A11 Matildas from Vargas and FCM

Kingsman

2 new kits of the A11 at about the same time, both in 3D resin printed. Both about the same price: $64 for Vargas and €67 for FCM, plus shipping from the USA or Spain respectively.  The FCM has been around a little while whereas the Vargas has just been announced.

Vargas seem to have a good reputation so far and do some interesting subjects

https://vargas-lg.myshopify.com/products/1-35-matilda-1-a11-infantry-tank

spacer.png  spacer.png

FCM have a decidedly mixed reputation to date.  However, Brett Green over on Missing Lynx calls this one "jaw-dropping".  His review is here http://www.missing-lynx.com/reviews/britain/fcmodeltrendmatildaireviewbg_1.html  

spacer.png  spacer.png

• Like 2

Could be just different photo quality between the two reviews, but the Vargas one looks crisper.   I have read that one method used to 'erase' the appearance of printed layers is to expose the resin to chemical fumes in a controlled container.   The downside is that crisp edges/details become less so.

Looks like some deformed teeth  at the five o'clock position on the FCM sprocket:

10_fs.jpg

• Like 1

Both kits have obviously referred to the Bovington tanks as they have all 3 survivors - 2 complete and a range wreck.  Vargas gives parts for the earlier and later configurations, for example the different driver's front plate and stowage bins.  Doesn't say if they give both 0.303 and 0.50 weapon options.  The FCM is the later configuration.  The Bovington runner is the later type while the static one shown on the Vargas artwork is the earlier type.  I hope they twigged that the running example is running on T26 bogies and tracks, not originals.

One thing I can see that Vargas have missed on their test print is the steel wheels on the rearmost 2-axle sub-bogie each side.  I can't make it out on the FCM print but their CAD artwork shows the right wheels.  If there are any duff teeth on the sprocket I'm sure that can be addressed relatively easily.  I'm actually being quite tempted to the FCM offering.  They have recently released a Morris LRC too, but not a lot seems to be known about it.  Very few images, no reviews.

spacer.png

• 5 months later...

Brett Green says some good things about it on Missing Lynx here http://www.missing-lynx.com/reviews/britain/fcmodeltrendmatildaireviewbg_1.html

The FCM is possibly cheaper and quicker if you're in Europe, although the Bovington Tank Museum shop have been stocking the Vargas kit in the UK.  They don't currently have any: all sold.

It seems that neither model is perfect, but then which one is?  The FCM turret sides certainly appear to be a little too vertical.

Edited by Kingsman
addition
  • Like 1