“Spit and Polish” – Spitfire Mk. Vb, Jan Zumbach, No. 303 (Kościuszko) Squadron, RAF

TonyOD

I usually use a flat brush to apply the transfers, it’s easier to unwrap them if they curl. On my recent Spitfire I nearly lost one of the serials when I was too lazy to go and fetch my usual brush and it wrapped itself round the one I used. 

John

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

I usually use a flat brush to apply the transfers, it’s easier to unwrap them if they curl.

That's a useful tip, thanks. 

I've had a message from the seller that it'll be a month or so before I see these decals, which means that apart from a some of the sticky-onny bits that I need to finish off (prop, antenna mast, exhausts and the small matter of that custom rear view mirror) this one's going to be put aside for a while. Bit frustrating as I'm enjoying how it's coming together. I'm in the early stages of a Mk IIa, and I can have at the two Seafires I have lined up for the Salty Sea Dog GB in a few days, so I have plenty to keep me busy!

• Like 2

Boy, that's too bad about the decals, but we've all been there, right?  On my Garth Jared Spitfire build, I had the port side code "GJ" stick to the model with an iron grip before I could move it into final position and a half hour of trying everything I could think of didn't get it to budge or move.  I gave up and continued decalling only to smudge my finger on the other "GJ" and destroy it.  It took about a month and 2 different sets of replacement decals to find a "GJ" that was close, but not exactly the same. So I can definitely empathize with you!

• Sad 1

Sunday morning shift. Just went Googling to verify the order of the codes on the starboard fuselage and came across this wonderful pic of Zumbach (furthest from camera) and his countrymen in flight. I think that's one of his earlier Vb's though, not EN951.

spacer.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

Glad your decals arrived and looking forward to seeing your Spitfire progress.

Thanks Chris. Apart from the outboard m/g covers, I’ve got the remaining decals in without any further dramas. The other side of a coat of Kleer I’ll be summoning the nerve to have a crack at some oil and/or pastel weathering.

spacer.png

• Like 3

Yes, looking excellent Tony,

If the weathering is worrying you then I would suggest oils as if they go horribly wibbly you can just wipe everything clean.

But because of their nature you can keep playing with them when they're applied until you get the look you want.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AliGauld said:

If the weathering is worrying you then I would suggest oils as if they go horribly wibbly you can just wipe everything clean.

Sounds like a plan. I've invested in a few tubes of decent quality oil paints for this purpose. We'll see how it goes!

• Like 1

With three separate builds going on and hosting duties for the Salty Sea Dog GB, I'm only dipping in and out of this one from time to time. Last night I gave the panel lines an enamel wash but during some over-vigorous removal of excess with a cotton bud I managed to damage one of the squadron codes. I have some spares, fortunately, so will be able to patch it up. Nice thumb print below the cockpit too.

spacer.png

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, opus999 said:

The close-up photos show such unbelievable wear...

This one looked like it took a beating all right. Hoping to get some oil wash weathering on in the next few days.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorted out that damaged squadron code, applied a light oil wash and put a flat coat on. I’ll be having a go at a bit of additional weathering with chalks next, but I won’t be getting any bench time for 10 days or so now. Still, getting there.

spacer.png

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Evening all - I've decided to consolidate all my Spitfire/Seafire builds under one ongoing thread, if you're interested in further progress on this one it can be picked up here:

Many thanks!

Tony

• Like 5