RIP Eduard's 1/72 Scale Revolution

Procopius

"Modelers who work in 1:72nd scale often complain, and loudly at that, that we neglect them. I’m sorry for that. I confess that we are first and foremost a 48th scale manufacturer with a soft spot for the legacy of the old Monogram kits, but even so, we do have a segment of our plans dedicated to your scale. "

-- Info Eduard for November (emphasis mine)

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

4 minutes ago, Piotr Mikolajski said:

Nothing new, this information has been repeated for a few years now.

I confess to having been unaware, but I'm sure this is probably not the first time it's been said -- I've just been distracted by children.

• Haha 4

Czechia is a rather small country - do they really have room for all those 1/48th scale kits? Eduard, repent your heresy and come back to the one, true scale, 1/72nd scale, the gentleman's scale!

Best Regards,

Jason

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 8

I think this has to do with the economy in general, good economy for the past few years, which brought 1/32 even 1/24 for planes, 1/16 for tanks, 1/12 for cars, people have more money to spend, not counting all the after market companies that now exist, is great for the hobby, because more competition creates better products, but the smaller scales suffer as they don’t sell as well, there is demand for bigger scales, we will see what the future brings with the economy turmoil in the horizon, people will want to spend on their hobbies, but not as much, so the 1/72 revolution may come again. In the mean time i think Arma and Special Hobby has us covered.

• Like 1

As a modeller whose eyesight and dexterity are declining rapidly 1:48 suits me just fine.

I used to do 1:72 but there was never any time in my life when 1:144 was manageable!

1 hour ago, Killingholme said:

In Europe houses are getting smaller. But model kits are getting bigger??? I'm actually considering doing future WWII heavies in 1/144... 

If only there was a good selection of modern kits of this subject area in 1/144. There is the Fujimi B-29, which is quite good. There’s the Amodel Lancaster which is … less good. There are some resin kits by Anigrand. Don’t forget all those old Crown/Minicraft kits, many of which are quite forgettable. Then there are the F-toys kits which are just unassembled versions of their completed models. It’s not a great selection.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Procopius said:

"Modelers who work in 1:72nd scale often complain, and loudly at that, that we neglect them. I’m sorry for that. I confess that we are first and foremost a 48th scale manufacturer with a soft spot for the legacy of the old Monogram kits, but even so, we do have a segment of our plans dedicated to your scale. "

-- Info Eduard for November (emphasis mine)

I am sure these guys know their business well.  I think they know where their niche markets are and they will focus all their efforts on them.  ARMA is focusing on 1/72 WWII subjects, but I totally understand their focus on that niche although I don't build 1/72 popular WWII subjects...

• Greg B locked this topic
  • Greg B unlocked this topic
1 hour ago, TheKinksFan said:

I've had just this hobby for just three years, so when was it that Eduard announced their '1/72 revolution'? Was it really an official announcement and and what was actually promised? 

It was some years ago, i think it started with their 1/72 Mig-15, they even printed a lady liberty with a flag next to a text that read 1/72 revolution.

Also, i think they may be leaving new 1/72 development to Special Hobby and concentrating on bigger scales, so there is no competition between the 2.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, czaralko said:

Also, i think they may be leaving new 1/72 development to Special Hobby and concentrating on bigger scales, so there is no competition between the 2.

I hope you are right and SH will release more kits in the same high standard as Bf 109 Emils, or at least the P-40s. The Fairey Battle (Azur/SH) will be tooled in Ukraine, it will be interesting too see what the quality will be.  But it's not all gloom and doom, at least Eduard should start releasing their 1/72 Bf 109Fs. I'm not sure if the Gs will be released during 2023 or 2024.

• Like 1