Airfix Nimrod

A very nice build of the Nimrod. Pictured next to the Tornado and Jaguar, it shows how well 1/72nd scale works across a range of aircraft sizes. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Good job, looks just right and the base is inspired, looks so right and can see it'd be easy to fool us that it's a real situation but as you say photography of it isn't the easiest!

• Thanks 1

Fantastic Nimrod! Coincidentally I picked up this kit at Telford yesterday on impulse and it’s currently getting some attention on the workbench. You’ve set the bar high and I’d be happy to get anywhere near that finish. Any issues with the build itself?

• Thanks 1

On 11/12/2022 at 7:41 AM, canberraman said:

A splendid mighty hunter. A great build and nice finish without looking over weathered.

Mark

Certainly agree!

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Plasticbasher said:

Fantastic Nimrod! Coincidentally I picked up this kit at Telford yesterday on impulse and it’s currently getting some attention on the workbench. You’ve set the bar high and I’d be happy to get anywhere near that finish. Any issues with the build itself?

It's a fairly straight forward build and the fit of parts is generally good. There are many inaccuracies with the kit and there is a lot of aftermarket things to put them right so knock your socks off.

For me I replaced the canopy with the Ali cat resin Job this is lovely and also gives you a nice solution to the slightly raised area around it, really wish I could find another. I moved the nose light up, drilled out where the sonabouy tubes are and added plastic tube. and drilled out the small grill between the engine intake and replaced it with plastic card.

I opted to close the weapons bay as the kits is poorly detailed rather than spend more money on a replacement or spend time on detailing it.

• Like 1