Airbus A319 British Airways Centenary Scheme - ++FINISHED++

I started adding the decals to the fuselage this afternoon and this is how things are at the end of my first session. One side with the cheatline and tail logo in place. and the other completed.

52638717961_49a90c99b0_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

52639151995_d57bfb69c8_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

I have a bit of a gap between the cockpit window and the cheatline which is probably my error and will require some touch up to sort it out. I hope to get the other side finished tomorrow then I can focus on the wings, engines and the fiddly bits to wrap this one up.

Cheers.

John

• Like 8

Looks good John, shame about the gap behind the cockpit.

How did the decal fit over the nose?  On this type of scheme (thinking BOAC) I've struggled a couple of times to get the decal on without any wrinkles.

The last time we flew (Feb 2020) I got quite excited to see this as we walked towards the gate at LHR to come back to MAN but unfortunately it was on the stand next to our flight 🙁  On the 😀 side though we had gone out across the Atlantic on G-CIVB with its centenary livery.  

Mike

• Like 1

On 20/01/2023 at 20:26, Col. said:

This classic scheme does look great on a modern airframe John and seeing the decals going on vindicates your subject choice.

From the days of a mis-spent youth watching aircraft movements whilst sat on top of the International Pier at Ringway, I was always a sucker for anything sporting the Big Red Square Col - and when I saw this... well as soon as the decals were available I decided that I would build one. You are right though, it does look great on the A319.

John

On 21/01/2023 at 07:02, CliffB said:

This is looking so nice John!

Thanks Cliff, I am pleased with the way it is going so far.

John

On 21/01/2023 at 08:18, FortyEighter said:

Looks good John, shame about the gap behind the cockpit.

How did the decal fit over the nose?  On this type of scheme (thinking BOAC) I've struggled a couple of times to get the decal on without any wrinkles.

The last time we flew (Feb 2020) I got quite excited to see this as we walked towards the gate at LHR to come back to MAN but unfortunately it was on the stand next to our flight 🙁  On the 😀 side though we had gone out across the Atlantic on G-CIVB with its centenary livery.  

Mike

Cheers Mike, 

I have sorted the gaps behind the cockpit window using some pieces of Xtradecals black decal stripe. 

The fit of the decal around the nose wasn't too bad, though I did have to make a couple of small nicks with a scalpel and they settled down well after a brush over with MicroSol, I also trimmed them to length at the radome join. The small red squares are supplied as individual decals so painting the cheatline is possible and would alleviate the gap issue I had. I have taken a few more photos so that you can see how things are underneath.

52640093306_d79d05fbcb_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

52639579352_a73bbcd1c8_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

52640567058_6ef3cff925_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

You were very lucky to get a flight on G-CIVB, it must have been close to her final flight before being withdrawn from service.

John

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I finished the decals on the starboard side earlier today and then patched up the gaps behind the cockpit windows. I now want to check a few photos to see which of the kit stencils can be added to the fuselage.

52640567238_46062efd2d_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

52639579832_30a145c7ca_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

52640349624_ce8878fdbe_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Cheers.

John

• Like 10

• nimrod54 changed the title to Airbus A319 British Airways Centenary Scheme - ++FINISHED++