PRU pink Spitfire IX FR, 16 Squadron, RAF COMPLETE

4 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

Great work and good to see the fab results with the Colourcoats enamels. I'm the same - since returning to modelling I've used acrylics almost exclusively. But I bought a compressor and a couple of new airbrushes back in the summer and due to lack of mojo haven't tried them yet. I'm wondering whether now is a good time to give Colourcoats a go and see how I get on with them.

Cheers,

Mark

I very much hope you get your modelling mojo fully back again Mark. In whatever way you see fit.

When my order from Colourcoats arrived - and I'm sure this may sound weird - but I could intuitively feel even from the way the products were packed,

that the people behind the brand are passionate about what they do.

So, when I unboxed the paints, they felt special somehow.

And my first impression of using RAF interior grey/green is that the paint sprays exceptionally well, and the result is smooth, and the colour is super.

I ordered a few more colours to try out, and I'm very much looking forward to doing so, soon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Coming along nicely WP.

I have a very small number of Colourcoats paints including Eau-de-Nil and have been impressed by them. They used to be available from a shop in France but unfortunately not any longer, and being enamel it would cost an arm and a leg to get them sent here from the UK.

Looking forward to more.

John

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Coming along nicely WP - that Colourcoats is certainly a good match to my eye. If only I used enamels...

Cheers

Roger

• Like 3

Nice job on the paint WP, looking great and starting to come together very well.   I enjoy using Colourcoats enamels and really enjoy getting a delivery from them too, if you have not tried their Naptha thinners I can recommend that too, it also works well with Humbrol enamels and I thin my paint for brush painting.

Great work 

Chris

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

Nice job on the paint WP, looking great and starting to come together very well.   I enjoy using Colourcoats enamels and really enjoy getting a delivery from them too, if you have not tried their Naptha thinners I can recommend that too, it also works well with Humbrol enamels and I thin my paint for brush painting.

Great work 

Chris

Hi Chris,

is the naphtha thinners the product they specifically recommend for use with their paints?

Thanks,

Mark

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

Yes, it's great stuff Mark

Chris

Mark, and @bigbadbadge I forgot to mention I did also use their Naptha thinners to make the paint a 50% dilute for my airbrushing.

It dried almost as fast as acrylic on the model.

The thinners hardly smells at all. Nor does the enamel paint I tried.

It is stronger than acrylic paint, obviously - but not as strong as say, Mr Surfacer or a Tamiya lacquer paint.

Edited by Winded Penguin
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Winded Penguin said:

Mark, I forgot to mention I did also use their Naptha thinners to make the paint a 50% dilute for my airbrushing.

It dried almost as fast as acrylic on the model.

The thinners hardly smells at all. Nor does the enamel paint I tried.

It is stronger than acrylic paint, obviously - but not as strong as say, Mr Surfacer or a Tamiya lacquer paint.

Brilliant, thanks! I'll definitely be ordering some paint and thinners as soon as the thinners is back in stock :)

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

Hi Chris,

is the naphtha thinners the product they specifically recommend for use with their paints?

Thanks,

Mark

Hi Mark,

Their own brand thinners are naphtha based and as has been said there is almost no smell and the paint dries really quickly.

With dark colours like Night Bomber Black you can see it drying as you watch it.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 4

OK, two steps forward and one step back.

So my experiment with 'eau de nil' to provide cockpit highlights left me underwhelmed. My brush painting skills aren't up to my ambition level.

I've airbrushed over the result with more RAF cockpit grey/green. I'll probably come back and apply a highly thinned dark wash highlight later on instead.

I also rounded up other items needing RAF cockpit grey/green that were overlooked in the previous stage.

I also took the time to colour in some internal fuselage ribs that won't be seen - for experimentation on washes etc before proceeding.

These ribs at the rear of each fuselage half weren't pre-shaded with black.

In the photo below you can compare the different outcome using the RAF cockpit grey/green, with and without a black base.

spacer.png

I also tried out the PRU pink enamel from Xtracolour just on the outside facing camera port surround.

I'm adding the window to the inside before the fuselage is joined. I'm expecting a better result by painting the actual outward-facing surround before that step. 

However, the colour pink looks a bit too pink to do the entire plane with it.

As previously mentioned, I'm going to try some Revell acrylic white with red in 30-1 and 40-1 as a further experiment before doing the rest of the outside paint job.

I've also got a decision to make about pre-shading.

I haven't tried marbling yet. I might experiment with a black base coat and then go for a white or grey marble-type airbrush affect. Instead of applying black panel lines.

Before then applying the final colour pink.  Any and all feedback welcome, on this aspect: to marble or not to marble? 🤔

Thats all for today, thanks for your company

Edited by Winded Penguin
  • Like 9

Throwing some options around here: if you're thinking of pre-shading, why not think outside the box and use different colours that are complementary to the intended pink?

Yellows, whites and reds perhaps?

• Like 1

I’m not a big fan of pre-shading ( mostly because I’m rubbish at it ) I tend to go for post shading, on my PR 1G I used pastels and ran some very pale water colour into the panel lines. If I still have the pictures I’ll post some if you’re interested but you won’t hurt my feelings by saying no.

John

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

I’m not a big fan of pre-shading ( mostly because I’m rubbish at it ) I tend to go for post shading, on my PR 1G I used pastels and ran some very pale water colour into the panel lines. If I still have the pictures I’ll post some if you’re interested but you won’t hurt my feelings by saying no.

John

John, I'd appreciate you sharing those pics very much. Thank you.

@alt-92 regarding 

"Throwing some options around here: if you're thinking of pre-shading, why not think outside the box and use different colours that are complementary to the intended pink?

Yellows, whites and reds perhaps?"

-Thats also an idea with merit and I'd not thought of. If I go for pre-shading I'll try some experiments and post the outcomes. Thank you also.

• Like 2

Also not a proponent of marbling though I usually preshade areas I want to emphasise in one way or another.  

I would use a grey preshade on this scheme but most of the texturing would be done over the base, not under it.  As it’s a more or less white finish, subtlety is going to be the key - I’d use varying off-whites to build the finish.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, mark.au said:

As it’s a more or less white finish, subtlety is going to be the key - I’d use varying off-whites to build the finish.

Also attainable with oil filters (not the ones you use in your Ute btw).

• Haha 2

Pre shading can look amazing but my problem with it (apart from being ineptitude) is that it won't show through decals. If you paint your own markings it will often get obliterated too. IMHO post shading is much more effective technique. 

That said, it's your model and you should try whatever techniques you fancy having a go at and think you will get the most enjoyment from. 

Richie

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

These are the only two I can find at the moment, Photobucket kept a lot of my earlier photos when I refused to pay the ransom!

IMG_0490

IMG_0478

HTH

John. :pilot:

Hi John, thanks very much again for the pics here. Terrific PRU spit BTW 👍

The photos are extremely helpful and give me a few pointers.

One conclusion is I'd be very happy if I can get close to the same tone of pink: and you used 40:1 white to red mix ratio if I recall correctly.

• Like 1