Benz Patent-Motorwagen 1886 - ++Finished++ and Better photos added 16/1/23

This forerunner of the modern car will be my second choice for the GB and hopefully Mrs Benz and her sons will make an appearance too, though I must warn you that my figure painting skills are not that good but we will how they turn out. Here are the box and content shots.

52487853512_54785c1500_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

52488624414_93c3413f99_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

52488816895_c55b59d8ea_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

52488624444_5b463a8b08_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 12

Excellent subject choice John. This looks to be a rather complicated kit but also the best route for ICM to represent the subject accurately.

• Like 1

Some good progress made with this one. Most of the chassis has been assembled and painted, a number of the smaller sub-assemblies have also been put together. They still have to be cleaned up and then I can start to paint those details before I fix them to the chassis.

52496543057_a823049ded_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

And here are a couple shots with some of the sub-assemblies loosely placed in position.

52497308559_b2f53f38a0_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

52497308589_59499c794e_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Back with more soon.

John

• Like 11

19 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Looking good so far, looking forward to seeing how those spoked wheels look too.

Chris 

Cheers Chris, I have had to send for some paint for a couple of the details, so depending on how long it takes for those to arrive could mean that the wheels are in work sooner than expected.

John

• Like 1

The paint arrived on Friday and I have been pushing this one along over the past couple of days, completing most of the chassis assembly a short while ago. There are still a couple of small details to add before it is finished, but the next stage of the instructions calls for assembly of the wheels and following that the drive trains which will take care of all of the etch parts supplied. Here are some photos of the work so far.

52512419622_e9aa2a017a_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

52512894361_6855af5d97_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

52512419697_2d3f2b17da_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

52513371410_ca05077704_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

I decided to paint the centre of the flywheel a reddish-purple just to break up the black a little, though the kit instructions do give this colour as an alternative option, matched with the same colour on the engine cylinder. The drivebelt can either be scratch built or the alternative parts can be fitted, which is the option I chose to go with. A bit of a heads up for anyone chosing to go along this route, I would deviate from the kit instructions here and leave off the footboard until after the drivebelt assembly is complete, I found it quite tricky trying to fit the belt sections between the drive-pullies and whilst it is possible it would be easier without the board in place.

Whilst waiting for the paint to arrive I decided to tackle the front wheel halves using the etch spokes and jig supplied in this boxing. Here is how they turned out.

52512894551_8a1dfa3b9e_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

52513439368_bbb3cb4e77_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

It is now a matter of painting then gluing the two halves together to complete the assembly.

That's all for now, back with more soon.

John

• Like 13

• 3 weeks later...

As I move towards starting Phase 2 of this build, Phase 1, the assembly of the Motorwagen, is alnost complete with the exception of the steering. The next step will be assembly and painting of the three figures and I have left the steering mechanism off for now whilst I establish the correct position for Mrs Benz - the driver on this first family visit.

Here are a few photos of the  Phase 1 progress so far.

52561211372_62a85a0506_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

52561664721_28d6b7199e_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

52561957559_0a96e449fa_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

52561211267_405985f528_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Cheers for now.

John

• Like 15

On 13/12/2022 at 21:16, Learstang said:

Very nice work! So, where does the DVD-player go? (Somebody had to say something like this...)

Regards,

Jason

Thanks very much Jason, Your comment about the DVD player made me chuckle and also brought to mind the in-car entertainment of Laurel and Hardy. It was a wind up record player kept under the bonnet and Stan had get out of the vehicle to change the records.

On 13/12/2022 at 22:02, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Impressive work Its such a detailed piece. 

Cheers Dennis, it has been a nice kit to put together.

22 hours ago, Rob G said:

Very nicely done, a kit that I keep looking at but have yet to commit to buying. 

Once this is done, you'll need to do the AMG version. 

Thanks Rob, This kit is worth considering, in fact I am thinking of having a crack at one of their Model T's at some point.

But first, I have a Tamiya boxing of a DTM version of the CLK that has been on and off the bench over the past few years, so it may be time to get that one finished.

Update time

With a headless Bertha assembled, the arms were blu-tacked in place so that I could establish the best seating postion and check the fit of the steering. 

52562351252_9861cd2f38_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Initial checks show that one of the slots would be covered by Bertha's dress...

52563271280_740c0f7174_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

but after some trimming of the dress and the area behind her knees, it was found that a workable solution could be achieved - though I will have to leave the steering off until the figure is complete,

52563343838_0d5efaca64_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Time now to tidy up the joins.

Back again soon.

John

• Like 10

On 15/12/2022 at 23:02, Old Man said:

That's looking great, Sir!

Impressed the wife....

Thanks for taking the time to comment. My wife seems to like this model too, maybe it is due to the lack of wings which is my usual fare. :lol:

Cheers.

John

• Like 1

7 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

Thanks for taking the time to comment. My wife seems to like this model too, maybe it is due to the lack of wings which is my usual fare. :lol:

Cheers.

John

As well as being an uncommon subject I like its human interest factor.

• Like 1

Hi John,

Thats a great model of an iconic vehicle.

I have a question about the spokes of the main wheels, do you think it it is possible to assemble the wheels with the spokes bent at the hub so the spokes are straight - as seen from head on?

Malc.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Col. said:

As well as being an uncommon subject I like its human interest factor.

And this one is a great story too Col. According to the Motor Museum in Miniature site

According to info on The Motor Museum in Miniature site, Karl Benz was reluctant to promote his vehicles, but Bertha felt that they needed to make people aware of them, so along with her two boys she planned a visit to her family home in Pforzheim. The 56 mile journey time is stated as having taken somewhere between 12 and 15 hours, and Bertha had to carried out running repairs along the way - clearing a fuel line blockage with a hairpin, and fixing a broken ignition with her garter. She also had asked a blacksmith to fix a damaged drive chain and a cobbler to add leather to the worn wooden brake blocks thus inventing brake linings and giving us the term 'brake shoes'.

I also wonder if, because the journey was made without the knowledge of her husband Karl, she could also be guilty of committing the first TWOC offence. :lol:

John

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Malc2 said:

Hi John,

Thats a great model of an iconic vehicle.

I have a question about the spokes of the main wheels, do you think it it is possible to assemble the wheels with the spokes bent at the hub so the spokes are straight - as seen from head on?

Malc.

Hi Malc,

Thanks for your comment. 

Re the spokes on the mainwheels, I think that with some care it would be possible to bend the etch spokes from the hub to keep them straight, the small tabs at the wheel rim may also need a slight bend in the opposite direction to get them  to lie flat in the indents around the inside face. It may be possible to utilise the alignment jig for this perhaps by clamping the small hub part in postion to keep the etch in place. 

There are three boxing of this kit, this version with figures and etch spokes, a simpler version with plastic spoked wheels, and a version with no figures but both etch and plastic spokes included. For reference, below are a couple of photos of the spoke setting jig.

It is suggested that the rims are kept within the fret and the four holes are used to locate the fret

52570037665_3266ec8e50_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

You then have to work your way around locating the spokes as you go and then the small part is used to create the angle at the hub, I think that you should be able to use this to create the bend at the hub. 

52569594961_d8c8e5e9df_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Hope this helps.

John

• Like 1

The figures of Bertha's two boys have been assembled, with just the arms on the front one to fix in their final position. Looking at the box art I think that he is holding on to part of steering mechanism so I can't add those until I have fixed that in place.

52568962437_11ab3ff00b_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Here is a top view, the white paper has been folded to the rough dimensions of a base that I have ordered.

52569866415_9c4b848b44_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Regards.

John

• Like 9