Tally Ho! decals, any good?

Sturmovik

Want to know the community's opinion on Tally Ho! decals. I'm after how easy they're to use (if they slide over the model's surface before pressing them down with a cottob bud), and if they react well to Microsol (or any other softening solution).

Asking because my attempts to use decals from Eastern Europe (ICM, Eduard) left me with transfers stuck solid to the surface of the model before being able to slide them into their final position.

This is the set I'm interested in getting:

https://www.scalemates.com/cs/kits/tally-ho-cz-32005-fw-190-friedrich--120715

Edited by Sturmovik

• Sturmovik changed the title to Tally Ho! decals, any good?

I have used several different examples of them without any problems. Excellent decal performance, and the ones we helped with anyway, high quality research. The ones you are after are pre-2008, when they ceased production, which is probably not really old by decal standards but some care may be required. The Tally Ho guy did work for quite a few other Czech companies.

Note there have been two decal makers  using that name (the other being in Canada) so interpret reviews accordingly.

• Thanks 2

Just using some Tally Ho stencils on my Spitfire IX and they are performing well, they can stick instantly if you don't "flood" the area with setting solution or water.

Cheers

Dennis

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Ed Russell said:

pre-2008

The only date I was able to find was on Super Hobby of Poland. There, 32005 was placed in catalogue in 2017. Scalemates doesn't mention a production or release date.

11 hours ago, spitfire said:

Just using some Tally Ho stencils on my Spitfire IX and they are performing well, they can stick instantly if you don't "flood" the area with setting solution or water.

Cheers

Dennis

I'll be careful then. Last option if the test decal I use ends up sticking solid to my test mule's surface will be to make masks and paint.

On 10/11/2022 at 22:40, Ed Russell said:

I can assure you that Tally Ho went out of business in late 2008. It was a complicated exit from the industry. We sold off the last of their decals after that.

Is this the person who went to jail?

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Procopius said:

That would be Model Alliance.

Too bad, their Hawk decals like this and this were pretty nifty (even though I had to go into action because the Dragon Hawks required a replacement tail because there were two identical left side decals on the sheet, and the International Hawk missed the green part of pone of the Arab flags, only for an identical replacement to arrrive). 

Cheers,

Andre

Just to sure: there were TWO Tally Ho decal companies, one from Canada I think, and one in eastern Europe. Are you guys all talking about the latter? The Canadian one stopped long ago, maybe 2000?

Rob

Edited by Rob de Bie

7 hours ago, Ed Russell said:

No, worse than that - we think he got divorced but it was all a bit confused at the time. He certainly stopped making decals.

Some people would consider getting divorced like being released from jail...🤓

• Haha 1