Rather detailed question on the F-86

Rob de Bie

I've been researching the stores of the Dutch F-84F for some time now. One of the stores is a simple rack for four practice bombs, as shown here in model form:

f84f-127.jpg

For a photo of the real thing, see here:

https://nimh-beeldbank.defensie.nl/foto-s/detail/384196c4-3f79-d5d2-fd09-70a96f5ab022/media/941f5ea7-be93-55da-6c5f-37f05a13188a

It's a bit of a mystery store, that had multiple names in RNLAF documents:

• Mk 25
  • R-3
  • Mk 7 carrier
  • LABS rack
  • LABS adapter

A few days ago, I found something interesting in this photo. Almost in the middle there's a stencil reading 'R 3 frag rack door':

f-84f_fu-30_47_of_49.jpg

On the internet, the oldest reference to the 'R-3 frag rack' is in the context of the F-86A, where it is mentioned as the 'R-3 fragmentation bomb rack'. I also found an 'R-1 rack' and an 'R-2 rack', without aircraft types mentioned. My preliminary conclusion is that the F-84F practice bomb rack started life as a fragmentation bomb rack.

Now for my question. I haven't found photos showing this rack installed on an F-86. Does anyone know of any? Also, maybe it's mentioned in the Flight Manual or a Tech Order? All snippets of information are welcome!

Rob

Edited by Rob de Bie

The only instance of 'frag' bombs fitted to the Sabre was a box-like pod, which NAA just referred to as a 'parafragmentation bomb rack'. It was fitted to the P-51-style bomb rack, which in fact was itself a 151-numbered rack designed specifically for the F-86A.

30 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

I may do. I have an early F-86A Parts Catalog which may show it. Possibly photos too. Will get back to you.

A big thanks in advance!

Rob

29 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

Incidentally while I'm looking, I have seen those racks on JASDF F-86Fs, so that is a definite.

Ah, very interesting. I did a Google Images search, but could not find one quickly.

Rob

10 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

The only instance of 'frag' bombs fitted to the Sabre was a box-like pod, which NAA just referred to as a 'parafragmentation bomb rack'. It was fitted to the P-51-style bomb rack, which in fact was itself a 151-numbered rack designed specifically for the F-86A.

Could that be the R-2 rack, instead of the R-3? The R-2 is listed as 'parachute fragmentation bomb rack', the R-1 and R-3 as 'fragmentation bomb rack'. For example here:

https://books.google.nl/books?id=WYrfAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA15&dq=%22fragmentation+bomb+rack%22&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiQ1ZbU7qP7AhUD76QKHbONCPgQ6AF6BAgEEAI#v=onepage&q=%22fragmentation%20bomb%20rack%22&f=false

The same listing can be found in other publications, but none offers more information.

Rob

20 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

Possibly on the bomb rack. But this is the one you are looking for:

Thanks, great find!! I had seen the designation AF/B37K before, I believe in a Bronco manual. But I don't understand how that designation fits in the USAF naming conventions.

If you might come across the 'R-3' designation in maybe an F-86A manual, please let me know!

Rob

• Like 1