Tamiya 1/48 Humber Armoured Car Mk.IV -- Finished

This is Tamiya's 1/48 'British 7ton Armored [sic] Car Mk.IV', a.k.a., Humber Armoured Car.

Humber-start0.jpg

The name of the kit is odd given its descriptive form. Humber doesn't appear anywhere on the box or in the instructions. I wonder if there was a licensing issue associated with the current marque owner?

There are 3 sprues and a small decal sheet for the Polish 1st Armoured Division

Humber-start1.jpg

The unit badge is insipred by the Polish Hussars, a heavy cavarly unit active in the 16th through 18th centuries.

1st-armoured-division-badge.jpg

I'll build this OOB.

• Like 12

And built! :penguin:

Humber-built0.jpg

Humber-built1.jpg

But I have 2 questions.

1) What is this thang? It is to be mounted on the left rear side. Perhaps a spare light? It's not present on the photo below, which is the only rear-quarter photo I was able to find. The pock-marked square face scales out to 10 inches square,

Humber-thang2.jpg

2) What color are the fire extinguisher bottles? I found some reference for my Firefly that caused me to paint them green (not Olive Drab). This restored vehicle has them dark red.

Grabs-extinguisher.jpg

I also notice that Tamiya missed grab handles on the engine cover. While I'm at it, I'm also not thrilled about the tow rings(?) they molded onto the hull...

• Like 10

I believe it's the jack. A bar locates into the socket on the side.

Not sure about the fire extinguisher. Presumably not red, but the vehicle colour maybe?

Nice build so far!

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, IanC said:

I believe it's the jack. A bar locates into the socket on the side.

Ah, that makes sense!

Hm, I filled in those divots. Perhaps it should be hollowed out? Will need some google for this...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, dnl42 said:

Ah, that makes sense!

Hm, I filled in those divots. Perhaps it should be hollowed out? Will need some google for this...

No, those holes are in the base on which the jack is stowed - note the strap retaining it - so I assume can be left filled. The bar would locate into the bit sticking out from the side of the bell shaped jack itself, as seen in your first photo. You could hollow that out a bit if you want, but tricky - I think it's a square hole! 

That's enough jack speak...😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Base paint is on.

Humber-painted.jpg

About the fire extinguisher. My google foo has found contemporaneous photos of the rear quarters of the vehicle, but no fire extinguishers are present. To be sure, photos of modern restored vehicles do have fire extinguisher, as do all models... :wonder:

Thanks for looking! :bye:

• Like 10

It is indeed coming along quite nicely. That's the beauty of these Tamiya 1/48 AFVs.

And I do indeed plan at least one more. I have a Flightpath 1/48 Beaverette Mk.III Airfield Defence Vehicle as well as a Verlinden 1/48 V100 Patrol Car in the wings.

• Like 1

Thanks for all your kind comments!

Here's an annotated crop of IWM object MH 3709

IWM-MH-3709-Humber-Armoured-Car-crop.jpg

Red box. This is one of the many contemporaneous photos I've found that lead me to believe fire extinguishers are post-war at best. There's nothing here consistent with a fire extinguisher.

More imortantly, I haven't found any contemporaneous photos with evidence of a fire extinguisher. I'd be delighted proven wrong--I won't have to fill in holes!

Green box. I originally thought the part Tamiya provided was an exhaust, and drilled it out as if it were a tube. Well, it wasn't. There's an exhaust below the chassis, which I did drill out. This photo shows a hole, but it appears it's smaller than would be consistent with a tube.

Is it possible this was a shaft for an external crank starter? Having written that, there isn't a crank among the pioneer tools.

• Like 5

Painting is done! :penguin:

Humber-painted2.jpg

As you might guess, I caved on the fire extinquishers as trying to fill those hose at this point would be Very Hard(TM). I contrived to break the nearside mirror during the final bit of paiting;. Luckily, I found it and was able to reattach.

I also bent some 0.11 in brass rod to replace the tow rings and add hand holds for the engine compartment.

Humber-painted1.jpg

There are those gaping difficult-to-reach holes for the fire extinguishers.

Thanks for looking. :bye:

• Like 11

Finished!

Mark Fit Strong made quick work of Tamiya's decals. Well, a little too quick work of the front colors and serial number as some repairs were needed.

Humber-final0.jpg

As on the Firefly, I used Mr.Color RLM 71 for the base color and Mr.Color OD Shadow and Highligthts for color modulation followed by Vallejo Olive Green wash. Mr.Color Tire Black was used on the tires and Alclad Exhaust Maniforld on the exhaust. AK Gun Metal is on the MG. WEM Colourcoats Bronze Green for the should-not-be-there fire extinguishers. A blend of The Army Painter Warpaints Shining Silver and AK Black was used for the pioneer tools.  A blend of Army Painter Warpaint Corpse Pale and Oak Brown was used for the wooden handles. Molotow Liquid Chrome was used for the side mirrors and light. Finally, MSI Micro Flat was applied to even it all out.

• Like 18

• dnl42 changed the title to Tamiya 1/48 Humber Armoured Car Mk.IV -- Finished
  • 3 weeks later...

A very nice clean model. I like the combination of the Mr.Colour RLM 71 for the base and Mr.Colour OD Shadow. Overall it looks great.

Well done

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...