Next Revell 1:24 Land Rover release!

Paul H

The next version is a Series 3 109 Commercial (Revell's words - not sure if that is the correct term?).  Aside from the obvious body style change, it also now has the bonnet mounted spare (presumably with the matching recessed bonnet) which the original release lacked.

From here: https://www-kitreviewsonline-de.translate.goog/revell-neuheiten-januar-bis-juni-2023/?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp

(scroll down the page)

I must admit that I wasn't expecting this version, as a couple of the Italeri 109s are extremely similar - in fact one still currently available as a fire truck variant, as opposed to something that wasn't in direct competition.   I must confess also that I was hoping for either an in-grille headlight Series 2a or an '88!!

The sprue layout of the original release suggests the possibility that Revell have plans for a four cylinder version - wondering if that may be included with this release?

Other notable re-releases are the VW Corrado, and the 1:8 E Type FHC.

Edited by Paul H
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Marco F. said:

no more extrem high prices for the old boxes  same with 1/8 Jaguar.  

There is a german store on ebay that have been selling brand new 1/8 E-Type kits of the last reissue (2014) for years. I don't think this new reissue will be much cheaper if any at all. I bought one from them back in 2014.

As for the Corrado I totally agree, they usually go for crazy money. Anyone know why? What is special about it?

Edited by dbostream

33 minutes ago, dbostream said:

As for the Corrado I totally agree, they usually go for crazy money. Anyone know why? What is special about it?

Guessing that it's because the real thing was popular with VW fans, and once the kit was out of production, rarity pushed up prices as is often happens.  With the subject matter in this case being one that appealed beyond just model builders, that would drive them up even more. 

(Then there's the VW scene tax too... 😉)

• Like 3

The Corrado has probably also benefited from the "30-year rule" where people who wanted one when they were new, or admired them but couldn't afford the real thing or couldn't get the kit at the time, would quite like one now.  I fall into the category of "would quite like the kit now, because I remember when the car was new" and I think it would go nicely next to my Honda Prelude models.

• Like 2

The Coraddo is probably one of the best handling car of its era and still can hold its own.

would love a 1:1 but the price of a good one is skyrocketing now.

I’ll stash a few 1:24 though, and I still have my Zender edition nice and safe 😎

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, Noel Smith said:

Getting back to the Land Rover kits.

C1 Models do a number of conversion parts for the Revell Land Rover as do Motobitz.

I think Motobitz do two types of recessed Land Rover bonnets.

Yep,  you're right, we had a topic, but we had also a nice conversation 😇🤔🤗

I can't judge the C1 models for the Land Rover, but I can tell you that each part I bought from C1, so far, was great!!

I got the Motobitz bonnet,and yes, again it's a great update for this kit. 

Marco F 

The original Revell Land Rover had high suspension and the instructions for the gearbox levers were incorrect (all three gearbox levers are in the same place for both left and right hand drive). I believe the windows for the side panels of the 'commercial' in Revells picture were an export option too, not a standard UK fit; as with the Italeri model. I assume they will have modelled the rear bulkhead this time, which would make conversion to an 88" a possibility without resorting to the Motobitz parts, but the Italeri kit is easily converted anyway. Having built both the Italeri and Revell kits I still prefer the old Italeri, though it lacks an engine and it can be a bit fiddly around the windscreen.

With Revell's relatively new Land Rover kit it is unlikely that the old Monogram kit will be resurrected under their watch, but it would be nice if it was to add another kit to the LR releases.

Not sure if it is 1/24th of 1/25th scale as it was released such a long time ago. Maybe someone who has it in their stash could enlighten us!

The Spectre inspired transkits from C1 on their website look awesome. The engine would need to be changed for one of those. Cannot understand why C1 did not include one, but there are 3D printed ones around from other sources. Maybe C1 plan to do one as a separate kit for other Land Rovers etc.

Incidentally their C1 Polishing Powder is brilliant for chrome on other models, and is more robust when handled after buffing than sprayed on chrome finishes.

Edited by Noel Smith
  • Like 1

Side windows in a commercial used to render the UK owner liable for VAT or Purchase Tax (and car tax?).  In the day PT and CT were extremely high, hence my parents weren’t unusual in their only new car being a Thames van, otherwise it was second hand market until a company car came dad's way.

I think you still have to sort out the VAT when an LR is sold from commercial use to private ownership.

• Like 2

On 02/12/2022 at 08:40, Noel Smith said:

With Revell's relatively new Land Rover kit it is unlikely that the old Monogram kit will be resurrected under their watch, but it would be nice if it was to add another kit to the LR releases.

Not sure if it is 1/24th of 1/25th scale as it was released such a long time ago. Maybe someone who has it in their stash could enlighten us!

The Monogram kit was 1/24.  I gather that any Revell-Monogram tooling that's been run in China is now under the "new" Revell in Germany.   Whatever remained in the US was acquired by Atlantis, so there is an outside chance they have it.  AFAIK it was only issued once, so if the moulds still exist, they're more likely to be with Atlantis.