Benz Patent-Motorwagen 1886 - ++Finished++ and Better photos added 16/1/23

@bigbadbadge, @Malc2, Thanks for your comments guys. After the Christmas celebrations, I was able to get back to figure painting today and Mrs B has had two coats of green on her dress and hat. The hair colour has been painted on all three so that leaves the flesh tones to finish the base colours, then I can start adding washes and highlights along with Bertha's scarf to wrap this phase up.

52598700954_2ddef0aea4_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Wherever and however your celebrating tonight, enjoy yourselves, and I wish you a Happy and Healthy 2023!

That's it for this year.

John

• Like 9

On 31/12/2022 at 20:34, bigbadbadge said:

Very nearly there now John the figures are staring to come alive now,  great work and have a very Happy New year too.

Chris

Yes, not too far off now Chris - but I have noticed that I have fitted the fork for the front wheel the wrong way around, so the bracket for the steering bar would be on the wrong side. A simple fix but annoying nonetheless.

On 01/01/2023 at 01:18, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

The figures really help to set the scene. 

Cheers Dennis, Mrs Benz in her best frock is definitely adding some colour. :)

On 01/01/2023 at 14:27, Col. said:

There's a good level of detail on those figures John and they certainly add a lot to the model.

I haved added the initial base colour and a wash to the flesh areas now Col, which has really brought the detail out in those areas. The base arrived on Friday and I have cut that in two and sprayed an earth tone over it today, I stil have to decide if I should drybrush the cobbles grey or add a wash to the base colour and leave it at that.

• Like 3

One of the jobs that I wanted to get out of the way before continuing with the figures was to correct a mistake I had made when assembling the front wheel. The two fork ends are the same shape and I had switched them around when assembling them, this meant that the connection for the steering bar was on the wrong side so a modification was required. I made a replacement attachment point from some plastic strip and after carefully removing that part from the wrong side I attached the replacement item to the correct side.

52615133778_ba131d8e2e_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

52615133833_a64336c956_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

I still have Mrs B's headscarf/shawl to assemble and I am comtemplating the best way of doing this - the plan up to now is to paint the inside, assemble the scarf on the figure and after filling where necessary paint the outside.

52615134068_6eeb1b708f_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

I had planned to paint the base with earthtones but didn't like the way it looked in the end, so I gave it a coat of grey and a wash of Citadel Nuln Oil which I was happier with. My initial attempt at painting the flesh tones left me feeling that the end result was too dark, I took the decision to try again to see if I could achieve a better result. I still have quite a way to go with my figure painting skills but these are much better than they were first time around, so that shows how bad they must have been - guess what my subject choice is for the 'Not in my Comfort Zone' GB. :lol:

Anyway here is a photo of the base, figures and vehicle to close things out with. 

52614904644_9a41473068_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Almost there with this one now.

John

• Like 8

On 13/01/2023 at 19:48, bigbadbadge said:

Very nice John ,looks great as does the base and your figures, great work 

Chris

Thanks Chris. You'll be pleased to know that all the figures now have their arms attached and I have even formulated a plan for attaching Mrs B's multi-part scarf, I think that I may have to paint this as a section is fixed in place to ensure that I have full access to each layer.

John

• Like 1

I completed painting up the figures today then gave  them with a coat of satin varnish to protect the paintwork. I then fixed Bertha in the driving seat and added the last of the parts to the steering, and that wrapped this one up.

52629345320_2a9d795177_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

52629156684_023cd37c8b_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Thanks for all the encouragement along the way, and especially to those of you who have taken the time to comment. 

That's all folks! (Well for now anyway)

John

• Like 6

• nimrod54 changed the title to Benz Patent-Motorwagen 1886 - ++Finished++

Have you used a filter on your photos as they look more like digital art than the real photos as in your build progress

Nice subject though, bravery figure painting as well :) 

Ian 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Redstaff said:

Have you used a filter on your photos as they look more like digital art than the real photos as in your build progress

No filters used Ian, though I can see what you mean. I don't know if it is the background or if they are out of focus. I'll see if I can get some better shots using a different colour background later.

John

• nimrod54 changed the title to Benz Patent-Motorwagen 1886 - ++Finished++ and Better photos added 16/1/23

Excellent result John :goodjob:

I particularly enjoyed watching your progress with this one and the story surrounding it. Madam Benz was quite a character and deserves a model dedicated to her.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Col. said:

Excellent result John :goodjob:

I particularly enjoyed watching your progress with this one and the story surrounding it. Madam Benz was quite a character and deserves a model dedicated to her.

Glad you have enjoyed it Col, I had a lot of fun putting it together, working with the etched spokes offered some challenges but once I had figured out the technique things became easier, and  the finished model has turned out well. As for Mrs Benz, she was able to spot the potential in Karl's invention and her trip Pforzheim makes her a true pioneer of the automotive industry - quite a formidable lady for that time.

John

13 hours ago, TimJ said:

Excellent build and great work on the figures. :thumbsup:

Thanks a lot Tim. Whilst not a strong point of mine the figure painting turned out OK and I seem to improve a bit more each time I tackle one.

John

• Like 1