Correcting frames of cockpits

dov

Does anybody ever corrected frames?

Cockpits have usually external and internal frames. Mostly all kits the cockpit clear parts show just external frames. Even if there is just an internal frame.

No matter which type.

Ju-88, Ju-87, Me-110, Helifax,. 

I think about removing the external frame, and just spraying inside.

Has anyone experience on this matter?

Happy modelling 

Yep. I have no hesitation on sanding off external frames and masking and respraying internal frames if need be as described by my modded Italeri Ju-87 D5 here with some comments on the Airfix R2. 

Ray

• Like 2

I am not sure that it is a good idea. Or even more - I suggest not to to this. The thickness of a plastic is relatively large, so when you will paint inside and outside you will suddenly see the distance between them at  any other angle then perpendicular. So it will look like a displacement of colors. The much better method  is to paint the underside color first and then the external color as the second on the frames but only from outside. Then you will have a let say gray inside of frame looking through windows and let say  dark green outside. I am doing this double painting  when the frames are wide. 

Regards

J-W

• Like 4

23 hours ago, JWM said:

I am not sure that it is a good idea. Or even more - I suggest not to to this. The thickness of a plastic is relatively large, so when you will paint inside and outside you will suddenly see the distance between them at  any other angle then perpendicular. So it will look like a displacement of colors. The much better method  is to paint the underside color first and then the external color as the second on the frames but only from outside. Then you will have a let say gray inside of frame looking through windows and let say  dark green outside. I am doing this double painting  when the frames are wide. 

Regards

J-W

Fair comment for most injection-moulded canopies. It's fine to paint the inside on vac-form canopies, which I much prefer anyway when I can get them. That said, I did recently hand-paint all the interior framing on the inside of a Frog Baltimore nose transparency, that was quite an adventure. Haven't painted the outside yet so we'll have to see...

Hallo 

I did it. The outside rear frame of the gunner area is removed. Grinded & polished. Looks much more realistic.

Painting with masks only. Here I use New Ware masks, which are to my opinion the best.

When it is sprayed, I will show you.

Happy modelling 

On 11/9/2022 at 2:04 PM, bentwaters81tfw said:

I have done this on Mach 2 canopies, because they are thick and generally obscure. Sanding and polishing with Micro Mesh. I have done it on other thinner canopies, but the risk of breakage is high. Only if necessary.

23 hours ago, JWM said:

Sure, this is the only way to use Mach 2 transparent parts... ;)

23 hours ago, Mike said:

Can concur :poop:

Gentlemen, when considering a Mach 2 kit, isn't necessary to plan on sanding, polishing, grinding, cursing and nearly throwing away every single part in the box?  Mach 2, sanding sticks, putty and much medicinal beverages all go together.  Just my humble opinion.

I'm a firm proponent of masking the inside, painting that, masking the outside and finally painting that.  If that's not an option, I'll spray the interior colour on the outside first and then overspray it with the exterior shade.