Briseis

Briseis, a beautiful priestess of Apollo, was the wife of King Mynes of Lyrnessus, an ally of Troy. When the Achaean hero Achilles led the assault on Lyrnessus, he slew the husband and captured Briseis to be his unwilling girlfriend.
Back at the Greek camp -- Agamemnon was compelled by Apollo to give up his own Trojan concubine, Chryseis, so he demanded that Achilles hand over Briseis as compensation. Achilles was bad enough, but the thought of Agamemnon made Briseis even more unwilling. As related in The Iliad, this turn of events prompted the dispute with Achilles that ended up in Briseis being delivered to Agamemnon and the Greeks greatest warrior completely withdrawing from battle. Which all too predictably resulted in disastrous consequences for the Achaeans. Despite Agamemnon's subsequent grand offers of gold and women, Achilles did not return to the war until the death of Patroclus at the hand of the Trojan Prince Hector.

For this scene I’ve chosen not to depict Achilles, he’s sulking in his tent, (as per Homer and the Brad Pitt movie "Troy"). Instead, it’s left to Patroclus to have a protracted argument with Menelaus and his Spartans over the fate of the attractive priestess. Agamemnon finally loses the rag with his rather inept brother and intervenes, shouting and bawling, to drag his prize away.

All miniatures, most of them liberated and recycled from an old diorama, are 54mm and include kit figures from El Veijo Dragon, Romeo, Masterclass, Ares Mythologic and Phoenix, plus two Spartans from First Legion.
The shrine is from John Gittins range of scenic accessories and the statue of Apollo in his Sun Chariot was picked up at a market stall in Hong Kong.
Groundwork is my usual celluclay base laid over a wooden miniature display table, static grass, sand and scatter material from Reality in Scale.

1a.jpg

2a.jpg

3a.jpg

4a.jpg

5a.jpg

6a.jpg

Cheers

H

• Like 17

15 hours ago, Vince1159 said:

Beautiful job Cadman...

Cheers Vince.

Like the vast majority of my stuff, it's a simple enough little scene.

• Like 1

54 mm. figures!? Man your painting skills are incredible! 😜

Seriously - your vignette needs to be displayed with a magnifying glass to do it justice 🤩

PS. You are the only one ever in Britmodeller to base his modelling work on one of history's great heroic poetry. You have my unlimited admiration 🥲

Cheers, Moggy

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Moggy said:

54 mm. figures!? Man your painting skills are incredible! 😜

Seriously - your vignette needs to be displayed with a magnifying glass to do it justice 🤩

PS. You are the only one ever in Britmodeller to base his modelling work on one of history's great heroic poetry. You have my unlimited admiration 🥲

Cheers, Moggy

Really?

I always thought that my, err, "Claim To Fame" was that way back in the mists of time I had based a diorama scene on a 2,500 year old play by the Athenian scribbler, Euripides, and a poem by the Victorian Poet Laureate, Alfred Lord Tennyson...(spot the recycled figures)...😉

08.png

PS.

IPHIGENIA 

I was cut off from hope in that sad place,
Which yet to name my spirit loathes and fears,
My father held his hand upon his face,
I, blinded by my many tears,
Still strove to speak; my voice was thick with sighs,
As in a dream, dimly I could decry,
The stern black-bearded kings, with wolfish eyes,
Waiting to see me die.
Arthur, Lord Tennyson, 1809 - 1892

Edited by Cadman
Postimage being a pest
  • Like 3

Well - it can be construed as an extension of this early work 😇

As Euripides' work is based on Homer's poetry 🧐

Lord Tennyson even more so 🙃

BTW I had missed YOUR early work - thank you for the pictures and the verse

I like Victorian poetry - although I must say I haven't read much poetry this last year. Some Kipling - but that's as far as it goes ;)

It would be really interesting how a diorama based on "Ulysses" would look like! 

Cheers, Moggy ("Some work of noble note, may yet be done")

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...