions of some parts?

y4m1r8wMpC9_b1cZoeBWGrTB3S4gZdPBqWq50eF6

Now that looks much better!

y4mv0UkKC7rV33J-iMjQr2MJIf0QR1yQWdDudpC_

I treated the part of the second engine the same way, so the engines can be assembled tomorrow.

That's all for today, thanks for looking!

• Like 6

It's looking good Nick......

I scratchbuilt one many years ago in 1/72 scale using the Roden (?) An-72 as a basis.

Your posts reminded me that I took a load of walkround photos of the 2nd prototype An-71 at Zhulany - during a river cruise to the Ukraine in 2018.

I have just uploaded the photos here.......  http://www.flankers-site.co.uk/an-71.htm

(Scroll down to 'My Walkround Photos' to see them)

spacer.png

I hope they are useful to you.

Happy Modelling

Ken

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Hi Ken @Flankerman , thank you very much, this is extremely useful for the build! What is most interesting for me, is the painting of the radar disc, I'm not sure if the instructions are correct as they call for dark grey overall. Your pics are a great source of information!

Edit: As far as I know there was a An-72 by Toko, but I'm not sure either.

Hi everybody,

today I treated the fuselage with sanding paper, the result is not too bad, it still needs some filler here and there.

y4mX4o16sBqf_BezKb8e0ZHPGjDkiyopd6aN35Cd

y4mNH9z5PLitXxPuD1ukYmIBdE6bQ8xfaORs2Bj5

y4mq1YfOoNs5lQFf6eWAMgX04sLBU8lFwmWiq7gn

y4m2ImTaruGbakKEj5heiYrXlt-fhrmdtbNB9gy6

After the slight exhausting sanding session I went on with the engines and assembled all the inner parts. After the glue has sattled I did some detail painting.

y4m-pfIy3FxB6j2_XYYlRd3Z8ahbCO9kON66n3xP

Then it was closing time!

y4m4U7ncxs_VD2yrXAhnR0jHgiFcV9XUvnJJhtWE

y4mF6cnCbx2shNnveoxQGv044ZcebtjOmULMJVKh

And yes, they will need a bit of filler too. This will be done tomorrow!

• Like 6

Hi everybody,

not very much done today. I put some filler onto the engine nacelles. After that I started the wings, which went together without problems. Before I glued the upper and lower parts together I had to do a bit of a surgery to the upper part to make it fit onto the fuselage. This was no problem at all. The lower parts had a very good fit, but then again I had to sand them down a bit to make the wing fit onto the fuselage.

y4m8WpOxUZ1_kKB1Ut3ZUfhNwf9LjPX6uLOCCNJT

Dryfit

y4mSgkRs-41Jk0U2sXNmDHycRb7oRCmSEUCv68J9

and attached.

y4m9I5uUzfFceB6wCwp1zkCfQ1TPUQfbrcWr5dsv

y4mAtPXyK-sqQ83hO18ZGDJKO6nEuR7pstA4VoH7

After everything had dried up I sanded the engine nacelles, which still need some filler, but that's no problem at all. Then I did some dryfit - slowly it starts to look like a plane!

y4mkQgdGlfyXjtDT3VM7y9Y5Ayk3fK6UiFNm6NJc

The nacelles need some surgery to fit properly, this will be done tomorrow. Also the inlet of the auxiliary engine will be closed and I will prepare the horizontal stabilizers. We'll see what else I will achieve tomorrow.

A comparison shot now with wings, for Rog @roginoz:

y4mwS5RxnD215kZwq4-HFeNYg4sZ2hN4R5AzusUm

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Hi all,

today I attached four fairings, that I nearly forgot about, to the underside of the wings.

y4mDSsVmqGwaOqIih39cuAMDJp9u8PU8vC1dqeG5

You can see how astonishingly nice the wings fit at the fuselage joint.

y4mrGu0x8h1jOhXFQmvx_8T5EaMWsPidZzMW3LHt

First I closed the intake of the auxiliary engine on the top of the fuselage. Then I started to treat the engines and the empennage to have them fit properly - but it's still a long way to go. A dry fit of all the components shows that the engines' fit is already better, but the fit of the empennage is still rather awful.

y4mu4opPvSd5N94mGCZ9DBaTSLxFtuQvetKfHt-v

y4m8JMQu7PvDfi3P7PcUoTpmZhYTUTuAdU9SKycu

y4mdxzjax5thqPVOXTOn7tfybgwtdKWnKB7g5Fxu

Still a lot to do until she'll be ready for some paint!

Thanks for looking!

• Like 5

Hi all,

the empennage is more or less done now. Might need an additional bit of dissolved putty, but all in all it's done.

Vertical fin is butt joined, it was a bit difficult to get it really vertical.

y4m6X1hWJRr25qvP_mHOTvFPPi3W9E4MoKzjtHur

The dihedral of the horizontal stabilizers is according to drawings found in the internet, since the instructions only show a three side view but no front view.

y4m3FN4cUNQ_FWorIMuuxUtv0qLEAqZ8UY-zmDKW

y4mpuVEydy86SsWtQZNOJLZD1Mv7Is5F0G9gCAHO

Next will be the wings. Thanks for looking!

• Like 5

Dear all,

now the wings are glued to the fuselage and everything is filled and sanded and looking quite good now.

y4mA0BHuli-G-dTNTbhjbv-i4yxmx38F95kK2Q_n

y4mbhPX2w2ZpT6pFRZCmtEgS74hmoB6Cx_LLzLo7

After this there was no way out and I had to deal with the part I feared the most:

y4mDohqnweJ5xrmTTNOUFyvdM7SQf73_0Zx84WCa

What a pleasant surprise to see that it fits nearly perfectly!

y4m7cj-Lad4zXJXSgaUhkSK9qw4_7AyVTu5z5C8h

Quite unusual for a short run kit like this. Yesterday the paint masks arrived, I decided to put them on before I attach the canopy to the fuselage, I felt that they would be easier to handle this way.

y4mbhRPLgnn8i7jto_4emzApLDLp40Jgtk-nti37

y4myB632LU-Nuw8M8rlPUyLGmZKjb6uicUwzQDsH

Then I attached the canopy with the help of Krystal Klear.

y4mg_A7mlQMLP7M5G66QFqGol9DU9krpNbbasbfB

y4mkXpGzR4iTPsHz3AVG3SA9LOJMt4Lq_so0tqGX

Some very careful filling is needed. After finishing the canopy I'll have to treat the engines to make them fit onto the wings.

That's it for now, thanks for looking!

• Like 6

Hi all,

today I spent some time working on the engine nacelles - the usual procedure of sanding and dry fitting. The fit of the nacelles is now okay, at least for me. That'll do.

y4m3_yAJLRYwvtfAp9YkXySobt2uucmmU3kpbPHH

y4mWYJ4HFc9-vzs2Yl2zPeD_iC7eW7jyA3JSKUAD

y4mYMKTAvUKUtGDWEe3S-sHiUy18gzZ3Z5kwiuUO

They are not glued on yet, I'll do that later on, the nacelles still need a little bit of sanding and two PE parts have to be attached to each.

y4mxsSM5u5T96KdrN0KxhmbIFJU6K_IMrvq7agRy

y4mGtJdVjQ1P8LidEeFAazPE00niMf430h1GXQRJ

That's it for today, thanks for looking.

• Like 5

@John_W, @stevehnz Thank you so much for your kind and encourageing words, gents!

Yes, Steve, if you don't mind spending lots of time filling and sanding and slow progress during the build, it is highly recommended. Bringing such a kit across the finish line is rewarding and gives you a model in your showcase that is rarely seen elsewhere!

• Like 1