PRU pink Spitfire IX FR, 16 Squadron, RAF COMPLETE

OK, with the benefit of a day for the opacity to settle, its clear a line was crossed and the original experiment transitions into the remedial phase.

I think someone with the required skill and experience could get this right, but as pointed out by several people, the line is a fine one.

spacer.png

In practical terms the situation has been either hinted at or directly referenced in some of the previous contributions on this thread: the red and black are competing.

To hide enough of the black underneath with white paint, means the red suffers - which is the active ingredient.

When I try this on another project, as @SaminCam suggested I'd substitute black for a grey base, then red, then white.

What comes next?

This now becomes a brand new challenge. How to obtain a pink tinge?

I need it pink enough to just pick out the white in the fuselage D-D half-stripes that follow before the decal stage.

Option 1: selectively airbrush a pink mist and leave the panel tonal variation intact. Promising, I'll test and report.

Option 2: add a red tint to the pre-decal gloss varnish. Promising, I'll test and report.

Option 3: complete repaint with a pink shade. Too drastic, and not needed I think.

Option 4: Experiment with an acrylic medium on a hidden area to see if the opacity can be tweaked at this late stage. Worth a test and report

No progress will be made on the model for the next few days, until I reach a conclusion and run the above tests.

That's all for now. Great to hear your further thoughts. Any other ideas, or things to try? 👍

• Like 10

I would go for an overall pink mist coat leaving some of the darker panels showing through, then if that fails back to the 40:1 pink mix.

Definitely no hint of pink to my eye in that last photo except on the canopy masking.  😜

john

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Looking at your last photo, in my opinion (a very humble one at that) what you have now is a beautiful array of tonal contrast. You mentioned earlier that you had ordered some MRP pink. My experience of MRP paint is that it is highly translucent and will not destroy the tones you have achieved so far. You can mix in MRP white if the pink is too pink for you. My suggestion would be to thin it with Mr levelling Thinner, give a few passes with the airbrush and see where that leaves you. Repeat if desired. As ever, remember it's your model, your rules. Go your own way, have fun with it and everyone will be behind you whatever the outcome.  This is a terrific project!

Richie

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RichieW said:

Looking at your last photo, in my opinion (a very humble one at that) what you have now is a beautiful array of tonal contrast. You mentioned earlier that you had ordered some MRP pink. My experience of MRP paint is that it is highly translucent and will not destroy the tones you have achieved so far. You can mix in MRP white if the pink is too pink for you. My suggestion would be to thin it with Mr levelling Thinner, give a few passes with the airbrush and see where that leaves you. Repeat if desired. As ever, remember it's your model, your rules. Go your own way, have fun with it and everyone will be behind you whatever the outcome.  This is a terrific project!

Richie

Thanks Richie. Actually it's Xtracrylic PRU pink I ordered. EDIT: CORRECTION - ITS AN ENAMEL BY EXTRACOLOR

Sorry if that wasn't very clear.

However, I've noted what you say about the benefits of MRP paint. Interesting.

This hobby at times can be rather like chemistry at school and I was never very good at that 🙂

Edited by Winded Penguin
  • Like 2

Guys, thanks for all the prompt replies on this. Much appreciated 👍

Good results came much more rapidly than I imagined. Basically I'm already sorted now 🙂

My first experiment worked!

My first instinct was definitely to do the mist first.

However, for some reason a voice in my head said to try the Pledge gloss first, just to see what happened.

So, I put a drop of XF7 into my usual pre-decal Pledge floor polish glossing stage and airbrushed a trial pre-painted white surface.

No real difference was observed.

So I added another drop of XF7 to the Pledge for the second pass. This time I saw a hint of a difference. Bingo!

As the test sample showed no adverse chemical reaction and dried normally, no reason I thought not to go right ahead on the model with Pledge red tint.

It looks link a red puddle in the dish, but even the 2 drops of XF7 in this quantity of Pledge was barely noticeable when airbrushed onto the model, after one pass.

spacer.png

I needed 4 passes, allowing 15 minutes between. Then I was happy I'd managed to achieve what I set out to do originally.

spacer.png

The photo is a bit disappointing. It doesn't really show how successful the Pledge tint turned out to be.

Tomorrow I'll try for some daylight shots. Basically I'm more than ecstatic with the end result. Way better than I imagined.

The moral of this test is for PRU pink in future, I'll try pre-shading using black with silver on top. Followed by a white coat, followed by a Pledge red XF7 tint. 

Interesting experiment using red  as a pre-shade effect. I found the transition fascinating but in the end couldn't get a result with it. Maybe others could get it to work, or use it for a different effect.

I hope you found this exercise interesting. I certainly lucked out with the Pledge tint, in the end to say the least.

Edited by Winded Penguin
Photo updated
  • Like 19

2 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

Great job.

I'm eagerly awaiting the daylight photos as well.

Nicely worked out.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thank you Alistair. I've just updated the photo above, which is a bit more representative. But, yeah tomorrow will hopefully be in🌞

• Like 2

Well, that was quite the ride!  

The result looks very good, and hopefully it doesn’t ameliorate with the subsequent finish coats.  I hope not because tinting the clear coat seems to offer some weathering opportunities.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mark.au said:

Well, that was quite the ride!  

The result looks very good, and hopefully it doesn’t ameliorate with the subsequent finish coats.  I hope not because tinting the clear coat seems to offer some weathering opportunities.

That's a good point Mark.

Maybe it needs one more pass to be safe 🤔

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

Is it sunny enough yet?  :penguin:

Howling wind and rain all day so far.

spacer.png

Outdoors is out of the question. Best I've come up with below still doesn't give an accurate tonal range.

I'm 100% sure I've captured the look I wanted with the original white/red/black experiment (even if this result only came about after cheating with the pink pledge).

I just haven't been able to overcome my photography limitations.

However, @mark.au is also surely on target with his comment. So I'll do one more pass of the pink Pledge.

This will make things slightly too pink for now, but I'm sure its correct that the final matt coat over the decals and weathering will knock things back slightly.

Therefore the extra pass is necessary to maintain the status quo.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thats all for now unless the sun pokes out 🌞

Thanks for dropping by

Edited by Winded Penguin
added photo
  • Like 11

Sun poked out briefly👍

spacer.png

spacer.png

Next step is one further pass with pink Pledge for insurance.

I'll join you next time with the D-Day fuselage half-stripes added. I'll mask off, and brush paint those on.

Thanks for watching

Edited by Winded Penguin
  • Like 12

Another day, another downpour 😉

One more 'to be safe' pass with pink Pledge, then my first ever D-Day stripes were applied.

More difficult than I thought to mask: I just couldn't get the tape to follow a continuous straight line, and still negotiate the curve underneath the fuselage.

In the end I painted/masked in 2 stages.

First stage was fuselage sides. Left a day to dry, then did the underneath. The join is there right enough, but it's not too obvious to the (my) naked eye.

Some clean-up will be required, but not much 👍

spacer.png

Also, with the extra pass ready for applying a matt finishing coat after applying the decals, it's a little easier for the camera to pick up on the shading effect now.

All in all, a good couple of days 👍

spacer.png

I'm starting to look ahead to the finish line, and intend to get this one tucked away, hopefully in the next few days. When I do the RFI I'll post some historical info in case people are thinking about modelling any of the other IXs flown by 16 Squadron in 1944.

Thanks for looking in on a 'rainy all day' day from the UK

• Like 13

3 hours ago, Winded Penguin said:

All in all, a good couple of days

Very much so, you're doing a grand job. I'm enjoying following your progress.

Richie

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

The extra pass and the stripes look great, not far to go now.

Great work 

Chris

Thank you Chris.

Actually, I forgot to mention in my last post that I did start to hand paint the stripes initially, starting with white. But then resorted to airbrushing.

The reason is, although 24 hours had passed since the last encounter with the pink Pledge, somehow brushing white on top then activated red pigment along the seams,

which bubbled to the surface.

So I stopped altogether and waited another 24 hours and went back to the airbrush, without further issue. 

• Like 4

Lovely work WP - the invasion stripes show the subtlety of finish you have achieved,

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2