1/32 Hasegawa Boeing P-26A Peashooter

Dear all -

Just finished this morning.   This was a kit very kindly given to me by a fellow member of the forum John (Viking) after he saw my Hasegawa Boeing P12E.

Some detailing and additions made to the basic kit as follows:

Added some additional control levers and rudder cables to the cockpit;

Cut and separated the elevators and cockpit hatch door;

Beefed up the boss to the kit prop;

added bracing cable spacers 

In addition, the cockpit seat, one engine cylinder and exhaust were missing from the kit.   I also managed to lose an exhaust part and broke the kit gunsight whilst removing from sprue.  All these parts were therefore scratch built.

vQCOvvU.jpg

Above is the cylinder I made up which is far from perfect but this was the most complex part to recreate

uB6UPKc.jpg

Once painted and installed along with all the other kit parts hopefully it does not notice too much?

rG37xBY.jpg

Above is the seat I made with a lap belt and the remade gunsight.

A crude pilot figure is included in the kit so I could not resist using him with a slightly altered pose (waving) so I can now display model either with or without him depending on how I feel.

Due to the age of the kit (early 1970's) there were a number of heavy pin ejector, sink marks and seams that all needed to be addressed.   Also, John included the original decal sheet but warned me that they were shot.   I therefore bought the 'Yellow Wings' decal set to replace them.   These decals are beauitifully printed and look great but they would not cope with heavy raised surface detail or curved areas with chipping and breaking apart no matter how much decal soft solution I used.  Therefore, cowling, headrest, wheel spats and tailplane had to be hand painted in on the areas that broke away.  This is a shame as it does detract on the finish in these areas sadly.

Model rigged using elastic 'Pryme' knitting (flat in section) thread for all bracing cables and Oschi standard elastic thread for antenna wires.   Model entirely brush painted as always.

So overall quite a challanging but highly enjoyable build.

Markings depict a Peashooter of the 95th Pursuit Group 1934 - 36.   No weathering undertaken as all souces state these aircraft were maintained to a high standard in this period.

Thank you John and I hope I have done this kit reasnable justice!   Apologies if there are too many pictures.

5SohZE2.jpg

WZXRwnr.jpg

JTazn1l.jpg

This one together with my previous P-12E 

fsYNK39.jpg

NqS9Pkf.jpg

MMmdunH.jpg

0sWcL9i.jpg

R9pl4xv.jpg

nEyyxSS.jpg

u8x3C2N.jpg

fdub6AK.jpg

gbDd8Ca.jpg

gB7HUi9.jpg

kGJ8acp.jpg

Regards

Dave

• Like 40
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Epeeman said:

This one together with my previous P-12E 

Where?  Lovely build, I just couldn't see a photo with the P-12 also starring- and I LOVE "group shots".

bob

p.s. No, I will NOT go dig out my P-26...

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, gingerbob said:

Where?  Lovely build, I just couldn't see a photo with the P-12 also starring- and I LOVE "group shots".

bob

p.s. No, I will NOT go dig out my P-26...

Sorry Bob -

Appropriate picture attached 

Dave

QZcoz3i.jpg

• Like 11

Beautiful yellow wing bird. Great job! I had the pleasure of seeing this aircraft during a visit to the Planes of Fame Museum. IIRC, she was still flying at the time. I have some photos somewhere, but I'm sure you've some of your own.     👍  👍  👍

Cheers,

Bill

• Thanks 1

I much enjoyed looking for the replacement cylinder on the engine - is there a prize for identifying it?

Superb model especially given the age of the kit. The added details are as good as the kit parts and the finish is truly eye-catching.

I think that you have done more than justice to this kit, and the P-12: a brilliant pair of yellow wings - winners both.

P

• Haha 1

Wow, what a fantastic job you made of that Dave, it's an absolute beauty. I was not aware that any parts were missing, but after nearly 40 years in my stash and 3 house moves I suppose something must have gone astray. You'd never know though, that replacement cylinder looks great as does the whole paint job. It a stunner and I'm really pleased to see it built to such a high standard, and what a great companion it makes to the P-12. I'm doubly glad to have passed it on to you!

Cheers

John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Viking said:

Wow, what a fantastic job you made of that Dave, it's an absolute beauty. I was not aware that any parts were missing, but after nearly 40 years in my stash and 3 house moves I suppose something must have gone astray. You'd never know though, that replacement cylinder looks great as does the whole paint job. It a stunner and I'm really pleased to see it built to such a high standard, and what a great companion it makes to the P-12. I'm doubly glad to have passed it on to you!

Cheers

John

Again, many thanks, John -

This has been one of my favourite projects to date and a thoroughly enjoyable (and challanging in parts) build and I was actually a little disappointed when I finished it.

Regards

Dave

• Like 1

Superb work Dave, your scratched engine cylinder completely blends in with the rest  of the engine. Looking closely at the photos I just can't see any areas where you had to  toich in where the decals fragmented. If i could brush paint like you I would never use an airbrush again!

Big kudos to Viking too for donating the kit from his stash. 

Richie

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, RichieW said:

Superb work Dave, your scratched engine cylinder completely blends in with the rest  of the engine. Looking closely at the photos I just can't see any areas where you had to  toich in where the decals fragmented. If i could brush paint like you I would never use an airbrush again!

Big kudos to Viking too for donating the kit from his stash. 

Richie

That's really very kind of you to say Richie -

I'm really pleased with how this one turned out and no, at this stage in my life I don't see me ever going over to an airbrush now!

Regards

Dave

• Like 1